Nagasaki – why did the US drop the second bomb?

Vitamin_C

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Ahhh... It all goes back to Truman, a person who had no experience in statemanship or knowledge of any of the worlds cultures or world war treaties...

He became arrogant and demanded unconditional surrender of Japanese. Japan was ready to surrender but they cannot allow their emperor to be humiliated because he has status of God in Japanese society, all of Japan would rather commit suicide than to see their Emperor in handcuffs. Truman being arrogant and ignorant of this insisted on unconditional surrender. The US Generals in the Pacific kept trying to convince him to understand and stop this madness but Truman wouldn't listen.

That being said the bomb had little to do with Japan's surrender, the Japanese had seen much worse conventional bombings than Hiroshima and Nagasaki so it didn't have an effect on their surrender. They surrendered because the Soviet Union declared war on them.

The real reason for the bomb was Truman being shortsighted did not want to understand the Soviets, their defense worries of being invaded atleast 2 times in the last century through Poland, and Poland historically being part of the Russian Empire for centuries. Instead of trying to understand the legit concerns of Russia, he tried to intimidate them by using Nuclear bombs on Japan. What an idiot.

When asked in an interview, when he thinks Soviet Union will make their own bomb, he answered "Never". Just 4 years later on August 29th 1949, the Soviet Union detonated their first atomic bomb in Kazakhstan.

The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the end of the era of great statesman and leaders like Roosevelt and started a shameful era in American history where arrogant and ignorant presidents like Truman and Trump, with zero empathy or understanding of other countries and culture, would use military force and coercion to subdue them rather than to understand their genuine concerns have humility and find common ground.

As for the unconditional surrender, in the end , the Japanese Emperor stayed as Emperor because cost of removing him would be too great. Then what was the point of forcing unconditional surrender when they were ready to surrender in first place if their Emperor was spared? Shows you how much of an idiot Truman was.

Dream Seller

First tell me why did the US drop the first one?
Colonial Japan was just as evil as some modern evils. I mean they invaded pretty much everyone in their capacity be it, China, Malay, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore...

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Yes I believe they shouldn't have dropped the first bomb either and if it was so important to make the Japanese believe that they had a nuclear bomb capable of wiping out Japan if they didn't end the war then they should have dropped the first bomb on some remote Japanese Land as a warning.

Now you cannot expect such morals from anyone in War time, but this should be the way of someone who happens to be the champion of Human rights etc.

@@O.P

MPA (400+ posts)
I think they were bored and wanted to do something different, what kind of question is this, its like asking “ why did you shoot in the war” or why did you eat when you were hungry or
“ as a batsman why did you score runs”

@@O.P

MPA (400+ posts)
Japanese were the first who threw bomb on Port Harbour, and than US retaliated. No?
Its war, no one reads history or do their research but when its in internet they jump on it and everyone cares for few days then they forget and jump on some ither bag wagon

@@O.P

MPA (400+ posts)
Yes I believe they shouldn't have dropped the first bomb either and if it was so important to make the Japanese believe that they had a nuclear bomb capable of wiping out Japan if they didn't end the war then they should have dropped the first bomb on some remote Japanese Land as a warning.

Now you cannot expect such morals from anyone in War time, but this should be the way of someone who happens to be the champion of Human rights etc.
the air raid that destoryed Tokyo killed more than the bomb on hiroshima or nahasaki, no one talk about that, it was more horrific than the Atom bombs. Japan didn’t surrender so they drop the 1st bomb and japan didn’t surrender so they drop the 2nd bomb and Japan surrender l, if Japan didn’t surrender im sure they would have dropped the 3rd bomb to. The Japanese were fighters and cause of Japanese attitude and strong warrior history they inflicted many looses on the U.S forces in asia pacific islands. Jaoenese soldiers became live mines and bombs after strapping the explosives and rushing the U.S forces as Suicide bombers in face if defeat. The U.S military didnt want to invae the island of Japan and face reisstance from civilian population and the military so he fastest way were the A bombs and that alsomsend messaged to the Soviets at the time when Soviets were making moves in Europe.

