Saluting a martyr Mina Sohail

mohib

Senator (1k+ posts)
I cannot think of any job that is as high risk and unrewarding as that of security guards. These guards have low pay scales, long duty hours (as opposed to the eight hours we give in the comfort of our offices), no on-the-job training, no authority to shoot when presented with a credible threat and no benefits for families in case of death on duty

Mohammad Bashir was the security guard who was martyred while on duty outside the Silk Bank branch in Islamabad on Monday June 13. According to eyewitnesses, Bashir stopped the bomber at the entrance and, after a brief tussle, the bomber blew himself up. Bashir was mortally wounded and succumbed to his injuries when he was shifted to a hospital.

It was a working day in the bank and Bashirs sacrifice saved all those who were present in the building at that time. He belonged to a village in Azad Kashmir and is survived by four daughters and two sons. In a report on a news channel, the son said that he wanted to be a martyr just like his father. I saw no women wailing or drowned in tears, but a family who took pride in Bashirs martyrdom and spoke of his valour and commitment to his duty.

I recently spoke to a security guard named Ramzan who works for a television channel. He has five children and gets paid Rs 6,000 a month. He was aware of the immense risk to his life and no, it was not the love of martyrdom that lured him to this career but lack of prospects resulting from a lack of education. Let us face it, guarding peoples houses or other sensitive buildings does not quite have the appeal that the armed forces do. It really is not a passion in hibernation that is rekindled by the prospect of earning a few thousand rupees or risking your neck at the hands of unpredictable suicide bombers. Ramzan told me that the security company that has employed him has provided him with ammunition but has not permitted him to shoot. So, if he ever feels that a dubious looking person approaching the building could be a grave threat, he cannot shoot as the company will not take responsibility for it. In that case, he added, I know I will be the first to die. This is quite mind-boggling though because it defeats the purpose of guarding. When I questioned him regarding any perks or financial compensation his company would provide in case of his demise, he said, God knows what will happen to my children once I die as I am not aware of any reparation.

Ghulam Mustafa works outside a house and makes Rs 7,000 a month. He has three children. He told me he was permitted to shoot in the air to scare people off but not otherwise. When I asked him if he has any life insurance, he laughed and asked me what that meant. And, well, I really did not want to engage anymore in the morbid conversation of what would happen to his loved ones when he dies.

The psychological pressure that the security guards face is merely one terrifying aspect of their jobs. They get up every morning unaware whether they will live to see another day. Bashirs act of valour made the headlines for one day, a package or two on the widow and children he left behind ran for another. Heartrending music in the background, a weeping widow captured in slow motion and a two-year-old toddler watching in bewilderment the commotion that surrounded her. We have witnessed it all too many times.

I cannot think of any job that is as high risk and unrewarding as that of security guards. The demand for guards for houses, companies, offices and other businesses is on the rise. Yet these guards have low pay scales, long duty hours (as opposed to the eight hours we give in the comfort of our offices), no on-the-job training, no authority to shoot when presented with a credible threat and no benefits for families in case of death on duty.

If we actually valued our own lives, we would value their lives a lot more. If Bashir had not deterred the bomber, so many families would have been grieving over the loss of their loved ones.

Lauding Bashirs heroic efforts is one thing, but this incident makes me wonder if we as a country have been fair with Bashir and other unsung heroes like him. He was martyred while honouring his contractual obligation to protect the people and gave us what we expected of him. However, did we give him what he deserved? We should stop using politicians as a punching bag and we need to stop watching from the sidelines. Television anchorpersons should perhaps engage in labour law discussions instead of the usual political hogwash that monopolises debates on prime time news shows. Security companies should offer benefits to the families of security guards if the sole bread earner perishes in the line of duty. A package on television showed a black and white picture of Bashir standing and saluting in uniform. Well, perhaps we should salute the martyr too but with action this time, and not mere words.

The writer is a freelance journalist who has worked for Express News and Dunya TV as a news anchor and producer

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2011\06\20\story_20-6-2011_pg3_6

naeemk

MPA (400+ posts)
and all these security agencies are not reformed to provide essential needs and pay coz only our patriotic retierd army officers are allowed to run and own them and make earninings so that all the sacrifices they made during their service could be compensated.