Why do they pick on us Pakistanis? - Dr Hood Bhai

dukelondon

Senator (1k+ posts)
Why do they pick on us Pakistanis?

Pervez-Hoodbhoy-New-640x480.jpg

The writer teaches physics at Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad. These remarks are excerpted from a recent talk he gave in Washington DC to Pakistani professionals settled in America

My green passport requires standing in a separate immigration line once my plane lands at Bostons Logan airport. The special attention from Homeland Security, although polite, adds an extra two to three hours. I belong to the fortunate few who can get a visa, but I am still annoyed. Having travelled to the US frequently for forty years, I now find a country that once warmly welcomed Pakistanis to be strangely cold. The reason is clear.

Foreigners carrying strong negative feelings or perhaps harmful intentions are unlikely to find enthusiastic hosts. I know that the man who tried to bomb Times Square, Faisal Shahzad, a graduate of the University of Bridgeport, is my compatriot. So is Aafia Siddiqui, our new-found dukhtur-e-millat (daughter of the nation). Another Pakistani, Farooque Ahmed, with a degree from the College of Staten Island, made headline news in November 2010 after his abortive attempt to blow up DC Metro trains.

If such violent individuals were rarities, their nationality would matter little. But their actions receive little or no criticism in a country consumed by bitter anti-Americanism, which now exceeds its anti-Indianism.

Example: after the Faisal Shahzad news broke in early May 2010, TV channels in Pakistan switched to denial mode. Popular anchors freely alleged conspiracies against Islam and Pakistan. None revisited their claims after Shahzad proudly pleaded guilty in June. Calling himself a Muslim soldier, he read a prepared statement: Its a war Im going to plead guilty a hundred times over.

Psychologists say that even hard facts can be denied when people subscribe to a radically different vision of the world. A glimpse of the current Pakistani weltanschauung the mental makeup which selects and filters facts before they reach the conscious brain can be had through the lives of the three young US-educated Pakistanis mentioned above.

Idealistic in their own way, they fought for a cause they believed was just. Influenced by an ambiance that puts America as the source of the worlds grief, they bravely sacrificed their jobs and careers. Having inhabited some part of their universe, I can understand something of what they went through.

Like Aafia Siddiqui now al Qaedas poster girl I, too, was a student at MIT. And, like her, I was furious at America. In the late 1960s, American B-52s were flattening Hanoi and Haiphong, while napalm and Agent Orange were destroying Vietnams people and jungles. When Nixon ordered the Christmas bombings of 1972, I wept. How could one live in America and not fight it? But instead of wanting to bomb Harvard Square, I chose to return to Pakistan for good.

Reason and observation slowly changed me. Cruelty to the weak is not an American monopoly; wars and brutal conquests are as old as history. The US cannot be forgiven for the Vietnam and Iraq wars, among others. But should India be forgiven for killing Kashmiris, West Pakistan for the East Pakistan massacres, Turkey for the Armenian genocide, or Japan for the Rape of Nanking? Countless states have blood on their hands. But retribution would surely make the world an inferno.

If Pakistani-Americans wish to feel welcome in the country they have chosen to live in, then, they must judge the West and Pakistan using exactly the same criteria, and expose three popular falsehoods.

First, it is a lie that American Muslims are victims of extreme religious prejudice. Certainly, no country is free of religious discrimination. But, the secular West is infinitely less discriminatory than any Muslim country. How many churches are there in Saudi Arabia? Yet Muslims have built hundreds of new mosques in America with Saudi money and many after 9/11. New churches or temples are impossible in Pakistan; even old ones are burned down by rampaging mobs.

In America, Muslims successfully use the legal system to seek damages if there is discrimination in matters of employment, housing, or access to public facilities. But in Pakistan, if you are a Christian, Hindu, or Ahmadi, you simply accept your fate.

Second, it is a lie that US Muslims are physically endangered. In fact, Muslims are far safer in the US than in Pakistan. Does one see Kalashnikov-toting guards during Friday prayers outside a mosque in the West? Yet if you are a Barelvi or a Shia in Pakistan, your life may end at your place of worship. Scattered body limbs and pools of blood at Data Darbar, Abdullah Shah Ghazi, and the Pakpattan shrines testify that the cruellest of Islams enemies come from within.

