Pakistani pilot offers condolences after 46 years to daughter of Indian pilot he shot down in 1965 w

awan4ever

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Nearly half-a-century after shooting down an Indian civil aircraft under orders during the 1965 war with India, a Pakistan Air Force pilot has sent a condolence message to the daughter of the pilot of the aircraft he downed.

Qais Hussain, a rookie Flying Officer during the 1965 war, made this moving and humane gesture via an e-mail, expressing his condolences and providing details of the circumstances under which he shot down the Indian aircraft.

The e-mail is addressed to Farida Singh, daughter of the Indian Air Force pilot Jahangir Jangoo Engineer, one of the three famous Engineer brothers in the Indian Air Force.

The e-mail, with the subject line Condolence, dated Fri, Aug 5, 2011, is copied to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti, the Indian contacts who helped Mr Hussain to reach out to the bereaved family, something he had wanted to do for some time. Mr Hussain forwarded the e-mail to a group e-mail for Pakistan Air Force colleagues, saying, Most of you would recall that I had shot down an Indian civil aircraft after being scrambled from Mauripur in

1965 War. Referring to an April 2011 article by Air Cdre. Kaiser Tufail (The Gujarat Beechcraft Incident - 1965 War, http://bit.ly/qhltr65 ), which gives details of the incident, he says that it was Naveed Riaz, the Lahore-based businessman and aviation enthusiast who helped him get in touch with the Indian contacts through whom he then managed to reach Jahangir Engineers daughter.

I had decided to write a note of condolence, which I was able to do today and it is attached in full here below for your information, he writes to his PAF colleagues, copied to Naveed Riaz.

Reproduced below in full is his e-mail to Farida Singh:

Dear Mrs. Singh, I am glad that by now we know about each other and it is no surprise that I am writing to you, thanks to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti.

The incident happened 46 years back but it is as fresh in my mind as if it had happened yesterday. The aircraft flown by your father had drifted off course by many a miles and in his search for the destination, he had been going up and down in the border area of Rann of Katchh for quite some time and it made our Radar Controllers uncomfortable.

I happened to be strapped up in my aircraft along with another pilot (my Leader) in his, on two minutes take-off alert. We were scrambled but I had to take off alone, and with the help from my radar controller, intercepted your fathers aircraft which was considered to be on a recce mission to open a new war front. I caught sight of him at 3000 and made a pass so close that I could read his markings and the number of the aircraft.

Your father spotted my presence immediately and he started climbing and waggling his wings seeking mercy. Instead of firing at him at first sight, I relayed to my controller that I had intercepted an eight seat transport aircraft (guessing by the four side windows) and wanted further instructions to deal with it.

At the same time, I was hoping that I would be called back without firing a shot. There was a lapse of 3 to 4 long minutes before I was given clear orders to shoot the aircraft. After the shooting, I had a sense of achievement and satisfaction that I had completed my mission and destroyed any recce data that might have been collected to open a new war front. I landed back at Mauripur, Karachi with my fuel tanks bone dry and was greeted by my seniors and other squadron colleagues.

Later that evening, All India Radio announced the names of the occupants who had lost their lives in that aircraft. The reason that I have been trying to get in touch with you since recently is an article by Air Cdre Kaiser Tufail in April 2011, in which he researched the whole incident and came out with his story by interviewing me, the radar controller (a Flying Officer) and his supervisor (a Wing Commander) who took the decision to order the shoot.

I have also read numerous versions that appeared in the Indian media at the time, said to be eyewitness accounts from peasants of Mithapur which are unfortunately based on hearsay. Even the findings of an Enquiry Committee constituted by the Indian Government are nowhere near to what actually happened.

I was alone at the site of incident while my Leader who took off finally about 6 to 7 minutes after me (due to change of aircraft and a new pilot), was perched at the border at 20,000 acting as a relay station between me and the controller at Badin. I had lost contact somewhere while descending to 3,000 and had we not had this aircraft at 20,000 at the border, I would not have found your fathers aircraft and he would not have lost his life along with all the others.

