Model stands by vow to strip if India wins cup

lotaa

Minister (2k+ posts)
[hilar]
By AP
MUMBAI - Cricket has a long history of streakers, but India's traditionalists are incensed that a model's barefaced cheek might mar Saturday's World Cup final.

Poonam Pandey has pledged to strip as a reward for India's players if they beat Sri Lanka. Her offer hasn't met with widespread approval.

Right wing parties have decried "such vulgarity and obscenity." Pandey says she will "do it for the Indian team and I really don't care about the rest of the world."

"We are totally against such vulgarity and obscenity," a member of an Indian right wing party told the Hindustan Times.

A spokesman for Shiv Sena, an extreme far right party, wants the government to step in to "make sure such acts should stop. If they do not handle it, we will."

Pandey can't understand what the fuss is about. She first made the offer before India's momentous semifinal win over Pakistan and stood by her promise on Friday, saying she will either strip for the team in the dressing room or on the pitch providing they beat Sri Lanka.

"Of course I am going to do it," Pandey told Friday's edition of the Times of India.

Not everyone is so outraged, and her offer has brought her nationwide fame quite a publicity stunt for the 20-year-old who is a calendar girl for an Indian airline.

On Friday morning, Poonam Pandey was the top trending topic on Twitter in India, and for the last few days, she has been among the most searched-for celebrities on the internet in the country.

Pandey says she has received plenty of support, but plans to ask permission from the Indian cricket authorities before going through with her promise.

"I really don't want to do anything that is against the law," she said.

Streakers have been a regular sight at cricket matches through the years, but not in India.

Back in 1977, Australian cricketer Greg Chappell took offense at a naked man running across the pitch at Auckland and thwacked him several times with his bat before the police arrived to arrest him.

The cheeky prankster tried to bring an assault charge against Chappell. The cricketer was cleared.

Sheila Nicholls picked the venerable Lord's ground in London as her venue of choice, cartwheeling naked on the hallowed turf in 1989. She went on to become a singer-songwriter, achieving some success in the United States where she toured with k.d. lang.

In football, Larissa Riquelme pledged to strip for the players if Paraguay won last year's World Cup. Her team was beaten in the quarterfinals, but the model went through with her promise to cheer up the country's disappointed fans.

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
[hilar]
By AP

MUMBAI - Cricket has a long history of streakers, but India's traditionalists are incensed that a model's barefaced cheek might mar Saturday's World Cup final.

Poonam Pandey has pledged to strip as a reward for India's players if they beat Sri Lanka. Her offer hasn't met with widespread approval.

Right wing parties have decried "such vulgarity and obscenity." Pandey says she will "do it for the Indian team and I really don't care about the rest of the world."

"We are totally against such vulgarity and obscenity," a member of an Indian right wing party told the Hindustan Times.

A spokesman for Shiv Sena, an extreme far right party, wants the government to step in to "make sure such acts should stop. If they do not handle it, we will."

Pandey can't understand what the fuss is about. She first made the offer before India's momentous semifinal win over Pakistan and stood by her promise on Friday, saying she will either strip for the team in the dressing room or on the pitch providing they beat Sri Lanka.

"Of course I am going to do it," Pandey told Friday's edition of the Times of India.

Not everyone is so outraged, and her offer has brought her nationwide fame quite a publicity stunt for the 20-year-old who is a calendar girl for an Indian airline.

On Friday morning, Poonam Pandey was the top trending topic on Twitter in India, and for the last few days, she has been among the most searched-for celebrities on the internet in the country.

Pandey says she has received plenty of support, but plans to ask permission from the Indian cricket authorities before going through with her promise.

"I really don't want to do anything that is against the law," she said.

Streakers have been a regular sight at cricket matches through the years, but not in India.

Back in 1977, Australian cricketer Greg Chappell took offense at a naked man running across the pitch at Auckland and thwacked him several times with his bat before the police arrived to arrest him.

The cheeky prankster tried to bring an assault charge against Chappell. The cricketer was cleared.

Sheila Nicholls picked the venerable Lord's ground in London as her venue of choice, cartwheeling naked on the hallowed turf in 1989. She went on to become a singer-songwriter, achieving some success in the United States where she toured with k.d. lang.

In football, Larissa Riquelme pledged to strip for the players if Paraguay won last year's World Cup. Her team was beaten in the quarterfinals, but the model went through with her promise to cheer up the country's disappointed fans.

...................................................................................................

Above thread was posted twice as and when it appeared on "Expresstribune" but for unknown reasons the 'mopderator' failed to clear it for posting. Model picture is also with held for unspecified reasons. WHY???

hans

Banned
correct me ... is not Poonam Pandey daughter of Balasaheb (Bal) Keshav Thackeray?[hilar]

Unicorn

Banned
I relay don't want to see her do this but if it pisses of the right wing its a good thing. Go for it Poonam

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Poonam's bare not for all, only Team India !!!