While Pakistans terrified religious minorities live in fear of an intolerant majority, American Muslims get protection both from its people and the state. A personal example: the day after 9/11, I was appalled by the wild joy among my students. Worried about my former students, now studying in various US universities, I emailed them. Their return emails were reassuring. White American students had formed defence committees; no Muslim student was ever harmed on any campus. So even though George W Bush a religious zealot was preparing to invade Iraq, ordinary Americans were largely decent.

Third, the nauseating hypocrisy of Pakistans radicalising West-hating, West-baiting leaders needs to be exposed. For example, Imran Khan who speaks of the West as the fountainhead of evil prefers to keep his family in London and New York, owes his fame to a game invented by British colonialists, and employs real doctors rather than hakeems for his cancer hospital.

To conclude: if Pakistani-Americans want to feel welcome in the land they have chosen to settle in, they must actively combat the cancer of radicalism. They must want to be part of the modern world, not the one they came from. To mosque imams and radical Islamists, they must say clearly and loudly: we want to live peacefully with other Americans in a modern, pluralistic and secular society that values freedom of belief, freedom for art and music and freedom for thought and expression.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 4th, 2011.

salaam

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
thank you for sharing such an insightful and honest article. Hoodbhoy sahib is truly an exceptional individual and pakistan needs brave men like him who can state the truth even when its unpopular.

akber

he is such a stupid and he is on pay rule of America......an American agent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he should live in America not in pak

kmanzar

Voter (50+ posts)
he is such a stupid and he is on pay rule of America......an American agent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he should live in America not in pak

Instead of just insulting such a respected teacher, nice human being and well known knowledgeable personality of Pakistan, can you tell me what kind of ‘stupidity’ you see in this article?
And you should also share your sources from where you get the information that he is an Amarican Agent.

Last edited:

Mughal1

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Dr hoodboy is not only a nuclear scientist but a human friendly guy as well. All human friendly people talk sense because they go with humanity rather than with politics. However when talk about humanity politics cannot be divorced from it. This is the real problem.

The problem is not with any country whatsoever, the problem is with people and not with all people either only the so called dominant elite. The decision makers, the planners and executers of those plans.

The real question is, what is wrong with these people? The only wrong with these people is the while they have the abilities they misuse and abuse them and rarely help humanity. They have set up or accepted the dog eat dog world and are trying to be the top dog and in this struggle none is really safe in actual fact and all are stressed because of interconnection and interlinkage that exists between us. This world in which we live is turned into a tug-of-war between those who have it and those who have it not. Only if we stop accepting this tug-of-war way of life and yet cooperate and work hard that we can have a better world. So long as we remain part of this sea-saw, when one side goes up the other has to come down so the end game is not win win situation and cannot be no matter how hard we try because the sytem in which we operate is fundamentally win or lose.

Islam gave us an alternative concept of life wherein there is a win win situation that really is for benefit of mankind. It is unfortunate that people who claim to be muslims say one things and do another ie they declare faith in the human friendly (ie islamic) way of life yet live by a way of life that is anti humanity that is damaging for the whole of humanity. I do not want to declare all of us MUNAFIQOON but I don't know which other word describes us better. We are leaving a better way of for the worse way of life and claim to be very sensible and educated and modern etc etc.

So if we want a better world then we have no choice but to understand and accept islamic principles and rules and spread them to others far and wide til people become aware of them propelry so that they could see how it all can come together and benfit mankind. So long as we fail to do so the alternative remains tug-of-war wherein if you do not want to lose then you must fight to win and in that you must choose the side that works for you. However if there is really a god and there is really a hereafter then loss is clesarly inevitable. Not only that but even if you do take part in tug of war ther eis no guranty that you will survive the dog fight intact and live a life worth living.

My posts are very long because I am trying to explain things in a way that leaves us in no doubt where truth stands and where humanity stands. Dr hooboy though well educated and a thinking person fails to see this very point. He is actually telling us that if we cannot win others over then then let us join them. This very respect fully I do not want to do and I do not want him to do for sake of both of us. Why not? Because this way he is choosing the wrong side and forcing me to be theperson on the other side. THis is how our enemies want to divide us and then rule us subtly without we realising it ie we are have been taken for a ride for a very long time or that we have been sleep walking in to traps, one after the other.

Regardless we must keep on pushing for better world by supporting people who like islamic principles and rules eg support human rights movements world wide but keep an eye out for conspiracies by those who do not like these things because this is like putting your foot on the tail of a very poisonous snake. We similarly need to be carefully about humanitarian organisations and charities because they may well be working as agents of dominant elite to keep us in hope without any end results. This is like you are a servant in a household and they keep you going in the hope of better pay and better conditions by alternative ways and means but never bring these about. They never will and that is the end game, so think better for yourselves and do not go with the flow rather learn the truth and spread it to gain suport and when a stage is reached attack the bad system of life to expose it end it.