war is war, people forget what Japan did in asia pacific and espacially in China, they were”evil as hell” if the Japanese had atom Bomb they would have used it too.
Pakistani tends to hate what U.S does and in return use selective biased on history and other events to blame U.S and the other side becomes “Mazloom”. The will criticise the pseudo liberals for selective biases but they do the same ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Last edited:

miafridi

the air raid that destoryed Tokyo killed more than the bomb on hiroshima or nahasaki, no one talk about that, it was more horrific than the Atom bombs. Japan didn’t surrender so they drop the 1st bomb and japan didn’t surrender so they drop the 2nd bomb and Japan surrender l, if Japan didn’t surrender im sure they would have dropped the 3rd bomb to. The Japanese were fighters and cause of Japanese attitude and strong warrior history they inflicted many looses on the U.S forces in asia pacific islands. Jaoenese soldiers became live mines and bombs after strapping the explosives and rushing the U.S forces as Suicide bombers in face if defeat. The U.S military didnt want to invae the island of Japan and face reisstance from civilian population and the military so he fastest way were the A bombs and that alsomsend messaged to the Soviets at the time when Soviets were making moves in Europe.

war is war, people forget what Japan did in asia pacific and espacially in China, they were”evil as hell” if the Japanese had atom Bomb they would have used it too.
Pakistani tends to hate what U.S does and in return use selective biased on history and other events to blame U.S and the other side becomes “Mazloom”. The will criticise the pseudo liberals for selective biases but they do the same ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Two wrongs don't make a right. If Japanese did any wrong any where it is on them and no one should defend it either.

@@O.P

MPA (400+ posts)
Two wrongs don't make a right. If Japanese did any wrong any where it is on them and no one should defend it either.
The point is its war,l and everything is fair in war, just look at history, its full of it.

Vitamin_C

Japan surrendered because Soviet Union declared war on them.

Actually it was already decided at Yalta Converence between US and Soviet Union and both countries knew that if Soviets declared war then Japan would have no option but to surrender and they were right when Japan surrendered 6 days after Soviet declaration of war.

The nukes were a childish play of Truman to intimidate Soviets before a meeting with Stalin to get post WW2 concessions in Europe.

Saboo

I think they were bored and wanted to do something different, what kind of question is this, its like asking “ why did you shoot in the war” or why did you eat when you were hungry or
“ as a batsman why did you score runs”
Yes, to drop an atomic bomb first time and may be the last time too, was something different alright. My question is very thought provoking. After watching two entire cities wiped out of the map, do you think it was justified? like shooting in a war? Or a batsman scoring some runs?

Saboo

Colonial Japan was just as evil as some modern evils. I mean they invaded pretty much everyone in their capacity be it, China, Malay, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore...
No matter how evil Japan was, or they were invading every one but do you think it was justified to drop atomic bombs to wipe out 2 entire cities? Would you still recommend any one to use it again?...may be Pakistan on India?....or vice versa?

@@O.P

MPA (400+ posts)
Yes, to drop an atomic bomb first time and may be the last time too, was something different alright. My question is very thought provoking. After watching two entire cities wiped out of the map, do you think it was justified? like shooting in a war? Or a batsman scoring some runs?
Read about tokyo air raid which killed more people than Abomb and destroyed the city. Was the bomb justified, ask the American they will say yea, Japense they will say no. My opinion is similarly to the Americans, US dropped the bomb to win the war, US troops Took too many casualties in asia pacific taking over small islands so they decided to drop the bomb to cut their looses and more importantly send message to the Soviests who were making moves in Europe.
Forget the A bombs Were the wars justified? Is killing of humans justified? These questions are wonderful in Philosophy classes but unfortunately in war its all about winning and enemy military or civilian lives are the least of concerns.

im agaisnt lost of human life but I also understand once a war starts then no one is safe.

Saboo

Read about tokyo air raid which killed more people than Abomb and destroyed the city. Was the bomb justified, ask the American they will say yea, Japense they will say no. My opinion is similarly to the Americans, US dropped the bomb to win the war, US troops Took too many casualties in asia pacific taking over small islands so they decided to drop the bomb to cut their looses and more importantly send message to the Soviests who were making moves in Europe.
Forget the A bombs Were the wars justified? Is killing of humans justified? These questions are wonderful in Philosophy classes but unfortunately in war its all about winning and enemy military or civilian lives are the least of concerns.

im agaisnt lost of human life but I also understand once a war starts then no one is safe.
Well this is your point of view but I don't have to agree with it?
Ab is mein kia....?

Dream Seller

No matter how evil Japan was, or they were invading every one but do you think it was justified to drop atomic bombs to wipe out 2 entire cities? Would you still recommend any one to use it again?...may be Pakistan on India?....or vice versa?
No no I absolutely cannot condone the massacre of innocent people but situation built up to that extent and even though it’s unjustified to wipe out cities with this evil weapons, Japan played a major role to test others.