The story of Prophet Shuayb

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
images

The story of Prophet Shuayb
icon--2.gif
with his people is mentioned in the seventh chapter of the Noble Quran.

The people of Madyan, to whom he was sent by Allaah Almighty, were Arabs who lived in a place called "Ma'aan" (in Jordan). They were a greedy people who did not believe that Allaah existed and who led wicked lives.

They gave short measure, praised their goods beyond their worth, and hid their defects. They lied to their customers, thereby cheating them.

Allaah, the Almighty, Says

سُوۡرَةُ الاٴعرَاف
[FONT=me_quran]بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم[/FONT]

وَإِلَىٰ مَدْيَنَ أَخَاهُمْ شُعَيْبًا ۗ قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مَا لَكُم مِّنْ إِلَٰهٍ غَيْرُهُ ۖ قَدْ جَاءَتْكُم بَيِّنَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ ۖ فَأَوْفُوا الْكَيْلَ وَالْمِيزَانَ وَلَا تَبْخَسُوا النَّاسَ أَشْيَاءَهُمْ وَلَا تُفْسِدُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ بَعْدَ إِصْلَاحِهَا ۚ ذَٰلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُم مُّؤْمِنِينَ

7:85
Transliteration
Wa-ila madyana akhahumshuAAayban qala ya qawmi oAAbudoo Allaha malakum min ilahin ghayruhu qad jaatkum bayyinatunmin rabbikum faawfoo alkayla walmeezana walatabkhasoo annasa ashyaahum walatufsidoo fee al-ardi baAAda islahiha thalikumkhayrun lakum in kuntum mu/mineen

وَلَا تَقْعُدُوا بِكُلِّ صِرَاطٍ تُوعِدُونَ وَتَصُدُّونَ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ مَنْ آمَنَ بِهِ وَتَبْغُونَهَا عِوَجًا ۚ وَاذْكُرُوا إِذْ كُنتُمْ قَلِيلًا فَكَثَّرَكُمْ ۖ وَانظُرُوا كَيْفَ كَانَ عَاقِبَةُ الْمُفْسِدِينَ

7:86​
Transliteration
Wala taqAAudoo bikulli siratintooAAidoona watasuddoona AAan sabeeli Allahi man amanabihi watabghoonaha AAiwajan wathkuroo ithkuntum qaleelan fakaththarakum wanthurookayfa **** AAaqibatu almufsideen

وَإِن كَانَ طَائِفَةٌ مِّنكُمْ آمَنُوا بِالَّذِي أُرْسِلْتُ بِهِ وَطَائِفَةٌ لَّمْ يُؤْمِنُوا فَاصْبِرُوا حَتَّىٰ يَحْكُمَ اللَّهُ بَيْنَنَا ۚ وَهُوَ خَيْرُ الْحَاكِمِينَ

7:87
Transliteration
Wa-in **** ta-ifatun minkum amanoobillathee orsiltu bihi wata-ifatun lamyu/minoo fasbiroo hatta yahkumaAllahu baynana wahuwa khayru alhakimeen

قَالَ الْمَلَأُ الَّذِينَ اسْتَكْبَرُوا مِن قَوْمِهِ لَنُخْرِجَنَّكَ يَا شُعَيْبُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَكَ مِن قَرْيَتِنَا أَوْ لَتَعُودُنَّ فِي مِلَّتِنَا ۚ قَالَ أَوَلَوْ كُنَّا كَارِهِينَ
7:88
Transliteration
Qala almalao allatheenaistakbaroo min qawmihi lanukhrijannaka ya shuAAaybu wallatheenaamanoo maAAaka min qaryatina aw lataAAoodunna feemillatina qala awa law kunna kariheen

قَدِ افْتَرَيْنَا عَلَى اللَّهِ كَذِبًا إِنْ عُدْنَا فِي مِلَّتِكُم بَعْدَ إِذْ نَجَّانَا اللَّهُ مِنْهَا ۚ وَمَا يَكُونُ لَنَا أَن نَّعُودَ فِيهَا إِلَّا أَن يَشَاءَ اللَّهُ رَبُّنَا ۚ وَسِعَ رَبُّنَا كُلَّ شَيْءٍ عِلْمًا ۚ عَلَى اللَّهِ تَوَكَّلْنَا ۚ رَبَّنَا افْتَحْ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَ قَوْمِنَا بِالْحَقِّ وَأَنتَ خَيْرُ الْفَاتِحِينَ
7:89
Transliteration
Qadi iftarayna AAala Allahikathiban in AAudna fee millatikum baAAda ithnajjana Allahu minha wamayakoonu lana an naAAooda feeha illa an yashaaAllahu rabbuna wasiAAa rabbuna kulla shay-inAAilman AAala Allahi tawakkalna rabbanaiftah baynana wabayna qawmina bilhaqqiwaanta khayru alfatiheen

