Tarin grills officials as imports surge

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
"“The finance minister stressed upon the Ministry of Commerce to conduct sensitivity analysis and build scenarios for effective forecasting both in imports as well as exports for each month of the year,” according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Finance.

The Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) reported over the weekend that imports last month hit a record high of $6.5 billion, which were higher by 95% or $3.14 billion. As a result, the year-on-year trade deficit widened 144% to $4.2 billion in August.

The increasing imports have a direct bearing on the current account deficit due to almost stagnant exports of $2-2.2 billion a month.

Sources said that the SBP governor on Monday informed the meeting that imports were expected to remain higher than the central bank’s earlier projections.
Data shared with the meeting suggested that all imports were not necessarily being made for a productive economic purpose, which was contrary to the impression given to the prime minister, said the sources.

Data shared with the meeting suggested that all imports were not necessarily being made for a productive economic purpose, which was contrary to the impression given to the prime minister, said the sources.

The finance minister questioned the commerce ministry officials that how could their projections go off the mark by a huge margin of $1 billion within two weeks, at least two participants of the meeting told The Express Tribune.

The commerce ministry was of the view that it made the forecast on the basis of last three years average - an explanation that the minister did not accept, they added.

Over 9,200 vehicles were imported during the first two months of FY22, which were almost three times more than the comparative period, the meeting was informed.
Out of these, the new vehicles were nearly 3,000 in the current fiscal year compared with just 216 vehicles in the same period of last fiscal year, said the sources.
Officials tried to explain that vehicle imports surged because of increase in economic activities but the finance minister did not buy this argument, said the sources.
Same was the situation with imports of mobile phones and luxury items, said the sources.

Same Story

"So far the SBP had used exchange rate anchor to make imports expensive but this intervention had failed to deliver the desired results. So monetary tightening is on cards if imports continue to increase rapidly in the coming months, they added."

"Officials said the commerce ministry has been tasked to come up with projections on trade balance after which the level of the monetary and fiscal tightening would be decided. The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) may hike policy rate in the next meeting, while the finance ministry considers imposition of regulatory duty on non-essential luxury items."

To PTI youths

"Top official confirmed to The News in background discussions after holding a high-level meeting on Monday that red flags were raised when the meeting was informed the external account was heading towards the same situation it had back in 2017-18." Your Imran Khan FM is saying.

MADdoo

Minister (2k+ posts)
Dollar control me ni hai, Import control me ni hai, export increase ni ho rae ha. kuch kaho to Moddi Media ki tarha ronay pitnay lag jatay k kuch kaho na inko.

Tatto ki performance ha but PTI ki government ha to sab acha ha? kiu bhai? na hamari rishtedari Imran khan se aur na he thee NS se, why should we accept bulsheeet from any one of them.

arifkarim

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Dollar control me ni hai, Import control me ni hai, export increase ni ho rae ha. kuch kaho to Moddi Media ki tarha ronay pitnay lag jatay k kuch kaho na inko.

Tatto ki performance ha but PTI ki government ha to sab acha ha? kiu bhai? na hamari rishtedari Imran khan se aur na he thee NS se, why should we accept bulsheeet from any one of them.
چل چپ کر کتے۔ اپنی ن لیگی حکومت جیسا حال ہوا تو تب بھونکنا

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
Yar agar 180 pa jay to kasi ko koi masla nahi hona chya. As simple as that because it giving as government trying save from BOP crisis. Problem is volatility as it should be stable not only going downside since 4 months from now on and since 3 days stock market market is crashed, negative credit uptake, CDS crisis is rising to high as 2018 (meaning leading to again bop crisis)

All the blame goes Imran Khan for doing another pause on IMF. Right now the economny totally went negative because are taking expensive loans, high credit intake, and lack of FDI due to we delayed IMF program again by 4 months.

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)

Every government controlled first 3 years BOP crisis and CAD. It always gets boomed in 4th year ,however, PTI far more worse in that term even devaluation is not helping them as their whole theory of 3 years is wasted in just days not months.

miafridi

"“The finance minister stressed upon the Ministry of Commerce to conduct sensitivity analysis and build scenarios for effective forecasting both in imports as well as exports for each month of the year,” according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Finance.

The Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) reported over the weekend that imports last month hit a record high of $6.5 billion, which were higher by 95% or $3.14 billion. As a result, the year-on-year trade deficit widened 144% to $4.2 billion in August.

The increasing imports have a direct bearing on the current account deficit due to almost stagnant exports of $2-2.2 billion a month.

Sources said that the SBP governor on Monday informed the meeting that imports were expected to remain higher than the central bank’s earlier projections.

The finance minister questioned the commerce ministry officials that how could their projections go off the mark by a huge margin of $1 billion within two weeks, at least two participants of the meeting told The Express Tribune.

The commerce ministry was of the view that it made the forecast on the basis of last three years average - an explanation that the minister did not accept, they added.

Over 9,200 vehicles were imported during the first two months of FY22, which were almost three times more than the comparative period, the meeting was informed.
Out of these, the new vehicles were nearly 3,000 in the current fiscal year compared with just 216 vehicles in the same period of last fiscal year, said the sources.
Officials tried to explain that vehicle imports surged because of increase in economic activities but the finance minister did not buy this argument, said the sources.
Same was the situation with imports of mobile phones and luxury items, said the sources.