Nonetheless, the unfortunate part in all this is that I had to execute the orders of my controller.Mrs Singh, I have chosen to go into this detail to tell you that it all happened in the line of duty and it was not governed by the concept that everything is fair in love and war, the way it has been portrayed by the Indian media due to lack of information. I did not play foul and went by the rules of business but the unfortunate loss of precious lives, no matter how it happens, hurts each human and I am no exception. I feel sorry for you, your family and the other seven families who lost their dearest ones. I feel greatly grieved that you lost your brother Noshir recently.

If an opportunity ever arises that I could meet you face to face to condole the death of your father 46 years back I would grab it with both hands. I would highly appreciate if you please convey my feelings to the other members of your family, who were equally hurt by the untimely departure of Jungoo to the next world.I hope and pray that you and your family stay well

My best regardsQais

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=61860&Cat=2

canadian43

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
I pay my Condolence for his family as well.................... PAF was not suppose to fire on civil plan.....Islam never allows muslims to attack civilians property or people......................It might be the misunderstanding by radar controller........

Pakistan zindabad........ PAF Zindabad,,,,,,,,

QADIANITRUTH

Senator (1k+ posts)
I pay my Condolence for his family as well.................... PAF was not suppose to fire on civil plan.....Islam never allows muslims to attack civilians property or people......................It might be the misunderstanding by radar controller........

Pakistan zindabad........ PAF Zindabad,,,,,,,,

Please read the post carefully. The aircraft was a civilian but was shot because it was believed to be on recce to open a new front.
Beautiful message by PilotQais and that makes us all proud of our armed forces..

hamza100

Councller (250+ posts)
issay kehtay hain 900 chohay kha ker billi hajj ko chilli. iss ppilot nay apnay plots aur baqi benefits tou nahi choray hun gay. abb aya afsoos karnay

Bombaybuz

Minister (2k+ posts)
ya tou khud apney jazba a jihadd ko gaali dane wali baat hai ... dushmaan sai kahey ki condolancce ?? woh bhe 48 saal baad .. main dekhta kya reaction hota ager ya he condolance pilot sahab 48 hrs k baad ker rahey hotey ... there must be something behind this .. ya aik try hai cheap publicity gain karney ki ... jo bhe hoo PAF must look into this ... as what he did that time was his duty towards his nation and PAF ... and now he cannot use it or change it for personal gain.

anees1980

MPA (400+ posts)
issay kehtay hain 900 chohay kha ker billi hajj ko chilli. iss ppilot nay apnay plots aur baqi benefits tou nahi choray hun gay. abb aya afsoos karnay
Me kehta hu agar 1 carore chuhey bhi kha kar billi haj ko jae to Allah Tallah Muaf karne wala he.

QaiserMirza

Is that now all our soldiers have to apologize for their acts in war with our enemy India.

"NO"
Our brave soldiers had done what they are supposed to do to save the mother land.
and they will be doing this in future too, when ever any one raise an eye on us.

Salute to our Soldiers.

Unicorn

Banned
Is that now all our soldiers have to apologize for their acts in war with our enemy India.

"NO"
Our brave soldiers had done what they are supposed to do to save the mother land.
and they will be doing this in future too, when ever any one raise an eye on us.

Salute to our Soldiers.

Yes you need to toughen up your solders. If they end up shooting civilians thats tough luck. You got to go back and let the Bangladesh veterans teach your solders how its done.

awan4ever

This is unf**king believable!!

A soldier feels bad for having to shoot down a commercial plane. HE wasnt a bad soldier. He followed orders and did what was best for the country in the heat of war.

He regrets that there was loss of life. He hasnt said he is sorry he did it. He says he regrets that it happened the way it happend. Theres a difference. He made a professional choice but he is human and maybe having killed innocents in the heat of battle was weighing on his mind.

He is a better Muslim and a human then the asses who are questioning his dedication to his nation.

QaiserMirza

Yes you need to toughen up your solders. If they end up shooting civilians thats tough luck. You got to go back and let the Bangladesh veterans teach your solders how its done.
Pandit Unicorn, We will not spare any eye which raise on us from east of our border, no matter whose it is.
So be careful, dont blame our soldiers then.

SINGH KING

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Mullah Qaiseer, we dont raise our eyes on anyones bordor rather u tried to infiltrated our border 4 times and suffered on all the ocassions.

waajeewaa

Voter (50+ posts)
SINGH....we are adventurous ppl..like to ungal with you guys all the time.....funy part is you guys cant do anything about it .....about suffering ...we already have tones of problems ..so for us what doesnt kills us makes us stronger....as for bangladesh .....i think it was blessing in disguise .....i would have been embarrased to call them pakistani anyway ....