وَقَالَ الْمَلَأُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِن قَوْمِهِ لَئِنِ اتَّبَعْتُمْ شُعَيْبًا إِنَّكُمْ إِذًا لَّخَاسِرُونَ
7:90
Transliteration
Waqala almalao allatheenakafaroo min qawmihi la-ini ittabaAAtum shuAAayban innakum ithanlakhasiroon

فَأَخَذَتْهُمُ الرَّجْفَةُ فَأَصْبَحُوا فِي دَارِهِمْ جَاثِمِينَ

7:91
Transliteration

Faakhathat-humu arrajfatu faasbahoofee darihim jathimeen

الَّذِينَ كَذَّبُوا شُعَيْبًا كَأَن لَّمْ يَغْنَوْا فِيهَا ۚ الَّذِينَ كَذَّبُوا شُعَيْبًا كَانُوا هُمُ الْخَاسِرِينَ
7:92
Transliteration
Allatheena kaththabooshuAAayban kaan lam yaghnaw feeha allatheena kaththabooshuAAayban kanoo humu alkhasireen

فَتَوَلَّىٰ عَنْهُمْ وَقَالَ يَا قَوْمِ لَقَدْ أَبْلَغْتُكُمْ رِسَالَاتِ رَبِّي وَنَصَحْتُ لَكُمْ ۖ فَكَيْفَ آسَىٰ عَلَىٰ قَوْمٍ كَافِرِينَ
7:93
Transliteration
Fatawalla AAanhum waqala yaqawmi laqad ablaghtukum risalati rabbee wanasahtulakum fakayfa asa AAala qawmin kafireen​

(what means): "And to [the people of] Madyan [We sent] their brother Shuayb. He said, 'O my people, worship Allaah; you have no deity other than Him. There has come to you clear evidence from your Lord. So fulfill the measure and weight and do not deprive people of their due and cause not corruption upon the earth after its reformation. That is better for you, if you should be believers. And do not sit on every path, threatening and averting from the way of Allaah those who believe in Him, seeking to make it [seem] deviant. And remember when you were few and He increased you. And see how the end of the corrupters was. And if there should be a group among you who has believed in that with which I have been sent and a group that has not believed, then be patient until Allaah judges between us. And He is the best of judges.'

Said the eminent ones who were arrogant among his people, 'We will surely evict you, O Shuayb, and those who have believed with you from our city or you must return to our religion.' He said, 'Even if we were unwilling? We would have invented against Allaah a lie if we returned to your religion after Allaah had saved us from it. And it is not for us to return to it except that Allaah, our Lord, should will. Our Lord has encompassed all things in knowledge. Upon Allaah we have relied. Our Lord, decide between us and our people in truth, and You are the best of those who give decision.' Said the eminent ones who disbelieved among his people, 'If you should follow Shuayb, indeed, you would then be losers.' So the earthquake seized them, and they became within their home [corpses] fallen prone. Those who denied Shuayb --it was as though they had never resided there. Those who denied Shuayb it was they who were the losers. And he [i.e. Shuayb] turned away from them and said, O my people, I had certainly conveyed to you the messages of my Lord and advised you, so how could I grieve for a disbelieving people?'"[Quran 7:85-93]

Allaah, the Exalted, sent His Prophet Shuayb
icon--2.gif
armed with many miracles. Prophet Shuayb
icon--2.gif
preached them, begging them to be mindful of Allaah's favors and warning them of the consequences of their evil ways, but they only mocked him. Prophet Shuayb remained calm as he reminded them of his kinship to them and that what he was doing was not for his personal gain.

