Evolution may be just a theory, but we are definitely Devolving...Funny, but true.

The_Choice

Senator (1k+ posts)

Evolution may be just a theory, but we are definitely Devolving...Funny, but true.

Viewer Discretion: some strong language used.

"And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless."(The Noble Quran 7:179)

Xiggs

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
That's so true...Trevor is always fun. That's so 2015, the pre-trump era and jokes...and now almost 90% of jokes are on Trump...you rarely get to hear non-trump jokes in the daily/night shows.

insouciant

Minister (2k+ posts)

Viewer Discretion: some strong language used.

"And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless."(The Noble Quran 7:179)

Evolution may be just a theory??? :oops::oops::oops::oops: It's a well-established FACT Liar!!

Vitamin_C

No offence but when you say something is just a theory, it demonstrates a critcal lack of understanding and differentiating what scientific theory means and what street use of the word theory means. The two are completely different things. Please stop spreading ignorance and educate yourself.

Vitamin_C

In science, theories are more important than facts because they explain facts and make an accurate prediction that we can test repeatedly.

For example life forms have been evolving over time is a fact, every fossil that we unearth, is a transitionary species between two other species, but facts on their own are useless.

The theory of evolution by natural selection gives us an explanation of how this process takes place and how we can use mathematical models to measure it, replicate it in lab to create vaccines and keep them upto date as viruses evolve to counter our medicine.

Someone who says, germ theory is just a theory, or big bang is just a theory, or evolution is just a theory, simply do not understand what scientific theory means and how important it is in science.

Evolution may be just a theory??? :oops::oops::oops::oops: It's a well-established FACT Liar!!

insouciant

Minister (2k+ posts)
In science, theories are more important than facts because they explain facts and make an accurate prediction that we can test repeatedly.

For example life forms have been evolving over time is a fact, but facts on their own are useless. But the theory of evolution by natural selection gives us an explanation of how this process takes place and how we can replicate it in lab to create vaccines and keep them upto date as viruses evolve to counter our medicine.

Someone who says, germ theory is just a theory, or big bang is just a theory, or evolution is just a theory, simply do not understand what scientific theory means and how important it is in science.

Agree on the definition of the theory but EVOLUTION is not a Theory! It is a FACT!!! When is the stupid world going to stop playing around this?:tensionfemale::tensionfemale::tensionfemale:

Evolution through natural selection is a theory. So when you hear the theory of evolution, it is the short form of "Theory of evolution through natural selection" which explains the fact of Evolution. :cautious::cautious:

Vitamin_C

That is correct. In order to have a theory of evolution, you need to have a fact of evolution. Theory simply explains a fact, so evolution: Change of life forms over time is a fact. The theory of evolution by natural selection explains that fact.

Agree on the definition of the theory but EVOLUTION is not a Theory! It is a FACT!!! When is the stupid world going to stop playing around this?:tensionfemale::tensionfemale::tensionfemale:

Evolution through natural selection is a theory. So when you hear the theory of evolution, it is the short form of "Theory of evolution through natural selection" which explains the fact of Evolution. :cautious::cautious:

The_Choice

Senator (1k+ posts)
No offence but when you say something is just a theory, it demonstrates a critcal lack of understanding and differentiating what scientific theory means and what street use of the word theory means. The two are completely different things. Please stop spreading ignorance and educate yourself.

Relax, it's just in jest. I am not here to get into any grand intellectual debates. By the way, when you begin a statement with the condescending rhetoric of "no offence", you know full well you actually do mean to offend on a very deep level. Calling a stranger ignorant from behind your keyboard over an obviously playful one-liner only reveals your own insecurities and lack of tact. Honestly, Atheists are fast becoming the new "fundamentalists". God help us!

Vitamin_C

I didn't call you ignorant, I called your ideas ignorant. If I am wrong, demonstrate how. We are all ignorant about something, I am ignorant about ice hockey. If you show me I am ignorant about something and add to my knowledge I will be your friend. If I show you that you are wrong on something you become offended and defensive.

Relax, it's just in jest. I am not here to get into any grand intellectual debates. By the way, when you begin a statement with the condescending rhetoric of "no offence", you know full well you actually do mean to offend on a very deep level. Calling a stranger ignorant from behind your keyboard over an obviously playful one-liner only reveals your own insecurities and lack of tact. Honestly, Atheists are fast becoming the new "fundamentalists". God help us!

