Pakistan's first female taxi driver [Video Interview Added]

zeshaan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
11 March 2011 Last updated at 20:56 ET
Zahida Kazmi: Pakistan's ground-breaking female cabbie

_51639565_zahida1.jpg

Zahida has had to drive long distances on treacherous routes to northern areas

Zahida Kazmi has been hailed as Pakistan's first female taxi driver. She has driven from the crowded markets of Islamabad to the remote tribal country in the north. Here she tells Nosheen Abbas about her two decades in a male-dominated world.
In 1992 at the age of 33, newly widowed Zahida Kazmi decided to take her fate in her own hands and become a taxi driver.

Born into a conservative and patriarchal Pakistani family, she flew in the face of her family's wishes but with six children to support, she felt she had no choice.

She took advantage of a government scheme in which anybody could buy a brand new taxi in affordable instalments. She bought herself a yellow cab and drove to Islamabad airport every morning to pick up passengers.

In a perilous and unpredictable world, Zahida at first kept a gun in the car for her own protection and she even started off by driving her passengers around wearing a burqa, a garment that covers the entire body.

Her initial fears soon dissipated.

"I realised that I would scare passengers away," she said. "So then I only wore a hijab [head covering]. Eventually I stopped covering my head because I got older and was well-established by then."

Exposing herself to the hot, bustling city streets of Islamabad and by driving to the rocky and remote districts adjoining Pakistan's tribal areas, Zahida says she learned a lot about the country she lived in and its people.

The Pathans of the tribal north-west, despite a reputation for fierce male pride and inflexibility, treated her with immense courtesy on her journeys.

Eventually she became the chairperson of Pakistan's yellow cab association. Once she was established, she offered to teach young women how to drive taxis, but there was little interest. Even her daughters didn't express enthusiasm.

"They don't need to make a living," she says wistfully. "They are all married."

Zahida is not one of Pakistan's metropolitan liberal middle class - there are plenty of educational and career opportunities for privileged women in Pakistan but not for women from Zahida's background.

Pakistan has an exceptionally low number of women in work: 33.7% according to the Sustainable Development Policy Institute. Most women who work come under the category of "unpaid family workers".

Pakistan's legal system does little to protect women, so harassment is commonplace. Campaigners say it is little wonder that women do not choose livelihoods that make them even more vulnerable.

"Girls shy away from non-traditional jobs in a setting where there is a particular mindset... of intimidation," says Anees Haroon, chairperson of the National Commission on the Status of Women in Pakistan.

'Curious and amazed'

But had Zahida been starting out now, things would be quite different as she would be entering the workforce in a country torn between the forces of liberalism and Islamic radicalism.

Pakistan in 1992 was a more moderate place: it was opening up to the world; the dish antenna had been introduced; Pakistan had won the cricket world cup. Zahida says society felt fairly open to her.

But the Taliban presence in many parts of Pakistan has intensified over the years.

Zahida has had to drive long distances on treacherous routes to northern areas such as Balakot, Chitral, Dir and even the Swat valley.

"Police at checkposts would be interested in why I was driving a taxi, but they were simply curious and amazed," she said.

Passengers seek her out as well. Adnan Waseem, a businessman from Haripur, told me that he always books Zahida for his journeys.

"I saw her and the first thought that came to my mind was that she's my mother's age. I liked her driving and in these days where one feels insecure in Pakistan I felt very relaxed," he said.

Another traveller, Sohail Mazhar, had to be driven through rocky terrain up to the northern city of Abbottabad.

"Even the policemen who stopped us at security checkpoints also knew her... we were so happy to see a woman driving a taxi."

Although Zahida has been feted for being Pakistan's first female taxi-driver, she still has many bitter memories of her struggles as a single mother working hard on the road.

Her own mother disapproved of her career choice and only resentfully accepted it when the media gave her positive coverage.

And she is estranged from her children now.

"I am old now and I get tired. It's hard for me to drive all the time but what can I do? My sons don't help," she said.

"If I had a chance I would have become a doctor."

Just as she said that to me, a passing taxi driver stopped his car and got out to reverentially greet Zahida.

Despite her travails, she is clearly a respected presence on the streets of Islamabad.

source

What a couragious Woman,
May GOD keep her safe from evel forces.