Same Story

"So far the SBP had used exchange rate anchor to make imports expensive but this intervention had failed to deliver the desired results. So monetary tightening is on cards if imports continue to increase rapidly in the coming months, they added."

"Officials said the commerce ministry has been tasked to come up with projections on trade balance after which the level of the monetary and fiscal tightening would be decided. The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) may hike policy rate in the next meeting, while the finance ministry considers imposition of regulatory duty on non-essential luxury items."

To PTI youths

"Top official confirmed to The News in background discussions after holding a high-level meeting on Monday that red flags were raised when the meeting was informed the external account was heading towards the same situation it had back in 2017-18." Your Imran Khan FM is saying.

Same story but different solution than your proposed hyperinflation and/or declaring default.

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
Same story but different solution than your proposed hyperinflation and/or declaring default.
Problem is i told you this 2 months ago and now your the MOF is saying. The blame only goes Imran Khan to delay IMF and experiments with Shaukat Tarin. This is what happens when you are desperate to win 2023 elections.

miafridi

Problem is i told you this 2 months ago and now your the MOF is saying. The blame only goes Imran Khan to delay IMF and experiments with Shaukat Tarin. This is what happens when you are desperate to win 2023 elections.

You seem funny when you keep repeating "Oh I told you so", because you don't have to be an Einstein to know that increase in CAD(beyond a certain level) is problematic. So kindly stop praising yourself for something which is a universal truth.

Our conflict of opinion is regarding the solutions towards solving it.

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
You don't have to be an Einstein to know that increase in CAD is problematic. So kindly stop praising yourself for something which is a universal truth. You seem funny when you keep repeating "Oh I told you so".

Our conflict of opinion is regarding the solutions towards solving it.
Lie. People like were posting muzzammil video that we have reserve so any kind of cad would be sustainable. Like his mamo or abbu will pay this debt. As i told time reserve number does not matter at all. Only import cover matters and in 2018 we had 3.5 months of cover and now we have only 3.1 of import cover. We are in worse situation than 2018. You will find out this as well in Oct 2021.

MADdoo

Minister (2k+ posts)
چل چپ کر کتے۔ اپنی ن لیگی حکومت جیسا حال ہوا تو تب بھونک
arifkarim guess you don't have any valid argument to support inferior performance and are left with the bashing. keep it up.
Every government controlled first 3 years BOP crisis and CAD. It always gets boomed in 4th year ,however, PTI far more worse in that term even devaluation is not helping them as their whole theory of 3 years is wasted in just days not months.
Desprado Thanks for point out this issue, but people only understand this issue when NS or Zardari in power. But aj kal Government ko kuch na kaho, bcoz Imran khan PM ha,
i think people dont understand government ki poor performance me imran khan utna he role ha jitna success me ha.

MSM

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Off course one offs like the month of August are OK but this should not be a trend.

Ban (in the sense to impose extremely high duties) on luxurious imports is becoming necessary. MoC should have stricter control over the import requisitions.

If SBP, FM and MoC put a concerted effort and coordinate effectively in this matter they can manage it and nip the evil in the bud. But the thread starter assertions about PKR sliding to an abyss based on one month data are ridiculous to say the least. The purpose of the thread starter (to pique distrust and invoke anarchy) will not succeed inshAllah.

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
Off course one offs like the month of August are OK but this should not be a trend.

Ban (in the sense to impose extremely high duties) on luxurious imports is becoming necessary. MoC should have stricter control over the import requisitions.

If SBP, FM and MoC put a concerted effort and coordinate effectively in this matter they can manage it and nip the evil in the bud. But the thread starter assertions about PKR sliding to an abyss based on one month data are ridiculous to say the least. The purpose of the thread starter (to pique distrust and invoke anarchy) will not succeed inshAllah.
Some kids in this forum were saying all this CAD is related to non consumption, which is false and it 100% according PBS data alone in August we ordered 2.2 billion dollar car support consumption like Tyre, cars, SUV luxury cars so that we can make IMF mamo in October see we achieved FBR targets by allowing doing only import increase.

miafridi

Lie. People like were posting muzzammil video that we have reserve so any kind of cad would be sustainable. Like his mamo or abbu will pay this debt. As i told time reserve number does not matter at all. Only import cover matters and in 2018 we had 3.5 months of cover and now we have only 3.1 of import cover. We are in worse situation than 2018. You will find out this as well in Oct 2021.

You are quoting false figures again to make an argument. Good luck.

Resilient

Minister (2k+ posts)

They were hoping that devaluation will work as magic-wand and exports will sky high in an year.

Doom1111

Minister (2k+ posts)
You are quoting false figures again to make an argument. Good luck.
You said same thing to me i was doing propaganda 2 months back and now again. I am not our ratio of import in 3 months is 6.3 billion dollar as our export did not increase at all.

In October, IMF will give more hard condition than 2018 and no matter what we will resume IMF program because PTI knows that they messed up everything in just 2 months and whole 3 years performance is going to gutter. PTI is not first party that controlled CAD in just 3 years than again boom and CAD 4th and 5th year and the matter is that PTI was over confident due to Shaukat Tarin Lollipops and there growth overheated in just 2 months not just 2 years because they relied everything on Import and custom duty, which can be done far far better by PPP and PMLN.