Indian Army Officer Faces charges of sexual exploitation and abuse - another incident in UN

BluntMan

MPA (400+ posts)
Indian major facing UN probe for sexual misconduct
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
News Desk

UNITED NATIONS: An Indian Army officer, Major R S Ghumman, belonging to Jammu and Kashmir Rifles Battalion is facing a probe by the UN Mission in Congo on charges of sexual exploitation and abuse.

The probe was announced by Anayansi Lopez of the Department of Peace Keeping Operations, who said that the Government of India had been informed of the investigations and a National Investigating Officer from India had arrived to assist the Office of the Internal Oversight Services (OIOS).The probe is being handled by the Conduct and Discipline Unit (CDU) of the UN.

This is not the first incident of conduct unbecoming by Indian officers deputed to the UN peace keeping mission in Congo. In March 2008 three Indian officers were arrested by Pretoria Police in South Africa once a woman accused them of rape. The incident had drawn sharp criticism from the UN Secretary General Ban-ki-Moon who had demanded disciplinary action against the accused for sexually exploiting local women and children in Congo. It was the fourth such misconduct by Indian peace-keepers in Congo since January that year.

According to analysts, incidents involving Indian officers in cases of sexual misconduct reflect poorly on the state of discipline in the Indian Army. Indian Officers and men, used to the sweeping powers conferred upon them by AFSPA like draconian laws, find it difficult to adjust to the universal standards of military conduct and discipline while on UN peacekeeping missions where local civilians are dependent on them for protection and refuge.

shim.gif
dot.gif
shim.gif

sarbakaf

Siasat.pk - Blogger
no wonder indian army is so unprofessional and lacks morality
and no wonder the number *******s in indian army is increasing

Zionist Hindu

Senator (1k+ posts)
no wonder indian army is so unprofessional and lacks morality
and no wonder the number *******s in indian army is increasing

All these recycled you tube videos from 1970s show that crimes do occur in India, Some Indians can be criminals, Indian justice system is not perfect and nothing more. I am against all criminals whether they are Indians or any nationality. If the Indian army officer is involved in such heinous crime then he should be punished according to law. By white washing whole Indian army for crimes done by handful you are only showing you immaturity. May be Indian army is not as professional as Pakistani army but they are professional enough not to overthrow civilian elected governments, not to surrender in 100,000's and not to fight for foreign powers for few $$$ . I wouldn't want to write more to hurt your feelings.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
India, shine on, we know what you are behind that f*** democracy and religious tolerance. It will come back to haunt you soon, InshaAllah

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
All these recycled you tube videos from 1970s show that crimes do occur in India, Some Indians can be criminals, Indian justice system is not perfect and nothing more. I am against all criminals whether they are Indians or any nationality. If the Indian army officer is involved in such heinous crime then he should be punished according to law. By white washing whole Indian army for crimes done by handful you are only showing you immaturity. May be Indian army is not as professional as Pakistani army but they are professional enough not to overthrow civilian elected governments, not to surrender in 100,000's and not to fight for foreign powers for few $$$ . I wouldn't want to write more to hurt your feelings.

How poor is your defence!!! And to make the matters more pathetic you are trying to cover the crime by bringing up stuff that is not even relevent just goes to show how much respect you have for the people who are dependent on the Peace keeping efforts entrusted to the indian forces. Shame on your post! Just say this is wrong untill proven otherwise and you would be respected atleast for possesing a little shred of honesty.

Zionist Hindu

Senator (1k+ posts)
How poor is your defence!!! And to make the matters more pathetic you are trying to cover the crime by bringing up stuff that is not even relevent just goes to show how much respect you have for the people who are dependent on the Peace keeping efforts entrusted to the indian forces. Shame on your post! Just say this is wrong untill proven otherwise and you would be respected atleast for possesing a little shred of honesty.

1) Where did I defended the offender?
2) Where did I cover up the crime?
3) Where did I disrespected the people dependent on peace keeping force.
4) I always thought I was honest.
I wouldn't have included the Pakistan army comment, but I was replying to earlier comment which compared them and blamed whole army for the crime of few.
My suggestion to you: Please keep emotion aside.

shaheedchoudry

Minister (2k+ posts)
Baat tou such hai mugar baat hai ruswai ki.

Sponsored Link