Senator (1k+ posts)
From Mardan to the Canadian Senate: One womans story
Sunday Magazine Feature
By Vaqas Asghar
Published: April 11, 2011
Cover02-640x480.jpg

Pakistani community is certainly making a mark on Canada, says Senator Salma

Ataullahjan.
A Pakistani-Canadian woman of Pashtun descent, Senator Salma Ataullahjan was born in Mardan and raised in conservative Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. She immigrated to Canada 30 years ago with her husband. This mother of two daughters is a co-founder of the Canadian chapter of The Citizens Foundation (TCF) and has been affiliated with a number of charitable causes in Canada.

The Express Tribune spoke with Senator Ataullahjan by phone at her home in Toronto. On what her election means to Canadas Pakistani expat community. When my election was announced, Pakistani-Canadians were delighted. It was a long overdue recognition for the community. Since taking up my seat in the Senate, Ive been given awards by Pakistani-Canadians who appreciate the bold step taken by Prime Minister Harper [in appointing me]. I feel this is a tribute to ethnic minorities and shows democracy at work.
On the Pakistani community in Canada
Pakistanis have made their impact on every aspect of life in Canada. Today we see successful doctors, engineers and businessmen as well as Pakistanis involved in social causes. Generally speaking, we are a vibrant community but coming to a new country is tough. However, the younger generation in particular is thriving, and they do well at school and university. The Pakistani community is certainly making a mark on Canada.

On Pakistani contribution to culture in Canada
Pakistanis are integral to the country; after all theyve helped build it! England and Germany might say that multiculturalism has failed, but in Canada it has flourished; multiculturalism has given Canada its unique face and made it strong. A lot has to do with how immigrants are treated. Strong basic rights make us a strong country. Recently, young entertainers like comedian Sabrina Jalees have made a mark and there are at least three galleries run by Pakistanis in the Greater Toronto Area.
On immigration
Pakistan is one of the top five sources of migrants to Canada with 300,000 plus Pakistani-origin migrants, most of whom are concentrated in Ontario and Toronto in particular. Recently, the trend has shifted as more and more are choosing Manitoba and Alberta due to better job opportunities. Canada has a long tradition of welcoming immigrants and during the last year, we have welcomed more immigrants than at any time in the last 70 years.
On helping immigrants to Canada adjust
Nowhere else can you find a country that has so many ethnicities and languages. For example, at school level, if the local school boards agree, language classes for kids in their mother tongues can be added to the curriculum alongside English and French. Punjabi is very common and my own kids speak fluent Pashto. Ethnic language signboards are a common sight in areas with high immigrant concentrations. The Canadian Immigrants Integration Program helps newcomers adjust to the differences in Canadian life and society. Funding for settlement of newcomers has risen significantly, with the integration program accounting for a large share of the increase.

On how much Canada has changed for immigrants
When I came here in 1980 there were not many people from our part of the world; now Mississauga [a Toronto suburb] shows definite signs of a Pakistani influence and the shalwar kameez is a common sight. In fact, I took the oath wearing shalwar kameez. When I came here, it was tough to find the right spices or restaurants for Pakistani food; now Pakistani shops and restaurants are everywhere. Culturally, tremendous changes have taken place.

One thing I must point out though; as a Muslim woman in Canada, I have never felt religion to be a hindrance. Canada has no official religion, and just as I have never felt discriminated against, I dont think anyone else does either. I have been treated equally in every field, without any eyebrows raised because of my religion or gender.

Prime Minister John Diefenbaker helped draft the Canadian Bill of Rights, passed in 1960.To quote his address on April 25, 1958, I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.

On the involvement of Pakistanis in Canadian politics
In terms of political and social activity, Pakistanis are very active in politics, with the recent municipal election seeing a record number of Pakistani candidates making inroads at provincial and federal level.
Her message for Pakistani Canadians
My message to the community is simply this: get involved. To have a say in government you must be involved!

Published in The Express Tribune, Sunday Magazine, April 10th, 2011
http://tribune.com.pk/story/144204/from-mardan-to-the-canadian-senate-one-womans-story/

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
she is a canadian .
this story reminds when saeeda warisi came to pakistan and all media was showing her as well. but she told people "in her native village" in speech she is a british and english is her home

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
From Mardan to the Canadian Senate: One womans story !!