Poonam's bare not for all, only Team India

By IANS
Published: April 4, 2011

poonam-panday-640x480.jpg

Poonam Panday said she wanted to excite Indian players to play better.

NEW DEHLI: She may or may not get to strip for the Men in Blue, but young model Poonam Pandey has sure got a lot of media attention as well as lucrative offers from international magazines that want her to pose naked.
The aspiring actress, who has grabbed headlines for stating that she will bare all if Team India wins the World Cup, has been flooded with offers from foreign glossies. But she has rejected them saying she will strip only for the Indian team.
So far she is flooded with many offers from India and world wide. Right from Indian reality shows to international magazines. More than that, she got a huge half million dollar offer from an international magazine to pose nude for their cover, but she rejected it as the act to go nude was only meant for team India to get home the World Cup and not to make fame and money. She is on cloud nine as India won the cup, said Poonams manager Vipin M.
The 19-year-old was one of the top eight contestants of Gladrags model hunt contest last year.
According to Vipin, the model has been getting threatening calls from moral police and she is avoiding taking calls or talking to anybody in person unless she gets an approval from BCCI.
Poonam made her controversial offer on Twitter just before the semifinal in Mohali.
But later she made a statement saying she would only do so if BCCI permits. On Friday she sent an official letter to the board, saying going naked for the team would have a therapeutic effect on Team India and help them win.
In the letter, she wrote: ..I want India to win the Cricket World Cup 2011 and am willing to go the extra mile to do anything so that India wins the World Cup. I am ready and willing at any place and time of the Indian teams choosing to go in the nude to boost their sporting spirit to perform better.
She also cited many studies conducted by various universities abroad which confirms and infers that such performances/expectations boost and inspire people to perform better in any field, be it sports or otherwise. Even medical books on psychology and psychiatry confirms this.
The model made a humble request to be allowed to perform in the privacy of the Indian cricket teams dressing room or any other place of your choosing. She suggested a foreign land like Paris in France, so that the Laws of India if a hindrance, shall not apply.
It would act like a private therapeutic performance with a psychologists presence and cannot be an offence under any law for the time being in force if the team members have no objection and the BCCI gives the go ahead.(http://tribune.com.pk/story/142774/poonams-bare-not-for-all-only-team-india/)

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Re: Poonam's bare not for all, only Team India !!!

What I saw in the Mohali stadium

By Letter
Published: April 4, 2011

KARACHI: I was lucky enough to be able to go to Mohali to watch the semi-final match with India. The media and our Indian hosts showered us with heart-warming affection from the minute we crossed the Wagah border all the way to our hotel. However, this was not at all the case with the security staff at the stadium.
Our seats were right in the middle of one of the main stands, with a sea of blue all around us. This was perhaps a bit intimidating, but we resolved to focus on the match and what would happen on the field. However, I couldn’t help but notice that the Indian openers were cheered onto the field — as they would have been — while our players were hooted, booed and hurled abuses at when they entered the playing area. We, however, clapped and cheered both the green and blue teams.
Also, it must be said that the organisers seemed quite unaware that they were hosting an international World Cup match, and for them this was an occasion to serenade and glorify the Indian Cricket team. However, that is exactly what happened with songs which had phrases like Khoon kee holi in them played all the time. I felt as if until the game reached the point where the success of the Indian team was all but assured, most of the handful of Pakistani spectators were unable to breathe easy.
My purpose in writing this is to explain to the Pakistanis in Pakistan that it is easy to be judgemental while sitting in your homes in your own country. Without offering any excuses for our team’s mistakes, I must remind all of you that it was more than cricket that was being played there. And with that in mind I admire our players who braved it out against the immense odds with such good grace. The best of teams, and our team is very good, would have their hands full against the sea of hostility that our players were up against. To our captain and team I will say tum jeeto ya haro, humein tum se pyaar hai.
Shazia Abid Zuberi
Published in The Express Tribune, April 4th, 2011.

Young

Senator (1k+ posts)

Who wants to look her naked??????????. popularity ticts

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)

Who wants to look her naked??????????. popularity ticts

......................................................................................................................................

You are not aware about Bollywood. Model/Actresses can go to any extent. My friend, Writer, Producer & Director (Himself) P.D. Mehra made "ISHQ KHUDA HA" in early 90's (1993-94) and bring his film VCD (Along) when came & stayed with me, for almost seven weeks in Lahore. The VCD contained his film 'trailor' and most explosive (Naked) shots of Bollywood heroines. Mind it I'm telling this (about Indian film Industry) almost 16-17 years, afterwards! Now you can get genuine 'Blue-films" of Bollywood Actresses for just Rs.30-Rs.80/-each. Never be blindfolded again!