They seized the belongings of Prophet Shuayb
icon--2.gif
and his followers and drove them out of the city. So, he turned to his Lord for help, and his plea was answered. Allaah sent down on them scorching heat from which they suffered terribly. On seeing a cloud gathering in the sky, they thought it would bring cool, refreshing rain, so they rushed outside in the hope of enjoying the rainfall. Instead, the cloud burst, hurling thunderbolts and fire. They heard a thunderous sound from above, which caused the earth under their feet to tremble. The evil-doers perished in this state of horror.

Allaah, the Exalted, States
سورة هود

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

11:84

وَإِلَىٰ مَدْيَنَ أَخَاهُمْ شُعَيْبًا ۚ قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مَا لَكُم مِّنْ إِلَٰهٍ غَيْرُهُ ۖ وَلَا تَنقُصُوا الْمِكْيَالَ وَالْمِيزَانَ ۚ إِنِّي أَرَاكُم بِخَيْرٍ وَإِنِّي أَخَافُ عَلَيْكُمْ عَذَابَ يَوْمٍ مُّحِيطٍ
Transliteration
Wa-ila madyana akhahumshuAAayban qala ya qawmi oAAbudoo Allaha malakum min ilahin ghayruhu wala tanqusooalmikyala walmeezana innee arakumbikhayrin wa-innee akhafu AAalaykum AAathaba yawminmuheet

11:85

وَيَا قَوْمِ أَوْفُوا الْمِكْيَالَ وَالْمِيزَانَ بِالْقِسْطِ ۖ وَلَا تَبْخَسُوا النَّاسَ أَشْيَاءَهُمْ وَلَا تَعْثَوْا فِي الْأَرْضِ مُفْسِدِينَ
Transliteration
Waya qawmi awfoo almikyala walmeezanabilqisti wala tabkhasoo annasaashyaahum wala taAAthaw fee al-ardimufsideen

11:86

بَقِيَّتُ اللَّهِ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُم مُّؤْمِنِينَ ۚ وَمَا أَنَا عَلَيْكُم بِحَفِيظٍ
Transliteration
Baqiyyatu Allahi khayrun lakum inkuntum mu/mineena wama ana AAalaykum bihafeeth

11:87

قَالُوا يَا شُعَيْبُ أَصَلَاتُكَ تَأْمُرُكَ أَن نَّتْرُكَ مَا يَعْبُدُ آبَاؤُنَا أَوْ أَن نَّفْعَلَ فِي أَمْوَالِنَا مَا نَشَاءُ ۖ إِنَّكَ لَأَنتَ الْحَلِيمُ الرَّشِيدُ
Transliteration
Qaloo ya shuAAaybu asalatukata/muruka an natruka ma yaAAbudu abaonaaw an nafAAala fee amwalina ma nashaoinnaka laanta alhaleemu arrasheed

11:88

قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ أَرَأَيْتُمْ إِن كُنتُ عَلَىٰ بَيِّنَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّي وَرَزَقَنِي مِنْهُ رِزْقًا حَسَنًا ۚ وَمَا أُرِيدُ أَنْ أُخَالِفَكُمْ إِلَىٰ مَا أَنْهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ ۚ إِنْ أُرِيدُ إِلَّا الْإِصْلَاحَ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُ ۚ وَمَا تَوْفِيقِي إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ ۚ عَلَيْهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَإِلَيْهِ أُنِيبُ
Transliteration
Qala ya qawmi araaytum inkuntu AAala bayyinatin min rabbee warazaqanee minhu rizqanhasanan wama oreedu an okhalifakum ilama anhakum AAanhu in oreedu illa al-islahama istataAAtu wama tawfeeqee illa billahiAAalayhi tawakkaltu wa-ilayhi oneeb

11:89

وَيَا قَوْمِ لَا يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شِقَاقِي أَن يُصِيبَكُم مِّثْلُ مَا أَصَابَ قَوْمَ نُوحٍ أَوْ قَوْمَ هُودٍ أَوْ قَوْمَ صَالِحٍ ۚ وَمَا قَوْمُ لُوطٍ مِّنكُم بِبَعِيدٍ
Transliteration
Waya qawmi la yajrimannakumshiqaqee an yuseebakum mithlu ma asabaqawma noohin aw qawma hoodin aw qawma salihinwama qawmu lootin minkum bibaAAeed