Last edited by a moderator:

faqira786

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: Pakistan's first female taxi driver

GREAT Woman, Woman has No choice other than to WORK and RUN their FAMILY.

jaanmark

Great mum ,GREAT pakistani, Great woman, great humanbeen and today great muslim.

Great Thanks

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)

sad to hear this. we call our family system very strong. question is where were her relatives when she needed them. can u think of your mother becoming the same in any time of life?? my answer is no

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)

dont forget female are not mostly taxi drivers in europe and america. cruel relatives made her to do this.

qamar_zaman

Councller (250+ posts)

That is big example of self respect and dignity also it shows women are not coward the main thing is determination which enables them to do that were undoables in the past

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)

Allah aapko aur himmat aur hosla de meri behan. Proud to have people like you in Pakistan.

Maryam.

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

sad to hear this. we call our family system very strong. question is where were her relatives when she needed them. can u think of your mother becoming the same in any time of life?? my answer is no

True say regarding relatives. That's really something to ponder upon..where are we heading? :(

However, I think she deserves lots of appreciation as she didn't lose her dignity and self-respect while earning for her children. She didn't beg people out on the streets and did something very few woman would actually think of doing. Hats off to her really, at least I'm proud to say she's a Pakistani woman. :)

swing

True say regarding relatives. That's really something to ponder upon..where are we heading? :(

However, I think she deserves lots of appreciation as she didn't lose her dignity and self-respect while earning for her children. She didn't beg people out on the streets and did something very few woman would actually think of doing. Hats off to her really, at least I'm proud to say she's a Pakistani woman. :)

kaha ki dignity?
jis paisay say taxi lee ja sakti hai uss say koee aur b acha kaam ghar k inside reh ker kia ja sakta hai yah ghar k bahir koe aisa kaam jis mai perda ka b hayal reh jaye.
mgr yeh bolna aur samjana mushkil hai so i dont want to say anything more.

simple_and_peacefull

dont forget female are not mostly taxi drivers in europe and america. Cruel relatives made her to do this.

brother .... They are public buss drivers or big 40ft trailer drivers or cab drivers in europe. But in less numbers then men.

We should help our ladies with positive, prided ways in their needs. We shouldn't leave them alone.

simple_and_peacefull

She is very stronge lady. Allah swt may help her to been a strong lady with her dignity and stay at cricle of islamic life.

Maryam.

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

kaha ki dignity?
jis paisay say taxi lee ja sakti hai uss say koee aur b acha kaam ghar k inside reh ker kia ja sakta hai yah ghar k bahir koe aisa kaam jis mai perda ka b hayal reh jaye.

Log iss aurat ku apni maa ki jagah samajhtay hain, they are giving her respect like a mother. She's not some teenage girl out on the street who would be in danger on the streets of Pakistan.

I understand what you're saying, however I think its not fair to give advices to her and what she's done with her life as we have done nothing for her. Humain nahi pata kis majboori ne ussay sarak par nikalnay par majboor kiya. Humain soch kar nahi acha lagta ke koi aurat ghar se bahir niklay aur parda wagera na rahay, lekin I think their side needs to be understood as well. I'm personally aware of women who were widowed with young children and their relatives were of no help to them. They never set foot out of their houses before..but they had to leave their burqa and parda etc to deal with the world on their own later. However, they still kept the duppata on their head and obviously didn't lose their dignity.

Last edited:

riverblue

MPA (400+ posts)

very easy to give negative comments and criticise..... we dont really know what other options she tried or what else she tried to do with that money........ pata nahi kia majboori hogi... jo rasta unko nazar aya wo unho ne apnaya but all the while maintaining her dignity and respect....... i appreciate her effort... give the woman a little credit!

Salik

Senator (1k+ posts)

My salam to this woman... Great woman.. She is the pride of our country... May Allah help her and keep her steadfast...

usmanjee786

MPA (400+ posts)

Bhi for your king information eu main aour uk main women are driving busses trains taxis fork lifters and even loading as well
dont forget female are not mostly taxi drivers in europe and america. Cruel relatives made her to do this.

faqira786

Senator (1k+ posts)

kaha ki dignity?

wo kuch bhi kar lay, TOO KABHI KHUSH nah ho ga, to her waqat yehai kahay gay kay yeah kui kia wo kui nahi kia, Tujhey satisfy nahi kia ja sukta