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Anees I agree with you, but there are some people who will find evil in everything.
They are not to be blamed it is the evil which surrounded them since there birth. So they are helpless.......forgive them.

drkjke

Pakistani pilot seeks apology from indian family of indian pilot he shot down 46 years ago inside pakistan airspace

Pakistani pilot writes after 46 years to daughter of Indian pilot he shot down

http://images.thenews.com.pk/09-08-2011/ethenews/e-61860.htm

Beena Sarwar
Nearly half-a-century after shooting down an Indian civil aircraft under orders during the 1965 war with India, a Pakistan Air Force pilot has sent a condolence message to the daughter of the pilot of the aircraft he downed.
Qais Hussain, a rookie Flying Officer during the 1965 war, made this moving and humane gesture via an e-mail, expressing his condolences and providing details of the circumstances under which he shot down the Indian aircraft.
The e-mail is addressed to Farida Singh, daughter of the Indian Air Force pilot Jahangir “Jangoo” Engineer, one of the three famous Engineer brothers in the Indian Air Force.
The e-mail, with the subject line “Condolence”, dated Fri, Aug 5, 2011, is copied to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti, the Indian contacts who helped Mr Hussain to reach out to the bereaved family, something he had wanted to do for some time. Mr Hussain forwarded the e-mail to a group e-mail for Pakistan Air Force colleagues, saying, “Most of you would recall that I had shot down an Indian civil aircraft after being scrambled from Mauripur in
1965 War”. Referring to an April 2011 article by Air Cdre. Kaiser Tufail (“The Gujarat Beechcraft Incident - 1965 War”, http://bit.ly/qhltr65 ), which gives details of the incident, he says that it was Naveed Riaz, the Lahore-based businessman and aviation enthusiast who helped him get in touch with the Indian contacts through whom he then managed to reach Jahangir Engineer’s daughter.
“I had decided to write a note of condolence, which I was able to do today and it is attached in full here below for your information,” he writes to his PAF colleagues, copied to Naveed Riaz.
Reproduced below in full is his e-mail to Farida Singh: “Dear Mrs. Singh, “I am glad that by now we know about each other and it is no surprise that I am writing to you, thanks to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti.
“The incident happened 46 years back but it is as fresh in my mind as if it had happened yesterday. The aircraft flown by your father had drifted off course by many a miles and in his search for the destination, he had been going up and down in the border area of Rann of Katchh for quite some time and it made our Radar Controllers uncomfortable.
I happened to be strapped up in my aircraft along with another pilot (my Leader) in his, on two minutes take-off alert. We were scrambled but I had to take off alone, and with the help from my radar controller, intercepted your father’s aircraft which was considered to be on a recce mission to open a new war front. I caught sight of him at 3000’ and made a pass so close that I could read his markings and the number of the aircraft.
Your father spotted my presence immediately and he started climbing and waggling his wings seeking mercy. “Instead of firing at him at first sight, I relayed to my controller that I had intercepted an eight seat transport aircraft (guessing by the four side windows) and wanted further instructions to deal with it.
At the same time, I was hoping that I would be called back without firing a shot. There was a lapse of 3 to 4 long minutes before I was given clear orders to shoot the aircraft. “After the shooting, I had a sense of achievement and satisfaction that I had completed my mission and destroyed any recce data that might have been collected to open a new war front. I landed back at Mauripur, Karachi with my fuel tanks bone dry and was greeted by my seniors and other squadron colleagues.
Later that evening, All India Radio announced the names of the occupants who had lost their lives in that aircraft. “The reason that I have been trying to get in touch with you since recently is an article by Air Cdre Kaiser Tufail in April 2011, in which he researched the whole incident and came out with his story by interviewing me, the radar controller (a Flying Officer) and his supervisor (a Wing Commander) who took the decision to order the shoot.
I have also read numerous versions that appeared in the Indian media at the time, said to be eyewitness accounts from peasants of Mithapur which are unfortunately based on hearsay. Even the findings of an Enquiry Committee constituted by the Indian Government are nowhere near to what actually happened.
I was alone at the site of incident while my Leader who took off finally about 6 to 7 minutes after me (due to change of aircraft and a new pilot), was perched at the border at 20,000’ acting as a relay station between me and the controller at Badin. I had lost contact somewhere while descending to 3,000’ and had we not had this aircraft at 20,000’ at the border, I would not have found your father’s aircraft and he would not have lost his life along with all the others.
Nonetheless, the unfortunate part in all this is that I had to execute the orders of my controller.“Mrs Singh, I have chosen to go into this detail to tell you that it all happened in the line of duty and it was not governed by the concept that ‘everything is fair in love and war’, the way it has been portrayed by the Indian media due to lack of information. I did not play foul and went by the rules of business but the unfortunate loss of precious lives, no matter how it happens, hurts each human and I am no exception. I feel sorry for you, your family and the other seven families who lost their dearest ones. I feel greatly grieved that you lost your brother Noshir recently.
If an opportunity ever arises that I could meet you face to face to condole the death of your father 46 years back I would grab it with both hands. I would highly appreciate if you please convey my feelings to the other members of your family, who were equally hurt by the untimely departure of Jungoo to the next world.“I hope and pray that you and your family stay well“My best regards…Qais”
------------------------------------------------------