11:90

وَاسْتَغْفِرُوا رَبَّكُمْ ثُمَّ تُوبُوا إِلَيْهِ ۚ إِنَّ رَبِّي رَحِيمٌ وَدُودٌ
Transliteration
Wastaghfiroo rabbakum thumma toobooilayhi inna rabbee raheemun wadood

11:91

قَالُوا يَا شُعَيْبُ مَا نَفْقَهُ كَثِيرًا مِّمَّا تَقُولُ وَإِنَّا لَنَرَاكَ فِينَا ضَعِيفًا ۖ وَلَوْلَا رَهْطُكَ لَرَجَمْنَاكَ ۖ وَمَا أَنتَ عَلَيْنَا بِعَزِيزٍ
Transliteration
Qaloo ya shuAAaybu manafqahu katheeran mimma taqoolu wa-inna lanarakafeena daAAeefan walawla rahtukalarajamnaka wama anta AAalayna biAAazeez

11:92

قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ أَرَهْطِي أَعَزُّ عَلَيْكُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ وَاتَّخَذْتُمُوهُ وَرَاءَكُمْ ظِهْرِيًّا ۖ إِنَّ رَبِّي بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ مُحِيطٌ
Transliteration
Qala ya qawmi arahteeaAAazzu AAalaykum mina Allahi wattakhathtumoohuwaraakum thihriyyan inna rabbee bimataAAmaloona muheet

11:93

وَيَا قَوْمِ اعْمَلُوا عَلَىٰ مَكَانَتِكُمْ إِنِّي عَامِلٌ ۖ سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ مَن يَأْتِيهِ عَذَابٌ يُخْزِيهِ وَمَنْ هُوَ كَاذِبٌ ۖ وَارْتَقِبُوا إِنِّي مَعَكُمْ رَقِيبٌ
Transliteration
Waya qawmi iAAmaloo AAala makanatikuminnee AAamilun sawfa taAAlamoona man ya/teehi AAathabunyukhzeehi waman huwa kathibun wartaqiboo innemaAAakum raqeeb

11:94

وَلَمَّا جَاءَ أَمْرُنَا نَجَّيْنَا شُعَيْبًا وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ بِرَحْمَةٍ مِّنَّا وَأَخَذَتِ الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا الصَّيْحَةُ فَأَصْبَحُوا فِي دِيَارِهِمْ جَاثِمِينَ
Transliteration
Walamma jaa amrunanajjayna shuAAayban wallatheena amanoomaAAahu birahmatin minna waakhathati allatheenathalamoo assayhatu faasbahoofee diyarihim jathimeen

11:95

كَأَن لَّمْ يَغْنَوْا فِيهَا ۗ أَلَا بُعْدًا لِّمَدْيَنَ كَمَا بَعِدَتْ ثَمُودُ
Transliteration
Kaan lam yaghnaw feeha alabuAAdan limadyana kama baAAidat thamood​

(what means): "The companions of the thicket [i.e. the people of Madyan] denied the messengers, when Shuayb said to them, Will you not fear Allaah? Indeed, I am to you a trustworthy messenger. So fear Allaah and obey me. And I do not ask you for it any payment. My payment is only from the Lord of the worlds. Give full measure and do not be of those who cause loss. And weigh with an even [i.e. honest] balance. And do not deprive people of their due and do not commit abuse on earth, spreading corruption. And fear He who created you and the former creation.'

They said, 'You are only of those affected by magic. You are but a man like ourselves, and indeed, we think you are among the liars. So cause to fall upon us fragments of the sky, if you should be of the truthful.'
He said, 'My Lord is Most Kknowing of what you do. O my people! Work according to your position; indeed, I am working. You are going to know to whom will come a punishment that will disgrace him and who is a liar. So watch; indeed, I am with you a watcher, [awaiting the outcome].' And when Our command came, We saved Shuayb and those who believed with him, by mercy from Us. And the shriek seized those who had wronged, and they became within their homes [corpses] fallen prone. As if they had never prospered therein. Then, away with Madyan as Thamud (the people of Madyan) was taken away.[7:84-95]
This is the fatal end of the disbelieving People of Prophet Shu'ayb
icon--2.gif
as was the end of every people before and after them who rejected the Divine Message and belied Allaah's Messengers and Prophets.

Source: "Stories of the Prophets" by Ibn Katheer