Tolerance in Islam by Mohammad Anwar

rizkhan

Voter (50+ posts)
It amazes me how people in our country are mislead about Islam. Today, I came across a script from the O'Reillly Factor that talked about Muslim beheadings. I have never read anything more far from the truth than this script. It seems to me that Mr. O'Reilly and the so called expert are trying to prove that Islam supports violence against women and has no tolerance. Believers of every religion have committed crimes that are beyond Imagination. I am sure everyone knows about Timothy McVeigh, should we start blaming Christianity for his horrendous acts or do we start blaming Judaism for the acts of David Berkowitz (son of Sam). It's not fair to make assumptions about a religion based upon acts of few people.

Tolerance is one of the most basic principles of Islam and is a religious moral duty of every Muslim. Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) was an example of tolerance, forgiveness, benevolence, strength, power, wisdom, and all sublime ethics. According to a hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) once said, A true believer is one with whom others feel secure. One who returns love for hatred. In another hadith Prophet Muahmmad (PBUH) once said, By God, he is not a believer, by God, he is not a believer, by God, he is not a believer, with whom his neighbors are not secure.
History is witness to the tolerance shown by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and other Muslim leaders. In 630 AD, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) conquered Makkah Revenge was never the aim of Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) although Quraysh had tormented him and his companions for nearly 20 years in Makkah. Quraysh was the cause of Khadijas(his beloved wife) death and they killed his beloved uncle Hamza, but he still wished them guidance and forgave them all.
Another great example of tolerance was shown by a great Muslim leader, Salahuddin when he conquered Jerusalem. He gave a safe refuge to each and every Christian. Even though July 15th, 1099 is known as one of the darkest days of human history. This was when the Crusaders entered Jerusalem. Over 100,000 Muslims were slaughtered. An excerpt from a letter to The Pope at the time shows how horrendous that days was. It states, If you want to know what was done to the enemy. Know this our men rode in the blood of the Saracens(Muslims) up to the knees of their horses.
When Salahhuddin conquered Jerusalem in 1187 CE he never allowed neither massacre nor looting. He gave free pardon to all citizens. Only the combatants were asked to leave the city on payment of a nominal ransom and were give safe passage to the Christian lands. In most of the cases, the Sultan provided the ransom money from his own pocket and even provided them transport.
Christians, Jews and other minorities have always flourished under Muslim rule. They practiced their religion freely. They were never forced to accept religion as Islam. Islam spread because of it's fair treatment of all and strong belief in Justice. Under Muslim rule in Spain, Christians and Jews equally with Muslims were admitted to the Schools and universities at the cost of state. It was the Muslim lands of Morocco and Turkey that gave refuge to the Jews when Christian conquerors held horrendous persecution of them.
While Muslims have always shown tolerance towards the minorities and other religions. Unfortunately the favor was not returned to Muslims, not a Muslim was left alive in Spain, Sicily or Apulia. In 1492, came in the Spanish Inquisition. The brutality of which I will not mention, except that no less than a million books on theology, physics, chemistry, astornomy, philosophy and medicine burned. Who can forget the great rebellion in 1821 in Greece when not even one Muslim was left alive and not even one Mosque left standing.
These are just a few examples of the tolerance shown by Islam and it's believers. I am not asking Fox News to start glorifying Islam. All I am asking is not to hide the truth. Please stop misleading people. Just because a few are mislead, don't assume Islam isn't tolerant. Islam is the religion of peace and history has proved so. Muslims have co-existed with Christians and Jews in the past and are looking to do the same now and in the future. Islam doesn't force itself on anyone. I would like to conclude by quoting a verse from the Holy Qur'an. The Qur'an says, (There is no compulsion in religion) (Al-Baqarah 2:256).