Hindi is an artificial language : Markandey Katju

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Rajya-Sabha-adjourned-till-noon-over-Justice-Markandey-Katjus-allegations.jpg

The language of the common man in large parts of India is Hindustani or khariboli, not Hindi.
There is a difference between the two. For example, in Hindustani we say ' udhar dekhiye '. On the other hand,In Hindi it is said ; udhar avalokan keejiye '.

Hindi was an artificial language created by certain bigots who wanted to propagate the idea that Hindi was the language of Hindus, and Urdu of Muslims. This was part of the British policy of divide and rule. In fact Urdu was the common language of all educated persons, whether Hindu, Muslim or Sikh, in large parts of India upto 1947 ( see my article 'What is Urdu ' on my blog justicekatju.blogspot.in ). Thus, while Hindustani was, and still is, the language of the common man, Urdu was the language of the educated class in large parts of India. I have explained in my article ' What is Urdu ' that Urdu is a combination of two languages, Hindustani, which was the common man's language in urban India ( in rural areas there were dialects like Awadhi, Brijbhasha, Bjojpuri, Maghai, Maithili, mewari, marwari, etc ), and Persian which was the language of the aristocrats or elite in India for several centuries. The foundation of Urdu is Hindustani, on which a layer of Persian was placed to make it sophisticated and elegant. This gives Urdu great power and elegance, and Urdu poetry, in expressing the voice of the human heart, is perhaps the greatest poetry in the world.

After 1947 a massive propaganda was launched by certain fanatics that Urdu was a foreign language, and a language of Muslims alone. Persian words which had come into common usage in Hindustani were sought to be hatefully and systematically replaced by Sanskrit words which were not in common use. For example, 'zila' was replaced by 'janapad '.
When I was a judge in Allahabad High Court, a lawyer who argues only in Hindi, filed a petition before me titled 'Pratibhu Avedan Patra '. I asked him what the word ' pratibhu' meant. He said it meant bail. I then told him that he should have used the word bail or zamaanat, which everybody understands in most parts of India, instead of ' pratibhu ' which no one understands.
Once in Allahabad I was taking a walk in the Cantonment area and saw a board in which it was written ' Pravaran Kendra ' I could not understand what it meant. Looking lower down I saw the words ' Recruitment Centre '. Surely the better words would have been ' Bharti daftar ' which everybody could understand, instead of ' pravaran kendra ' which nobody would understand.
It is fallacious to believe that a language becomes weaker if foreign words enter into it, in fact it becomes stronger. For example, the English language became stronger and was enriched by foreign words entering into it, e.g. from French, German, Arabic, Hindustani, etc

ALLAHABAD-HIGH-COURT_21_8_2.jpg

Once at Allahabad I offered a certain fare to a rickshawall, and he said my offer was 'wajib; i.e. appropriate. Now this word 'wajib' is pure Persian, but it had come into common usage in Hindustani, as even a rickshawalla was using it.
So it is silly to try to remove Persian and Arabic words which had come into common vogue in Hindustani, and in fact this created an artificial language Hindi, which is sometimes difficult for the common man to understand. Often in Courts it was difficult to understand the Hindi used in Government notifications.

This policy of spitefully trying to remove Persian and Arabic words from Hindustani did great harm to Urdu, and almost amounted to genocide on a great language. Great injustice has been done in our country to Urdu, which is in fact a shining gem in the treasury of Indian culture. My attempt has been to restore its old glory.

or-1498210_10002.jpg

I may mention here that while Arabic and Persian are foreign languages ( though I have great respect for them too, as I have great respect for all languages ), Urdu is an indigenous Indian language. It is totally false to call it a foreign language, and bracket it with Arabic and Persian. Urdu is the grand daughter of Sanskrit, not of Persian and Arabic, and over 70% of its words are from Sanskrit. It is a totally secular language, not a language of Muslims alone, as the bigots sought to depict it.

bajrangdalnaziflagmfromtheirhinduunity.orgwebsite.gif

20040102002109001.jpg

This bigoted policy also did harm to Sanskrit, as it was depicted as an oppressor, when in fact.Sanskrit was a language of free thinkers who questioned everything ( see my article ' Sanskrit as a language of Science ' on my blog justicekatju.blogspot.in ). Some people think that Sanskrit was only a language of chanting mantras in temples or Hindu religious ceremonies. In fact that was only 5% of Sanskrit literature. 95% of it has nothing to do with religion, and deals with philosophy, science, art, literature, grammar, etc.

