Umrah Ticket offered by Geo TV .... based on American Lottery System. Is this OK?

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)
I was flipping channels... and just saw Geo TV's morning show Utho Jago Pakistan. Host (Shaista?) was offering Umrah ticket to the person with most SMS messages sent to GEO.

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't sending SMS messages cost you money in Pakistan..... and GEO makes money out of this ... based on SMS messages received?

If that is true then how that is different than American/European lottery tickets with a chance to win million dollars? So buy 1$ ticket and become eligible to win based on random drawing. Almost everybody agrees that this is gambling and it is haram.

Based on my assumption above, Umrah lottery based on most SMS messages is exactly the same thing... you send SMS .. it cost you money and you are taking a chance (gamble) that your messages will be the most.

Do you play this SMS game?
If yes, why.... and don't you think it is gambling?
If no, why not?

Nawazish

Minister (2k+ posts)
Its a scam being run by Geo. Pity our nations gets fooled so easily, and the relevant authorities lets these sort of things happen.

lotaa

Minister (2k+ posts)
simple zabaan mein isay Juwa kehtay hain,ab juwwa k naam par Umrah b honay lagay hain,ALLAH hadayet de hum sab ko
I was flipping channels... and just saw Geo TV's morning show Utho Jago Pakistan. Host (Shaista?) was offering Umrah ticket to the person with most SMS messages sent to GEO.

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't sending SMS messages cost you money in Pakistan..... and GEO makes money out of this ... based on SMS messages received?

If that is true then how that is different than American/European lottery tickets with a chance to win million dollars? So buy 1$ ticket and become eligible to win based on random drawing. Almost everybody agrees that this is gambling and it is haram.

Based on my assumption above, Umrah lottery based on most SMS messages is exactly the same thing... you send SMS .. it cost you money and you are taking a chance (gamble) that your messages will be the most.

If no, why not?

harisuae

Senator (1k+ posts)

If no, why not?

Thanks for pointing out this issue. This question must be asked from Any Aalim (not from aamir liqat).

ealtaf

Minister (2k+ posts)
Yes this is not allowed to use lottery money or prize bonds money to do your ummrah or haj..... this is purely haram...