From Mardan to the Canadian Senate: One womans story

Sunday Magazine Feature
By Vaqas Asghar
Published: April 11, 2011

Cover02-640x480.jpg

Pakistani community is certainly making a mark on Canada, says Senator Salma Ataullahjan.

A Pakistani-Canadian woman of Pashtun descent, Senator Salma Ataullahjan was born in Mardan and raised in conservative Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. She immigrated to Canada 30 years ago with her husband. This mother of two daughters is a co-founder of the Canadian chapter of The Citizens Foundation (TCF) and has been affiliated with a number of charitable causes in Canada.
The Express Tribune spoke with Senator Ataullahjan by phone at her home in Toronto.
On what her election means to Canadas Pakistani expat community
When my election was announced, Pakistani-Canadians were delighted. It was a long overdue recognition for the community. Since taking up my seat in the Senate, Ive been given awards by Pakistani-Canadians who appreciate the bold step taken by Prime Minister Harper [in appointing me]. I feel this is a tribute to ethnic minorities and shows democracy at work.
On the Pakistani community in Canada
Pakistanis have made their impact on every aspect of life in Canada. Today we see successful doctors, engineers and businessmen as well as Pakistanis involved in social causes. Generally speaking, we are a vibrant community but coming to a new country is tough. However, the younger generation in particular is thriving, and they do well at school and university. The Pakistani community is certainly making a mark on Canada.
On Pakistani contribution to culture in Canada
Pakistanis are integral to the country; after all theyve helped build it! England and Germany might say that multiculturalism has failed, but in Canada it has flourished; multiculturalism has given Canada its unique face and made it strong. A lot has to do with how immigrants are treated. Strong basic rights make us a strong country. Recently, young entertainers like comedian Sabrina Jalees have made a mark and there are at least three galleries run by Pakistanis in the Greater Toronto Area.
On immigration
Pakistan is one of the top five sources of migrants to Canada with 300,000 plus Pakistani-origin migrants, most of whom are concentrated in Ontario and Toronto in particular. Recently, the trend has shifted as more and more are choosing Manitoba and Alberta due to better job opportunities. Canada has a long tradition of welcoming immigrants and during the last year, we have welcomed more immigrants than at any time in the last 70 years.
On helping immigrants to Canada adjust
Nowhere else can you find a country that has so many ethnicities and languages. For example, at school level, if the local school boards agree, language classes for kids in their mother tongues can be added to the curriculum alongside English and French. Punjabi is very common and my own kids speak fluent Pashto. Ethnic language signboards are a common sight in areas with high immigrant concentrations. The Canadian Immigrants Integration Program helps newcomers adjust to the differences in Canadian life and society. Funding for settlement of newcomers has risen significantly, with the integration program accounting for a large share of the increase.
On how much Canada has changed for immigrants
When I came here in 1980 there were not many people from our part of the world; now Mississauga [a Toronto suburb] shows definite signs of a Pakistani influence and the shalwar kameez is a common sight. In fact, I took the oath wearing shalwar kameez. When I came here, it was tough to find the right spices or restaurants for Pakistani food; now Pakistani shops and restaurants are everywhere. Culturally, tremendous changes have taken place.
One thing I must point out though; as a Muslim woman in Canada, I have never felt religion to be a hindrance. Canada has no official religion, and just as I have never felt discriminated against, I dont think anyone else does either. I have been treated equally in every field, without any eyebrows raised because of my religion or gender.
Prime Minister John Diefenbaker helped draft the Canadian Bill of Rights, passed in 1960.To quote his address on April 25, 1958, I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
On the involvement of Pakistanis in Canadian politics
In terms of political and social activity, Pakistanis are very active in politics, with the recent municipal election seeing a record number of Pakistani candidates making inroads at provincial and federal level.
Her message for Pakistani Canadians
My message to the community is simply this: get involved. To have a say in government you must be involved!
Published in The Express Tribune, Sunday Magazine, April 10th, 2011.

Pakistani92

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: From Mardan to the Canadian Senate: One womans story !!

if given the opportunity Pakistani can do anything.....