Any Accountants, CPA's, CA's on Siasat.pk?

cestmoi ✅️

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Deciding to go to industry will mean that the plans to set up my own accounting, book keeping practice down the like will take a hit. The reason why i was plodding through the public accounting route was to get maximum public accounting experience so that it will serve me well the moment i decide to set up my own shop. Because when you set up your own shop, you need to know your stuff, accounting is a very litigious profession and therefore you need to have a very solid grip on things.

The other option i was exploring is to just get into teaching.

Just curious, as you mentioned you are shy, introverted etc, how will you be comfortable teaching a class full of students? Unless you are talking about one-on-one teaching?

UFC2015

Voter (50+ posts)
Just curious, as you mentioned you are shy, introverted etc, how will you be comfortable teaching a class full of students? Unless you are talking about one-on-one teaching?

I feel more comfortable teaching a syllabus, sharing my experiences. In the workplace especially an accounting firm, you have to deal with your seniors and partners, clients which is a different ball game altogether.

Teaching i believe will provide a better work life balance and more opportunities to pursue different things as compared to working in an accounting firm

Sohail Shuja

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I feel more comfortable teaching a syllabus, sharing my experiences. In the workplace especially an accounting firm, you have to deal with your seniors and partners, clients which is a different ball game altogether.

Teaching i believe will provide a better work life balance and more opportunities to pursue different things as compared to working in an accounting firm

First of all, who has diagnosed you with Asperger's Syndrome?, I guess you need a second opinion on that, because people with such a condition dread things like teaching etc.

Secondly, remember that there is no shortcut to hard work. You are likely to go through hard times in the start of your career. Be it in any field. Ask BhaiBarood for his initial duties during house job and PG Trainings. Ask any novice in any field and they will tell you their story., their frustrations...

I may be all wrong, but it appears that you are nearly hitting a midlife crisis. Moreover, there is a lack of proper stress management. Hit the gym, go to playgrounds, walk it off in the evenings or pray regularly.

Its a matter of hanging in there. Once you are through, you will look back at these years with a smile. What doesn't kill you, only makes you strong!

UFC2015

Voter (50+ posts)
First of all, who has diagnosed you with Asperger's Syndrome?, I guess you need a second opinion on that, because people with such a condition dread things like teaching etc.

Secondly, remember that there is no shortcut to hard work. You are likely to go through hard times in the start of your career. Be it in any field. Ask BhaiBarood for his initial duties during house job and PG Trainings. Ask any novice in any field and they will tell you their story., their frustrations...

I may be all wrong, but it appears that you are nearly hitting a midlife crisis. Moreover, there is a lack of proper stress management. Hit the gym, go to playgrounds, walk it off in the evenings or pray regularly.

Its a matter of hanging in there. Once you are through, you will look back at these years with a smile. What doesn't kill you, only makes you strong!

There is a fine line between working hard blindly and working hard and smart. Its about making right decisions at the right time and getting some career guidance and direction and thinking out of the box

UFC2015

Voter (50+ posts)
Thought i would update everyone. I cleared my final CPA exam in Canada i.e. the CFE. Got the results today. Very happy and relieved that i don't have to give any more accounting exams in Canada atleast. I just need to complete another 4 months of audit work in this firm and then i can file my final work experience report with the institute and finally get the Canadian CPA designation.

The plan after that is to give one exam in the US and after clearing it i will obtain the US CPA designation.

With a Canadian and US CPA designation, i will just need to give one exam in the UK to obtain the UK ACCA designation.

UFC2015

Voter (50+ posts)
Thought i could use some insight from accountants over here. Due to the epidemic, i got temporarily laid off from the firm i was working for last month, they verbally told me that this was a temporary measure till things got better and that i can use the health benefits that they had signed me up for during this time. I was actually required by the provincial institute to complete 450 auditing/review hours before i could write my final work experience report to them and apply for the CPA designation with the right to perform audits, reviews. I have so far completed around 100 audit/review hours and was scheduled to work on plenty of audit and review engagements from the summer to the fall this year in 2020. The Institute has recognized 60% of my experience. The total working experience requirement is 30 months, out of which 18 has been recognized and i needed to complete the remaining 12. So far i am exceeding the requirement by an extra 2-3 years.

However this epidemic has changed things big time. There is no guarantee if the firm i was working for will rehire me as they have promised. This means i lose out on the guaranteed audit and review engagements i would have been given exposure too.

I contacted the institute regarding this dilemma and they have given me the option to apply for the CPA designation right now but without completing the 450 audit/review hours, i will not have the right to perform audits and reviews. I contacted an accounting mentor friend of mine and he was like you have worked so hard, come so far, why not try to complete the remaining audit/review hours from the firm you were working in if they rehire you or from another licensed firm should the lockdown end and the job market picks up again.

However based on my observation, most CPA's and Accountants actually move into industry or consulting roles which don't really need them to be licensed and they admit the time they spent on audits, review engagements was pretty much a waste of time for them.

Thought i would ask the experienced CPA's and accountants, is it really worth getting the designation but with the ability to perform audits, reviews?

Personally speaking i don't really desire to be working on audit and review engagements in the long run and neither do i find it fun, exciting, i just did it for the exposure and experience but must admit the work is pretty boring and dry and most small, mid sized firms end up incurring far greater WIP in comparison to the fees they charge and the audit/review fees they charge is just a fraction of what the Big 4 charges in comparison