We should see how past people have been changing ways of life particularly the prophets of islam. We must do the same thing if we want a better world ie free of wars and negative competitions with which hardly anyone is really happy. Deep inside we are all unhappy because we really do not like what we see in our world happening. This is why our enemies are not americans or indians or europeans but those very people from amongst us who are trying to keep us confused about islam so that we do not see it as an alternative for whatever reasons. They are not only ruling elite but mullahs as well who act in such a way that they end up doing their side a big favour by damaging our noble cause.

Please keep an eye on my threads.

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthread.php?50607-Pakistan-religion-secularism-amp-tribalism&

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)
Instead of just insulting such a respected teacher, nice human being and well known knowledgeable personality of Pakistan, can you tell me what kind of stupidity you see in this article?
And you should also share your sources from where you get the information that he is an Amarican Agent.

I think you don't know about his views about Islam. He is An Atheist and spreading Atheism in Quad-e-Azam University. I have spent time in QA University.

He always talk against Islam. He doesn't want Islam in Pakistan.

He always talk against Dr Qadir Khan and arguing that making Atomic Bomb is not a difficult and that Dr Qadir was a thief.

He always talk against Pakistani Nukes.

What else you want about him.....

He allows Americans to bombard FATA with drones to finish "Militants"

http://criticalppp.com/archives/30075

Just read the Conclusion of this review if can't read the full review.

http://www.islamicperspectives.com/ReviewPervezHoodbhoy.htm

And About Nukes

kmanzar

Voter (50+ posts)
I think you don't know about his views about Islam. He is An Atheist and spreading Atheism in Quad-e-Azam University. I have spent time in QA University.

He always talk against Islam. He doesn't want Islam in Pakistan.

He always talk against Dr Qadir Khan and arguing that making Atomic Bomb is not a difficult and that Dr Qadir was a thief.

He always talk against Pakistani Nukes.

What else you want about him.....

He allows Americans to bombard FATA with drones to finish "Militants"

http://criticalppp.com/archives/30075

Just read the Conclusion of this review if can't read the full review.

http://www.islamicperspectives.com/ReviewPervezHoodbhoy.htm

And About Nukes

First of all I am really happy to hear that you spent time in university, I mean in QAU :)

Secondly, I don’t know with what faculty you belonged, but let me tell you that I did my first Masters (Physics) from the same Quaid-e-Azam University (1992-94) and studied 3 major courses directly under him, so I must say that I know him well as a teacher and as well as a human being.

I also know that he was not so popular outside the department (bacuase of his logical thinking and approach) especially among the Jamati students and those who influenced by the narrow minded mullahs, but I know that he had a great respect throughout our department (including teachers, students and staff) and among almost all the teachers of other faculties. We all respect his level of knowledge (both general and on subject of Solid-State Physics). So being a person, no body can say any bad thing about him and his patriotism (ye alag baat hay ke Mullaaon ko to apnay jaiso ke siwa har shakhs non-Muslim aur ghaddaar nazar aata hay, but I never mind)

Regarding his thoughts on nuclear program and increasing Militancy in Pakistan, you (and many other) may disagree on his thoughts, but matter of fact that his opinions are based on solid reasoning (instead of just emotional chants), and I, myself also in full support of his thoughts on those two issues.

What wrong if he says that making atomic bomb is not difficult? Dear this is a 70 years older technology, and huzur zara aankhen kholiye, duniya inn 70 saalon main kahin se kahin jaa chukee hay. And how Dr. Qadeer sb got access to the nuclear technology documentations in Netherlands, it’s no more hidden thing (thought, I do not blame Dr. Qadeer sb, as what he did all was for his Country)

Anyway, you can disagree with someone’s thoughts, but not good to start fatawa’s against him. I think this should be stopped now

Regards

Last edited:

saudiking

Voter (50+ posts)
Very nice article his observations are accurate. He is a very rare species in Pakistan. Hopefully there will be more people like him in future in pakistan. However I felt his observation of Imran khan were bit harsh. I understand that idiots and extremists would hate him and post emotional and hateful messages agains this article.