Last edited:

Prince of Dhump

Senator (1k+ posts)
That is correct. In order to have a theory of evolution, you need to have a fact of evolution. Theory simply explains a fact, so evolution: Change of life forms over time is a fact. The theory of evolution by natural selection explains that fact.

theory explains facts so theory are not facts in its own right they are just tools to explain facts...
tomorrow we might have another much better such tool that can explain these facts in a much better way and thats all there is to it

insouciant

Minister (2k+ posts)

Well... I think Vitamin_C is calling your particular idea about evolution ignorant, not you as a person. And I admit I was once ignorant too! It took me an effort of good 7 years to grow out of it as I was born in a very very religious household where creationism had a strong hold. I read 100's of books and research papers on history, archeology, genetics, paleontology, embryology and traveled half the world to Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Princeton to view and touch the evidence with my own hand before accepting it. So I'm personally at peace that I made the right choice given the due diligence I've done.

I didn't want to start a debate on it too. But I don't want someone mock a fact either and remain silent about it. :confused:

Last edited:

Vitamin_C

*Explains* is oversimplification... There is much more to it. Maybe for common people facts seem very important because they seem so interesting. We use the word "fact" as a figure of speech as well. To mean something that is undeniable etc.

But in science facts area a dime a dozen. They do not hold as much importance to scientists. There is a rock on the street, is a fact, but its useless on its own. The purpose of science is to study the facts and observations and make predictions from these facts. That can be independently verified by third parties and always turn out to be accurate.

By predictions I mean, if you study how birds use lift and aerodynamics to fly, you can make a prediction that if you have an object with a certain amount of aerodynamics and a certain amount of air pressure under its wings it will fly. You then use this prediction to make flying machines.

If this prediction is proven to be wrong, the theory will not stand anymore, but this is extremely rare, as a hypothesis has to hold to these tests before it becomes a theory. You can add on more information to the theory as you gain knowledge, but this is a strength for a theory, not a weakness. For example Darwin's theory of evolution explained how evolution works, but later as our understanding of biology progressed, we learned about DNA and retroviruses that further enhanced the theory. It also corrected some of Darwin's classifications but they theory still makes accurate predictions.

So in a nutshell, theories have the highest status in science, much higher than facts. If something is called a theory, its the highest honour you can give to a concept in science.

"Evolution is just a theory"
I think scientists are also guilty of people misusing this term. Its the humility of scientists that after spending 50 years of their lives dedicated to strengthening the work they are doing on a theory, it gets reviewed by peers, it makes accurate predictions and in the end the white haired scientist would say, it's just a theory.

It is because of their humility that they are not arrogant to say, we are 100% right, there maybe a slight chance that we missed an observation and may have made a slight miscalculation, no matter how insignificant the odds are.

They will often spend 15 years of their lives to prove a hypothesis right, when someone shows them that they are wrong, they go over to that person, shake their hand with humility and thank them for correcting them.

Its sad that people take advantage of this humility and mock 100s of years of scientific achievement and make statements like "Evolution is just a theory", while people who have no understanding of the world say with 100% certainty that God did it and try to discredit every scientific understanding or fact, just because it does not suit their superstitious world view.

theory explains facts so theory are not facts in its own right they are just tools to explain facts...
tomorrow we might have another much better such tool that can explain these facts in a much better way and thats all there is to it

Last edited:

imeeru

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

For example life forms have been evolving over time is a fact, every fossil that we unearth, is a transitionary species between two other species, but facts on their own are useless.

The theory of evolution by natural selection gives us an explanation of how this process takes place and how we can use mathematical models to measure it, replicate it in lab to create vaccines and keep them upto date as viruses evolve to counter our medicine.

I feel so pity for the evolutionists, the only defence they have in favour of theory of evolution, is by explaining what theory means in science. At best they can only confuse pepole (including themselves) by bringing some examples of changes within any species or organism according to their environment, which is more correctly called adaptation NOT evolution.
Bring evidence of change from one species to another before you expect people to believe in your fairy tales, or better read first about flagellum anotomy how it possibly can fit in your so called evolution fairy tales.

Vitamin_C

Because I was also ignorant most of my life and believed the lies that these people fed me, in my family, in the media, in the school system, I had no other source of information.

At-least people now have a chance to verify things on their own before spending decades of their lives believing in lies.

Evolution specifically is one of the most strongest theories in science. Its an insult to the human race and to men and women who dedicated decades of their lives to improve our lives and enhance our knowledge, when people make stupid statements like this just because it does not agree with their superstitious beliefs.

No offense (pun totally intended), why do you get so offended/defensive over evolution? :) Do you have some emotional attachment to it?