I am a media whore: Reporters blog

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I am a media whore. Not the usual one of the showbiz or political type obsessed with flashy headlines about me. I am the real media whore who sells you cheaply and can even sell my credentials for the right price, threat or inducement.
No marks for guessing my name. I am in every media organization, be it a TV channel or a newspaper.
My primary role is to exploit my staff and dance to the tunes set by my masters. Though I am a media whore, my masters actually treat me worse than a dog. For a number of reasons, some of them well justified, because of my selfishness and being an enemy of my own kind, especially those more talented than myself.
In the era of icons of journalism, talent was groomed and given opportunity to prosper. Merit, honesty and integrity were the sole criterion for a journalist to survive.
It has changed today, for today it is the era of pygmies. Nepotism rules. Personal likes and dislikes matter. Anyone who can be a better sucker has better opportunity and chances.
After becoming a media whore, I have conceded ground and editorial space due to my incompetence, lack of education, experience and skills. Thats why my masters also treat me worse than a dog.
I have a few other qualities, including my unflinching faith in my ability of making a fool of everyone, all the time. I do not have any conscience. I can tell little white lies and big fat lies to anyone and everyone, as and when required to save my own two penny worth of leftover crumbs. But if someone pats me to snatch bread from someone else, I dont take much time to do that in the name of restructuring.
Restructuring is another name and method I have coined to cover up my lack of professional abilities to run an organization in an efficient manner. Rather than admitting failure of plans to deliver, I suggest my masters to fire those getting the lowest salaries to cover up the losses accruing as a result of my faulty policies. I have no conscience; therefore I do not resign first. I do not have a conscience, morality and integrity; therefore I prefer to fire the weakest and lowest salary takers to save my fat cheque of millions. I believe in cannibalism. I am the cannibal of journalism and journalists.
I am also good at making false promises. I make false promises to my masters. False promises of being the cheapest whore with the lowest conscience so that they continue to be ensnared by my deceitful charms. And my one deceitful charm they love the most is my ability to wag my tail in front of the masters all the time. This includes bargaining and selling out the journalists and their journalistic work. I can even stop a well-documented investigative news story if the right price, inducement or threat is offered. There are countless such stories I have stopped to protect the corrupt because they were my beneficiaries or beneficiaries of my masters or else they could make my life hell.
But I make it a point not to let you stupid reporters know how and on what price I am selling you out. If you find it out that I sell you, you will not enjoy the feeling of being sold out, and that too cheaply. Some of us media whores are so rotten today that we shamelessly confess how editorial decisions are dictated commercially and by non-editorial factors.
Despite my hypocrisy, I love to lecture all and sundry on the virtues of honesty, integrity, morality and hard work.
When it comes to hard work, I am the one typical legless creature who teaches others how to walk. I insist and demand breaking stories from my reporters, but if asked to do the same, I would be left running for cover to hide my incompetence for throughout my career I do not recall giving any earth shattering story. Had I ever been a competent reporter I would not have bargained and sold out my reporters commercially.
I only wag my tail before my masters. But, I show my grisly colours and vampire teeth to my staff whenever they ask for any increase in salary or increments.
I have exposed my teeth for the weak and howl at them for I have been making umpteen false promises to them. Being a hypocrite to the core, I used my charms to sit with them and cry with the helpless. But, whenever reminded about my false promises, I come up with excuses, excuses based on solid foundations of lies, lies and more lies.
I can easily spare millions in pay cheque for anyone I like. But if it comes to a couple of thousand rupees which can save someones ailing mother or get education for someones child, I fall back on the same old often repeated mantra of blaming my owners for being misers and bounty hunters interested in only filling their coffers and not caring for the honest hardworking bloke. Had I not developed this quality of sweet talk and lying through my teeth, how could I become a media whore? I am media whore because I am the most insecure person in my organisation. I am also the most incompetent, having no speciality. You might have guessed my name by now. Yes. You got it right. I am an Editor. I am also Director of News. I am the real media whore.

REPORTERS NOTE: If any Editor or Director News in todays Pakistani media can claim never to have violated the journalistic code of ethics, or usurped the rights of workers or bargained on a news story, REPORTER would love to provide specific names and instances in each case as the era of the icons is over and pygmies walk in shoes too big for their sizes.
_________________________________________________________________________________
REPORTER is a Pakistani journalist who started his career from print, moved on to TV, made documentaries and also hosted a prime time programme. He finally got censored but now REPORTER has found a new voice and blogs for www.topstoryonline.com

[URL]http://www.topstoryonline.com/i-am-a-media-whore-reporters-blog

[/URL]

Geek

Clarification : It is written by Arshad Sharif who was doing a talk show on dawn news by the name of REPORTER, and that was taken off air by the management of dawn news, there were some differences between this journalist and management that are unknown.

moazzamniaz

اخبارات اور ٹی وی چینلز کے مالکان واقعی ہر قانون اور احتساب سے بالا تر ہیں اور اکثر اپنے ہی ذاتی مفادات کے دلال ہیں. ارشد شریف صاحب نے بھی سارا غصہ اپنی ہی برادری کے صحافیوں(ایڈیٹراور ڈائریکٹر نیوز) پر نکال دیا، لیکن سنانا مالکان کو ہی چاہ رہے ہیں