Night-Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pervez hoodbhoy's recent vitriolic remarks against imran has a history ---- Please watch this capital talk to clear your concepts

[video]http://www.pkaffairs.com/Play_Show_Capital_Talk_4th_May_2009_3401[/video]

bons

Minister (2k+ posts)
Very nice article his observations are accurate. He is a very rare species in Pakistan. Hopefully there will be more people like him in future in pakistan. However I felt his observation of Imran khan were bit harsh. I understand that idiots and extremists would hate him and post emotional and hateful messages agains this article.

You are right we have very few "Asteen ke saanp" but their venom is very dangerous.

What are your view about the IDIOTS AND EXTREMISTS who are killing hundreds of Pakistanis in drone attacks?
What about the IDIOTS and EXTREMISTS who are killing thousands of Palestinians in Ghaza?
There is a long list of IDIOS and EXTREMISTS but I don't wan't to waste my time on you because I don't expect any logical thinking from zionists like you.

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)
First of all I am really happy to hear that you spent time in university, I mean in QAU :)

Secondly, I dont know with what faculty you belonged, but let me tell you that I did my first Masters (Physics) from the same Quaid-e-Azam University (1992-94) and studied 3 major courses directly under him, so I must say that I know him well as a teacher and as well as a human being.

I also know that he was not so popular outside the department (bacuase of his logical thinking and approach) especially among the Jamati students and those who influenced by the narrow minded mullahs, but I know that he had a great respect throughout our department (including teachers, students and staff) and among almost all the teachers of other faculties. We all respect his level of knowledge (both general and on subject of Solid-State Physics). So being a person, no body can say any bad thing about him and his patriotism (ye alag baat hay ke Mullaaon ko to apnay jaiso ke siwa har shakhs non-Muslim aur ghaddaar nazar aata hay, but I never mind)

Regarding his thoughts on nuclear program and increasing Militancy in Pakistan, you (and many other) may disagree on his thoughts, but matter of fact that his opinions are based on solid reasoning (instead of just emotional chants), and I, myself also in full support of his thoughts on those two issues.

What wrong if he says that making atomic bomb is not difficult? Dear this is a 70 years older technology, and huzur zara aankhen kholiye, duniya inn 70 saalon main kahin se kahin jaa chukee hay. And how Dr. Qadeer sb got access to the nuclear technology documentations in Netherlands, its no more hidden thing (thought, I do not blame Dr. Qadeer sb, as what he did all was for his Country)

Anyway, you can disagree with someones thoughts, but not good to start fatawas against him. I think this should be stopped now

Regards

U had spend time in Physics Department that's why your thinking is like this.

He is not respectful out side Physics because of his "Logical" Thinkings because he looks Islam with a Logical Approach. Dear logical approach always doesn't work in Religion.

He might see the revelation on Prophet (PBUH) as illogical.

How 313 Monineens had defeated 1000 Kuffars in Badar?

How would Aalm-e-Barzakh be happened?

He will not even prove the existence of Angels with logic... etc.

I know him very well. He is a great Atheist (And u know what an Atheist is? ) and preaching it in his department. He doesn't even believe the existing of God. He is just mockering of Islam and nothing else.

All Qadyanis & Atheist scientists ( including Dr Abdus Salam) believe that making Atomic bomb is an easy process. Theoretically it is easy with e=mc2 but the main process is the enrichment of Uranium not the making of Atomic bomb and that's Dr A Q Khan did.

If it was so easy then why did they not try to make it for Pakistan?

Last edited:

drkjke

hood bhai is famously called yahood bhai by media.haha
giving this murtid islam haters article nothing but weaknes the point of view of you munafiqeen kufar slaves
hood bhai or yahood bhai is not even a muslim ,ask him
and an enemy of islam,s views carry no weight at all

drkjke

He is respectful out side Physics because of his "Logical" Thinkings because he looks Islam with a Logical Approach. Dear logical approach always doesn't work in Religion.

He might see it as illogical the revelation on Prophet (PBUH),

How 313 Monineens had defeated 1000 Kuffars in Badar?

How would be Aalm-e-Barzakh happened?

He will not even prove the existence of Angels with logic... etc.

I know him very well. He is great Atheist (And u know what is an Atheist) and preaching it in his department. He even doesn't believe the existing of God. He is just mockering of Islam and nothing else.

All Qadyanis & Atheist scientists ( including Dr Abdus Salam) believe that making Atomic bomb is an easy process. Theoretically it is easy with e=mc2 but the main process is the enrichment of Uranium not the making of Atomic bomb and that's Dr A Q Khan did.