is it not strange that our army people have become so soft now due to indian culture adoptation that they are asking forgivenss from family of indian pilot who was on spying mission inside pakistan to bomb its targets in 65 war...
has india ever asked apology to pakistani nation for bombing pakistani passenger trains in 1965 war which killed hundreds of innocent women and children of pakistan,even in lahores walton area people still remember the indian aircraft who bombed a passenger train in 65 war killing many innocent people.indians have also never sought apology for 1947 punjab riots in which hindus and sikhs killed millions of muslims and raped thousands of muslim women....

recently a friend told me that he attended the marriage of a generals son in lahores five star hotel...in this wedding all generals danced wearing hindu dhotis and danced like mad on indian songs.no wonder that after leaving islam this nation has no honour left..

no general or army guy or government person has ever sought apology from families of 2000 jamia hafza girls they killed just recently, but they are quick in seeking apology from a hindu terrorist,s family who was on bombing mission inside pakistan ......

Allah subhanahu says in quran (surah alfatah number 48 , ayat number 29)

Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is the Messenger of Allah. And those who are with him are severe against disbelievers, and merciful among themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------

but leaving true path of islam has resulted in so called muslims doing opposite to what above ayat orders.
alas.still this nation wonders why its in azaab?

Last edited:

Unicorn

Banned
Re: Pakistani pilot seeks apology from indian family of indian pilot he shot down 46 years ago inside pakistan airspace

