Attack key for Pakistan-India semi win, says Latif

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Rashid-Latif12-640x480.jpg

By AFP
Published: March 26, 2011

Latif says India on their home ground will be favourites.
KARACHI: Former captain Rashid Latif Saturday tagged India favourites for World Cup semi-final against arch-rivals Pakistan but said an attacking team stood more chance of victory at Mohali.
India, winners of the World Cup in 1983, meet the 1992 champions Pakistan in the semi-final on March 30, a match which has already left millions of fans across the border in a frenzy.
Latif said India on their home ground will be favourites. India in India are favourites, there is no doubt, Latif told AFP. But as a unit the Pakistan team has been very composed in this World Cup, so the team which attacks more will win.
Pakistan topped their group with five victories and one defeat, while India lost to South Africa and tied their match against England besides winning the four other matches.
India ended Australias 12-year domination when they beat the defending champions by five wickets in the quarter-finals on Thursday.
Pakistan overwhelmed the West Indies by 10 wickets in the last eight stage on Wednesday. Latif, a member of Pakistan team who lost to India in the 1996 World Cup quarter-finals, said losing to their rivals is always painful.
I was part of that game and I still feel the pain, said Latif of Pakistans 39-run defeat at Bangalore. People have not forgotten that match even after 15 years. Every player wants to be remembered in history and an Indo-Pak encounter is an ideal opportunity to reach stardom in a flash.
Latif hoped current Pakistan coach Waqar Younis gets a chance of revenge against India. No one can understand the agony better than Waqar, and he is lucky to have another chance to erase the bitter memories, said Latif of the former paceman who went for 67 in his 10 overs in that game.
Latif urged the management to include Shoaib Akhtar in the semi-final line-up.
Akthar has always been a team man, and his aggression and zeal, while playing against our arch-rivals, could be beneficial, and I feel the management is aware of this, said Latif of the paceman who will retire after the World Cup.
Latif, a former wicket-keeper batsman, said the passion of an India-Pakistan match spurs on the players. With the unity amongst the players this team stands a good chance against India.
The Akmal brothers, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq and Younis Khan will the players to watch.

________
The Express Tribune

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Watching Pakistan play final is a priority: Aleem Dar

The Express Tribune
Dated : 26 Mar,2011

Aleem Dar has backed the UDRS under criticism from various quarters and claimed the system helped him officiate tough matches. PHOTO: AFP
DHAKA:
He has officiated in almost every high-profile tournament and in crunch finals since 2006 but for Aleem Dar, watching his country reach the big stage is a priority.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) Elite Panel umpire will officiate the final in Mumbai on April 2 but will be reduced to a spectator should the 1992 champions beat India in Mohali on Wednesday.
I want Pakistan to play the final, said Dar. Its of greater importance than me officiating the World Cup final.
Dar, who was a recent recipient of the Pride of Performance award by the government of Pakistan, said the country was uplifted by the teams superb run in the tournament. I see the sights on the streets on television here and I can imagine the entire country praying and backing the team.
Dar has earned respect through high-quality umpiring that has also earned him the ICC Umpire of the Year award for two years running. And while the tournament has seen a controversial Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS), Dar said the technology has helped make the game error-free, to some extent.
Personally, Ive felt relaxed during matches. It helps me focus better and I really feel the UDRS should be implemented across all formats and tournaments. added Dar.
The 42-year-old recalled a conversation he had during a seminar before the World Cup and how he advised a fellow umpire to forget that the technology even existed. When youre on the field, theres a lot of pressure. One can make mistakes but I advised him to forget that the technology is available. The benefit of the doubt, though, should be given to the batsman. The bowler can claim his wicket again but the batsman has one chance so a wrong decision is unfair to him.
Dar, who has been an umpire for 11 years and has officiated in 53 Tests, 143 One-Day Internationals and 18 Twenty20s, has also had a fantastic World Cup where all his challenged decisions have met with negative response.
However, there were words of advice for the Pakistan team as Dar felt that the publics expectations had risen enormously during the event.
Their superb run has overshadowed the trauma, scandals and poor performance that had plagued the team in the lead-up to the World Cup. Now the people have enormous expectations and want the team to win badly. Im proud to be a Pakistani and I really hope they can handle the pressure and pull off a win.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 26th, 2011.

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
Attack is the key for Pakistan

Attack is the key for Pakistan
By AFP
Published: March 27, 2011
Akhtar-PHOTO-AFP3-640x480.jpg

Crickets greatest rivalry will be on show in the second semi-final with both teams aware of what is at stake. PHOTO: AFP
KARACHI:

Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif tagged India as favourites for the World Cup semi-final against arch-rivals Pakistan but said an attacking team stood more chance of victory at Mohali.

India, winners in 1983, meet the 1992 champions Pakistan in the semi-final on Wednesday, a match which has already left millions of fans across the border in frenzy. Latif said India on their home ground will be favourites.

India in India are favourites, there is no doubt, said Latif. But as a unit, Pakistan have been very composed in this World Cup, so the team which attacks more will win.

Pakistan topped their group with five victories and one defeat, while India lost to South Africa and tied their match against England besides winning the four other matches. India ended Australias 12-year domination when they beat the defending champions by five wickets in the quarter-finals on Thursday.

Pakistan overwhelmed the West Indies by 10 wickets in the last-eight stage on Wednesday.

Latif, a member of the Pakistan team that lost to India in the 1996 World Cup quarter-finals, said losing to their rivals is always painful.

I was part of that game and I still feel the pain, said Latif of Pakistans 39-run defeat at Bangalore. People have not forgotten that match even after 15 years. Every player wants to be remembered in history and an Indo-Pak encounter is an ideal opportunity to reach stardom in a flash.

Latif hoped current Pakistan coach Waqar Younis gets a chance of revenge against India.

No one can understand the agony better than Waqar and he is lucky to have another chance to erase the bitter memories, said Latif of the former paceman who went for 67 in his 10 overs in that game.

Meanwhile, Latif also urged the management to include Shoaib Akhtar in the semi-final line-up.

Akthar has always been a team man, and his aggression and zeal, while playing against our arch-rivals, could be beneficial, and I feel the management is aware of this, said Latif of the paceman who will retire after the World Cup. With the unity amongst the players, this team stands a good chance against India. The Akmal brothers, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq and Younus Khan will be the players to watch.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 27th, 2011.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/138135/attack-is-the-key-for-pakistan/