If it was so easy then why did try to make it for Pakistan?

pervaiz yahood bhai is not a muslim..if he is muslim than by manmohan singh is muslim too .haha
and yahood bhai never claimed that he was a muslim
so his views are grabage and should be thrown in fire
as a person who is so blind that he cant recognise light of allah which is islam,than such person is so dumb that his views carry no weight

kmanzar

Voter (50+ posts)
pervaiz yahood bhai is not a muslim..if he is muslim than by manmohan singh is muslim too .haha
and yahood bhai never claimed that he was a muslim
so his views are grabage and should be thrown in fire
as a person who is so blind that he cant recognise light of allah which is islam,than such person is so dumb that his views carry no weight

بھئی واہ، یعنی کہ اب جاہل ملا، لوگوں کے دین ایمان کا، جنتی یا جہنمی ہونے کا فیصلہ صادر کریں گے
ایک شعر ڈاکٹر ھود بھائی کی نظر کرنے کو دل چاہ رہا ہے

عرفی تو میندش زا غوغاے رقیباں
آواز سگاں کم نہ کند رزق گدا را

Last edited:

saint

thank u so much for putting it nicely ... I will definitely watch out for your threads .. do u write some blog as well ?

saint

@mughal1

thank u so much for putting it nicely ... I will definitely watch out for your threads .. do u write some blog as well ?

kmanzar

Voter (50+ posts)
Can you please explain that what do you exactly want to say? Should I take it as some sort a cheap personal attack?

Dear logical approach always doesn't work in Religion.
What is the basis of this thought? If you read Quran, from the beginning to end you can find lots of verses demands rationale in matters of Eeman, in contrary there is not a single verse that support non-logical approach, if you know please let me know. For your convenient, I can present few references: -

(al baq'ra, 170)
‏وَمَثَلُ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا۟ كَمَثَلِ ٱلَّذِى يَنْعِقُ بِمَا لَا يَسْمَعُ إِلَّا دُعَآءًۭ وَنِدَآءًۭ ۚ صُمٌّۢ بُكْمٌ عُمْىٌۭ فَهُمْ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

(Anfa'l, 22)
إِنَّ شَرَّ ٱلدَّوَآبِّ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ ٱلصُّمُّ ٱلْبُكْمُ ٱلَّذِينَ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

(Yunas, 42)
‏وَمِنْهُم مَّن يَسْتَمِعُونَ إِلَيْكَ ۚ أَفَأَنتَ تُسْمِعُ ٱلصُّمَّ وَلَوْ كَانُوا۟ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

(Yunas, 100)
‏وَمَا كَانَ لِنَفْسٍ أَن تُؤْمِنَ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِ ٱللَّهِ ۚ وَيَجْعَلُ ٱلرِّجْسَ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

(Al-Furqan, 73)
‏وَٱلَّذِينَ إِذَا ذُكِّرُوا۟ بِـَٔايَتِ رَبِّهِمْ لَمْ يَخِرُّوا۟ عَلَيْهَا صُمًّۭا وَعُمْيَانًۭا

(Al-Saba, 46)
قُلْ إِنَّمَآ أَعِظُكُم بِوَحِدَةٍۖ أَن تَقُومُوا۟ لِلَّهِ مَثْنَىٰ وَفُرَدَىٰ ثُمَّ تَتَفَكَّرُوا۟ۚ مَا بِصَاحِبِكُم مِّن جِنَّةٍۚ إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا نَذِيرٌۭ لَّكُم بَيْنَ يَدَىْ عَذَابٍۢ شَدِيدٍۢ

(Al-Mulk, 10)
‏وَقَالُوا۟ لَوْ كُنَّا نَسْمَعُ أَوْ نَعْقِلُ مَا كُنَّا فِىٓ أَصْحَبِ ٱلسَّعِيرِ

and so on ...
So, in the light of Quranic teachings, I would prefer a person who develops his Islamic thoughts on rationale & logical reasoning over a Mullah who follows religious thoughts blindly

I know him very well. He is great Atheist
How many times you met him and discussed something on Islam? Can you please refer any of his statement that gives you a feeling about him as atheist? And definitely you must know how big the crime of declaring any Muslim a non-Muslim is.

Last edited:

Khanji1

Councller (250+ posts)
Hood is from Yahood. He is number 1 enemy of Pakistan and Islam. He should be kicked out out Pakistan.