Pakistani pilot writes after 46 years to daughter of Indian pilot he shot down

http://images.thenews.com.pk/09-08-2011/ethenews/e-61860.htm

Beena Sarwar
The e-mail is addressed to Farida Singh, daughter of the Indian Air Force pilot Jahangir “Jangoo” Engineer, one of the three famous Engineer brothers in the Indian Air Force.
The e-mail, with the subject line “Condolence”, dated Fri, Aug 5, 2011, is copied to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti, the Indian contacts who helped Mr Hussain to reach out to the bereaved family, something he had wanted to do for some time. Mr Hussain forwarded the e-mail to a group e-mail for Pakistan Air Force colleagues, saying, “Most of you would recall that I had shot down an Indian civil aircraft after being scrambled from Mauripur in
1965 War”. Referring to an April 2011 article by Air Cdre. Kaiser Tufail (“The Gujarat Beechcraft Incident - 1965 War”, http://bit.ly/qhltr65 ), which gives details of the incident, he says that it was Naveed Riaz, the Lahore-based businessman and aviation enthusiast who helped him get in touch with the Indian contacts through whom he then managed to reach Jahangir Engineer’s daughter.
“I had decided to write a note of condolence, which I was able to do today and it is attached in full here below for your information,” he writes to his PAF colleagues, copied to Naveed Riaz.
Reproduced below in full is his e-mail to Farida Singh: “Dear Mrs. Singh, “I am glad that by now we know about each other and it is no surprise that I am writing to you, thanks to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti.
“The incident happened 46 years back but it is as fresh in my mind as if it had happened yesterday. The aircraft flown by your father had drifted off course by many a miles and in his search for the destination, he had been going up and down in the border area of Rann of Katchh for quite some time and it made our Radar Controllers uncomfortable.
I happened to be strapped up in my aircraft along with another pilot (my Leader) in his, on two minutes take-off alert. We were scrambled but I had to take off alone, and with the help from my radar controller, intercepted your father’s aircraft which was considered to be on a recce mission to open a new war front. I caught sight of him at 3000’ and made a pass so close that I could read his markings and the number of the aircraft.
Your father spotted my presence immediately and he started climbing and waggling his wings seeking mercy. “Instead of firing at him at first sight, I relayed to my controller that I had intercepted an eight seat transport aircraft (guessing by the four side windows) and wanted further instructions to deal with it.
At the same time, I was hoping that I would be called back without firing a shot. There was a lapse of 3 to 4 long minutes before I was given clear orders to shoot the aircraft. “After the shooting, I had a sense of achievement and satisfaction that I had completed my mission and destroyed any recce data that might have been collected to open a new war front. I landed back at Mauripur, Karachi with my fuel tanks bone dry and was greeted by my seniors and other squadron colleagues.
Later that evening, All India Radio announced the names of the occupants who had lost their lives in that aircraft. “The reason that I have been trying to get in touch with you since recently is an article by Air Cdre Kaiser Tufail in April 2011, in which he researched the whole incident and came out with his story by interviewing me, the radar controller (a Flying Officer) and his supervisor (a Wing Commander) who took the decision to order the shoot.
I was alone at the site of incident while my Leader who took off finally about 6 to 7 minutes after me (due to change of aircraft and a new pilot), was perched at the border at 20,000’ acting as a relay station between me and the controller at Badin. I had lost contact somewhere while descending to 3,000’ and had we not had this aircraft at 20,000’ at the border, I would not have found your father’s aircraft and he would not have lost his life along with all the others.
Nonetheless, the unfortunate part in all this is that I had to execute the orders of my controller.“Mrs Singh, I have chosen to go into this detail to tell you that it all happened in the line of duty and it was not governed by the concept that ‘everything is fair in love and war’, the way it has been portrayed by the Indian media due to lack of information. I did not play foul and went by the rules of business but the unfortunate loss of precious lives, no matter how it happens, hurts each human and I am no exception. I feel sorry for you, your family and the other seven families who lost their dearest ones. I feel greatly grieved that you lost your brother Noshir recently.
If an opportunity ever arises that I could meet you face to face to condole the death of your father 46 years back I would grab it with both hands. I would highly appreciate if you please convey my feelings to the other members of your family, who were equally hurt by the untimely departure of Jungoo to the next world.“I hope and pray that you and your family stay well“My best regards…Qais”
------------------------------------------------------

is it not strange that our army people have become so soft now due to indian culture adoptation that they are asking forgivenss from family of indian pilot who was on spying mission inside pakistan to bomb its targets in 65 war...
has india ever asked apology to pakistani nation for bombing pakistani passenger trains in 1965 war which killed hundreds of innocent women and children of pakistan,even in lahores walton area people still remember the indian aircraft who bombed a passenger train in 65 war killing many innocent people.indians have also never sought apology for 1947 punjab riots in which hindus and sikhs killed millions of muslims and raped thousands of muslim women....

recently a friend told me that he attended the marriage of a generals son in lahores five star hotel...in this wedding all generals danced wearing hindu dhotis and danced like mad on indian songs.no wonder that after leaving islam this nation has no honour left..

no general or army guy or government person has ever sought apology from families of 2000 jamia hafza girls they killed just recently, but they are quick in seeking apology from a hindu terrorist,s family who was on bombing mission inside pakistan ......

Allah subhanahu says in quran (surah alfatah number 48 , ayat number 29)

Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is the Messenger of Allah. And those who are with him are severe against disbelievers, and merciful among themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------

but leaving true path of islam has resulted in so called muslims doing opposite to what above ayat orders.
alas.still this nation wonders why its in azaab?

This is part of your delusions, most of the information that resides in your head comes from your "friends, military and politicians".

This gentleman offered his apology on a personal level not for state of Pakistan. In doing this " un-Islamic act", according to you, blame lies on India.

You are the most enlightened individual here.

Last edited: