Common Wealth Games all set to begin, festive mood in Village

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)
Note: Track Pakistan at CWG at the following link:
http://cwg2010.dawn.com/2010/09/pakistan-at-cwg.html

News Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article809162.ece?homepage=true

Anxieties over, praise for arrangements
After months of uncertainty and controversies, the day of reckoning has arrived for the Commonwealth Games.
The opening ceremony at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here on Sunday, to be marked by a multicrore cultural extravaganza, dance, music and fireworks, should boost the sagging spirits of the organisers and the common man alike.
With the tickets priced high — the lowest denomination at Rs. 1,000 — most of the Delhiites have resigned themselves to watching the spectacle live on television.
The 11-day Games, to be formally inaugurated jointly by President Pratibha Patil and Prince Charles at the 60,000-capacity stadium, should once again see the complete domination of Australia, though as the host India should fancy its chances better than ever before.
The inaugurations of multidiscipline games have become glitzier and costlier since the Los Angeles Olympics set the trend in 1984, while they are also being evaluated for the precision with which they are executed and the technological innovations that are brought in.
A Rs. 40-crore aerostat, adding to the ambience at the Nehru Stadium, would provide additional novelty to Sunday's show, which has been developed by a creative team headed by Bharat Bala and supported by Shyam Benegal and Prasoon Joshi.
There is hope that the ceremony would help erase the embarrassment caused to the nation during the past fortnight, when appalling dereliction shown by the authorities brought international focus on to the Games, the biggest sporting event in India after the 1982 Asian Games.
Some sheen would be missing from the Games because of the withdrawals by some of the top-ranked athletes, including world and Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt of Jamaica. But there are a number of other world-beaters and world record holders to compensate for their absence.
The inclusion of wrestling, archery and tennis should help India to considerably improve upon its medals tally of 50 including 22 gold medals at the 2006 Melbourne Games

Last edited:

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Thank you although I am personally against India hosting these games. :)

Why are you against these games? I know some people say that India should have invested this money on poor, but I think you guys will earn more money and goodwill .

Last edited:

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Why are you against these games? I know some people say that India should have invested this money on poor, but I think you guys will earn more money and goodwill .
Well priorities for India should not be the games, but now that the games have began in style.........looks like India will pull it off after all. Wishing for the best.

dil-se-desi

MPA (400+ posts)
Well priorities for India should not be the games, but now that the games have began in style.........looks like India will pull it off after all. Wishing for the best.

I respect your views....but just throwing money for the welfare of poors will yield nothing in the absence of any mechanism and specially where corruption is present.
we need to put money in flow/circle where it grow rapidly and produce more employment and growth....in return
due to these events...india could force on the system to develop infrastructure in record time where development projects just keep hanging with bureaucracy...for years.....

70% of the money has gone into infrastructure...india wouldn't loosing in case games would be canceled......Biggest boost will come into tourism and and will pay back in coming years.

pl check this link

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-spur-growth-by-5000m/articleshow/6677921.cms

NEW DELHI: The 12-day Commonwealth Games opening on Sunday would spur India's economic growth by around $4,940 million in the next four years and create close to 24.7 lakh jobs, says the Games Organising Committee.

"It is estimated that the Commonwealth Games 2010 would result in an overall economic impact of approximately $4,940 million on India over the period of 2008-12," said a Committee document.

The figure is almost three times the economic impact the 2006 Melbourne Games had on Australia's gross domestic product (GDP), the document added.

It said the 2002 Manchester Games had created an impact of nearly $3,400 million in Britain, while the Melbourne Games had an impact of $1,600 million on Australia's GDP