Copied from his Facebook post , and the link is as under:

https://www.facebook.com/justicekatju/posts/1039565006084045

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
This is an eye opener for not just Muslim haters in India; but also the atheists, pseudo liberals and ethno-nationalists (such as JSQM and BLA) in Pakistan who have got some sort of diarrhea ever since news about Urdu becoming an official language has come at the surface. In short this is a message to all those analysts and activists who call Urdu a language brought and imposed by invaders, murderers and looters.

Vitamin_C

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
The language has nothing to do with religion. It is a very good language for literature and poetry. If you want to reunite India and Pakistan into one country again then Urdu-Hindi is the best option. This is mentality of Pakistani elite specially the Nawabs of UP. They did not take the partition very seriously and move back and forth from the 2 countries even after partition (trains from UP to Pakistan were free at that time). "Who cares? India will be back in our hands, we will march on Delhi and Lucknow with the next Mahmud Ghazni."

But does anyone here think this mentality is relevant anymore? I bet very few people here would like India and Pakistan to be reunited. English is serving the purpose very well as an official language. Infact Urdu has never ever been the official language of this region before British colonialism. I would not call Persian a local language, but I would not call it a foreign language either, do not forget that Persian has been the official language of the Indus region for most of the last 2500 years, even before Islam came here. In my opinion English is best official language atm because whole world is getting globalized and English is the Lingua Franca of the world. In Persian vs Urdu, Urdu will be very difficult to implement as an official language and almost impossible.

Last edited:

taban

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
یه بات کر کے مارکنڈے کٹجو اب ڈنڈے کها ئیجو موذی سے

Mohan

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistan is a 'fake' country: Markandey Katju
Markandey-Katju.jpg

NEW DELHI: Pakistan is a "fake" country which was created artificially by the Britishers who started the "bogus two-nation theory", Press Council of India chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju said here on Tuesday.

The former Supreme Court judge was confident that in next 15-20 years India and Pakistan would reunite and a strong, powerful, secular and modern minded government would come to power.

He condemned the recent war hysteria created by media in the wake of beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistanis troops in a cross LoC attack in Jammu and Kashmir.

"First of all let me tell you one thing Pakistan is no country. It's a fake country, it's artificially created country by the British who had the policy of divide and rule by starting this bogus two-nation theory that Hindus and Muslims have two separate nations," he said at a panel discussion here.

"And we are fools and were taken for a ride by the Britishers. Same artificial entity Pakistan was created. What is Paksitan? It is Punjab and Sindh, which is actually part of India," he said at the discussion on "Fuelling Indo-Pak Crisis: Mutilation or the media" at Delhi University.

"It is anti-national to talk about war between the two nations. Our economies, which is already in poor state, would be ruined. You must know that war is very expensive affair and we are poor country. We have fought three wars, has the standard of living of the people risen because of wars," Katju said.

He criticised media for making hue and cry over non-issues like news items related to film stars and cricketers while leaving behind important issues of poverty, price rise, unemployment and malnutrition among children and farmers' suicide.

"In last 15 years, 2.5 lakh farmers have committed suicide but it was suppressed by the media for five years and it came to light only when P Sainath had reported it. Even now no one is reporting it, instead they are reporting with whom Karina is having affair or (Sachin) Tendulkar making his 100th hundred," Katju said, wondering how Tendulkar's 100th hundred will raise the standard of living of the people.

Katju also attacked the media over its round-the-clock coverage of Anna Hazare's agitation and said there was great hue and cry about his agitation as if he would solve all problems.

"Is he modern Moses... He has no scientific ideas. He has honesty but what about scientific ideas, take the example of his way of eradication of alcoholism. Media created a hype him as if now all the problems would solved," he said.

Katju cautioned media and asked them to decide if it is on the side of the people or those anti-people as India was passing through a transitional phase in its history from feudal, agricultural society to modern industrial society.

"In this transitional period, role of media is very important as it not only gives information which is the primary role, but also it should give leadership ideas to the people," the PCI chairman said, adding media should support a cause and cannot remain neutral.

He also attacked "educated elite" for promoting communalism and casteism and said while voting they do not go by the merit of a candidate but by his or her caste.

Terming India as an extremely backward country, he said 90 per cent of Indians are fools. They are full of casteism, full of communalism and full of superstitions.

"80 per cent of Hindus are communal and 80 per cent of the Muslims are communal, this is truth and this is reality," he said.

barca

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Markandey-Katju.jpg

NEW DELHI: Pakistan is a "fake" country which was created artificially by the Britishers who started the "bogus two-nation theory", Press Council of India chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju said here on Tuesday.

The former Supreme Court judge was confident that in next 15-20 years India and Pakistan would reunite and a strong, powerful, secular and modern minded government would come to power.

