Shaykh Hamza Yusuf - Argumentation And Difference of Opinion in Islam

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
I have a very good friend who is also a revert American and a mufti of fiqh after studying from the places like Al Azhar and then some other renowed Islamic university in Syria, has published I think over 10 books now . And after having known him for over 10 years and reading daily his facebook feeds and website, I can truly say this breed of revert scholars are in a world of their own and all their teaching is really not for the common man/muslim.

Its basically for their own colleagues and ilk, and the discussions and arguments they have are so frivolous its unimaginable and cannot help any ordinary average joe muslim in any way shape or form.

They are obsessed with these four imams and scholars of those times and very close minded about everything else and most of their scholarly work revolves around translating works of those scholars. Even if you look at Hamza Yusuf he also has translations under his belt.

No doubt they have gained great knowledge but their application or spreading that knowledge of it is ....... lets just say least useful to the ummah at large.

Even in this video he starts with hold on to the rope of Allah and then correctly saying the rope of Allah is the Quran but then brings in the 4 imams and all those old scholars which 99% of the Muslims have never even heard of and if you don't study with such Ulema you basically won't learn anything.

Unfortunately this is the same position our firqabaaz and maslak parasts moulvis also hold. Quran khud mut pardna verna gumrah ho jao gay!

Like my Mufti friend I mentioned earlier always keeps complaining why his books dont do very well or as well as he would like to do them. I told him straight up why would anyone buy a translation of book he has never heard about by a "scholar" he doesn't even know the name of? And now he is upset with me lol

TheRealKing

MPA (400+ posts)
Its basically for their own colleagues and ilk, and the discussions and arguments they have are so frivolous its unimaginable and cannot help any ordinary average joe muslim in any way shape or form.

That's the point. It's not supposed to be for the average joe. If you go sit with accountants, lawyers, biologists, neurologists, etc you won't get what they are talking about either.

Unfortunately this is the same position our firqabaaz and maslak parasts moulvis also hold. Quran khud mut pardna verna gumrah ho jao gay!

Nowhere he says you can't read the Quran on your own. He's clearly referring to books written by Scholars for Scholars being read by the common folk. That's where most go astray.

That's like saying who needs a doctor you should read a few medical books and treat yourself. These professional doctors don't know anything. Exceptions are always there but exceptions never become the rule.

The problem these days is that everyone who reads a few books thinks he's a scholar and knows better than those who have spent their entire life in pursuit of knowledge and sharpening their skills. This is arrogance and nothing more.

Personally, with each passing day the more I learn. The less I know.

We are in the information age. Access to widespread information has made the masses dumber and not smarter.

Where did Pakistan fail? The local mosque clergies are where we fail. 99.9% of Pakistani's have never availed them to the company of true scholars. Then it is again one of the signs of ends of times that we'll have lots of people who recite/read the Quran yet very few who will understand and implement.

Hamza Yusuf is in a league of his own and a true scholar who always keeps his knowledge updated and relevant to current times.

As for your friend you should recommend him to learn some sales and marketing if he wants to make money. Friends are supposed to build each other up and not tear one another down. No wonder he's upset with what you said.

Last edited:

peaceandjustice

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
میرے خیال سے قرآن کریم کو اچھی طریقہ سے ترجمہ کے ساتھ پڑھنا چاہیے اور اس کے بعد آگر ذہین میں سوالات آئین تو یو ٹیوب پر ٹاپک سرچ کر کے اچھے قرآن کریم اور احادیث مبارکہ کے اچھے عالم ،اسکالرز کی ویڈیوز یا انٹرنیٹ پر اچھی ویب سائیٹ پر سرچ کر کے یا ای میلز کے ذریعے اسکالرز یا عالم دین سے رابطہ کرنے میں کوئی حرج نہیں ھے ایک طرح کے سوالات پر 4/5 اسکالرز یا عالم دین کی ویڈیوز یا ای میلز کے ذریعے اپنے نالج میں اضافہ کیا جاسکتا ھے اللّٰہ سے دعا ھے کہ ھمیں صرف اور صرف اللّٰہ سبحان وتعالی اور اس کے آخری رسول اور نبی حضرت محمد صلی اللّٰہ علیہ وسلم کی اطاعت نصیب ہو۔ آمین

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Friends are supposed to build each other up and not tear one another down. No wonder he's upset with what you said.
I tell it like it is and don't sugar coat anything, people need to hear the truth rather than false acknowledgement.

TheRealKing

MPA (400+ posts)
Then whats the point of posting such videos?

To inform the general public on what not to do. As individuals we are answerable for our own actions, we barely get the minimum that is required from us by our religion done and even that with extreme laxness at times. Leave the debates and argumentation to the experts. This is also part of the reason we have failed as a nation both religiously and nationally.

Out of religion just look at the news anchors teaching us economics, business, politics, science, and all sorts of things.

May Allah make us all from those whom he's pleased with and who he gives strength to be steadfast in his path. Ameen

I tell it like it is and don't sugar coat anything, people need to hear the truth rather than false acknowledgement.

There's a difference between false acknowledgment and guiding someone. Based on what you wrote you did neither.
That's also not how the Prophet (PBUH) would have handled a friend. Anyway, you know better about this situation.

میرے خیال سے قرآن کریم کو اچھی طریقہ سے ترجمہ کے ساتھ پڑھنا چاہیے اور اس کے بعد آگر ذہین میں سوالات آئین تو یو ٹیوب پر ٹاپک سرچ کر کے اچھے قرآن کریم اور احادیث مبارکہ کے اچھے عالم ،اسکالرز کی ویڈیوز یا انٹرنیٹ پر اچھی ویب سائیٹ پر سرچ کر کے یا ای میلز کے ذریعے اسکالرز یا عالم دین سے رابطہ کرنے میں کوئی حرج نہیں ھے ایک طرح کے سوالات پر 4/5 اسکالرز یا عالم دین کی ویڈیوز یا ای میلز کے ذریعے اپنے نالج میں اضافہ کیا جاسکتا ھے اللّٰہ سے دعا ھے کہ ھمیں صرف اور صرف اللّٰہ سبحان وتعالی اور اس کے آخری رسول اور نبی حضرت محمد صلی اللّٰہ علیہ وسلم کی اطاعت نصیب ہو۔ آمین

Absolutely, the key point is asking the right questions in the right places.

superman99

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
This is ridiculous reasoning for not studying our own religion - putting it on a back burner and not making it a priority..

I have a very good friend who is also a revert American and a mufti of fiqh after studying from the places like Al Azhar and then some other renowed Islamic university in Syria, has published I think over 10 books now . And after having known him for over 10 years and reading daily his facebook feeds and website, I can truly say this breed of revert scholars are in a world of their own and all their teaching is really not for the common man/muslim.

They are obsessed with these four imams and scholars of those times and very close minded about everything else and most of their scholarly work revolves around translating works of those scholars. Even if you look at Hamza Yusuf he also has translations under his belt.

No doubt they have gained great knowledge but their application or spreading that knowledge of it is ....... lets just say least useful to the ummah at large.

Even in this video he starts with hold on to the rope of Allah and then correctly saying the rope of Allah is the Quran but then brings in the 4 imams and all those old scholars which 99% of the Muslims have never even heard of and if you don't study with such Ulema you basically won't learn anything.

Like my Mufti friend I mentioned earlier always keeps complaining why his books dont do very well or as well as he would like to do them. I told him straight up why would anyone buy a translation of book he has never heard about by a "scholar" he doesn't even know the name of? And now he is upset with me lol