He condemned the recent war hysteria created by media in the wake of beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistanis troops in a cross LoC attack in Jammu and Kashmir.

"First of all let me tell you one thing Pakistan is no country. It's a fake country, it's artificially created country by the British who had the policy of divide and rule by starting this bogus two-nation theory that Hindus and Muslims have two separate nations," he said at a panel discussion here.

"And we are fools and were taken for a ride by the Britishers. Same artificial entity Pakistan was created. What is Paksitan? It is Punjab and Sindh, which is actually part of India," he said at the discussion on "Fuelling Indo-Pak Crisis: Mutilation or the media" at Delhi University.

"It is anti-national to talk about war between the two nations. Our economies, which is already in poor state, would be ruined. You must know that war is very expensive affair and we are poor country. We have fought three wars, has the standard of living of the people risen because of wars," Katju said.

He criticised media for making hue and cry over non-issues like news items related to film stars and cricketers while leaving behind important issues of poverty, price rise, unemployment and malnutrition among children and farmers' suicide.

"In last 15 years, 2.5 lakh farmers have committed suicide but it was suppressed by the media for five years and it came to light only when P Sainath had reported it. Even now no one is reporting it, instead they are reporting with whom Karina is having affair or (Sachin) Tendulkar making his 100th hundred," Katju said, wondering how Tendulkar's 100th hundred will raise the standard of living of the people.

Katju also attacked the media over its round-the-clock coverage of Anna Hazare's agitation and said there was great hue and cry about his agitation as if he would solve all problems.

"Is he modern Moses... He has no scientific ideas. He has honesty but what about scientific ideas, take the example of his way of eradication of alcoholism. Media created a hype him as if now all the problems would solved," he said.

Katju cautioned media and asked them to decide if it is on the side of the people or those anti-people as India was passing through a transitional phase in its history from feudal, agricultural society to modern industrial society.

"In this transitional period, role of media is very important as it not only gives information which is the primary role, but also it should give leadership ideas to the people," the PCI chairman said, adding media should support a cause and cannot remain neutral.

He also attacked "educated elite" for promoting communalism and casteism and said while voting they do not go by the merit of a candidate but by his or her caste.

Terming India as an extremely backward country, he said 90 per cent of Indians are fools. They are full of casteism, full of communalism and full of superstitions.

"80 per cent of Hindus are communal and 80 per cent of the Muslims are communal, this is truth and this is reality," he said.

90% of Indians are 'idiots', Markandey Katju says
:lol:

Markandey-Katju.jpg

NEW DELHI: Ninety per cent of Indians are "idiots" who can easily be misled by mischievous elements in the name of religion, Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Justice Markandey Katju claimed on Saturday.

"I say ninety per cent of Indians are idiots. You people don't have brains in your heads ... It is so easy to take you for a ride," he said at a seminar.

He said that a communal riot could be incited in Delhi for as meagre an amount as Rs 2000. He said that all somebody has to do is make a mischievous gesture of disrespect to a place of
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/90-of-Indians-are-idiots-Markandey-Katju-says/articleshow/17536647.cms

Mohan

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistan has become a Jurassic park: Justice Katju

[FONT=open_sansregular]Thiruvananthapuram: PCI chief Markandey Katju on Monday likened Pakistan to Jurassic Park, saying violence and deaths are being reported everyday due to inherent faults in that country's formation. Delivering the second Rajiv Gandhi memorial lecture organised by the Institute of Parliamentary Affairs here, he said the commotion in that country was the natural consequence of setting up a theocratic state.[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]"You cannot create a state on the basis of religion in the sub-continent which is full of diversities," he said. Speaking on the topic 'What is India', Katju, whose article 'Truth about Pakistan' was recently published by 'The Nation' in Pakistan, said Partition was a mistake and a combined nation comprising India and Pakistan that would not tolerate religious bigotry and Hindu and Muslim extremism, would become a reality some day in future.

katju_media.jpg

He said Partition had sown the seeds of the destruction of Pakistan as a nation. He also said India was passing through a period of transition from feudal agricultural society to modern industrial society. "The transition is a very painful and agonising period in our history. It is the duty of all patriotic people to spread rational and scientific ideas in this period to combat casteism, communalism and superstitions," he said.
Source[/FONT]

NoFear

MPA (400+ posts)
Markandey-Katju.jpg

Dude not a single time the author of this article used 'Pakistan' related to Urdu. You have so much hate for Pakistan that instead of talking about the article that is on Urdu, Hindi and Sanskrit you started bashing Pakistan. Typical of an Indian who are in Simple term "Complex Ka Shikaar" .. FFS sake grow up.

PS: Author did talk about
Indian BIGOTS and unfortunately you're one of them.

Last edited: