CNN: Dr. Abdus Salam; Pioneer of "God Particle"

warraich001

MPA (400+ posts)

Pakistan shuns prize-winning physicist linked to ‘God particle’ because of religious beliefs

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan’s only Nobel laureate helped develop the theoretical framework that led to the apparent discovery of the subatomic “God particle” last week, yet his legacy has been largely scorned in his homeland because of his religious affiliation.
It’s a sign of the growing Islamic extremism in his country.

The Washington Post’s Brian Vastag explains the importnace of finding the ‘God particle,’ or as scientists prefer, the Higgs boson particle.

Adbus Salam, who died in 1996, was once hailed as a national hero for his pioneering work in physics and work that guided the early stages of Pakistan’s nuclear program. Now his name is even stricken from school textbooks because he was a member of the Ahmadi sect that has been persecuted by the government and targeted by Taliban militants, who view them as heretics.
Their plight — along with that of Pakistan’s other religious minorities, such as Shiite Muslims, Christians and Hindus — has deepened in recent years as hard-line interpretations of Islam have gained ground and militants have stepped up attacks against groups they oppose. The majority of Pakistan’s citizens are Sunni Muslims.
Salam, a child prodigy born in 1926 in what was to become Pakistan after the partition of British-controlled India, won more than a dozen international prizes and honors. In 1979, he was co-winner of the Nobel Prize for his work on the so-called Standard Model of particle physics, which theorizes how fundamental forces govern the overall dynamics of the universe.
Salam and Steven Weinberg, with whom he shared the Nobel Prize, independently predicted the existence of a subatomic particle now called the Higgs boson, named after a British physicist who theorized that it endowed other particles with mass, said Pervez Hoodbhoy, a Pakistani physicist who once worked with Salam. It is also known as the “God particle” because its existence is vitally important toward understanding the early evolution of the universe.
Physicists in Switzerland stoked worldwide excitement Wednesday when they announced they have all but proven the particle’s existence. This was done using the world’s largest atom smasher at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, near Geneva.
“This would be a great vindication of Salam’s work and the Standard Model as a whole,” said Khurshid Hasanain, chairman of the physics department at Quaid-i-Azam University in Islamabad.
In the 1960s and early 1970s, Salam wielded significant influence in Pakistan as the chief scientific adviser to the president, helping to set up the country’s space agency and institute for nuclear science and technology. Salam also assisted in the early stages of Pakistan’s effort to build a nuclear bomb, which it eventually tested in 1998.
Salam’s life, along with the fate of the 3 million other Ahmadis in Pakistan, drastically changed in 1974 when parliament amended the constitution to declare that members of the sect were not considered Muslims under Pakistani law.
Ahmadis believe their spiritual leader, Hadrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, who died in 1908, was a prophet of God — a position rejected by the government in response to a mass movement led by Pakistan’s major Islamic parties. Islam considers Muhammad the last prophet and those who subsequently declared themselves prophets as heretics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keepinformed

Siasat.pk - Blogger
hFntv.jpg

Believer12

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Great scientist,,, Newton of Pakistan,,,,i wish we can produce only one more scientist like Abdul Salam. His very modern research institute is always open for Pakistani scientists. I heard that some of his good students were also the part of the team who discovered this new particle.:mash:

Internet

Banned

On January 20th of 1972, Nuclear engineer Sultan Bashiruddin Mehmood is addressing a conference in a classified meeting in Multan which later emerged as Multan Meeting. Here in this photo, President and Chief Martial Law Administrator (later elected Prime minister), Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is seated in center or (second right) with Abdus Salam, Science Adviser that time, on his (first right) and Ishrat Hussain Usmani on (far) right. Here, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto officially announced, authorized and orchestrated to build the atomic weapons in response to Indian nuclear efforts.

Last edited:

Lawangeen

Minister (2k+ posts)
CNN just spread hatred... they could have present this new in a better way other then just focusing on sunni n ahmadiya sect...

Internet

Banned

Abdus Salam (far right) is seen approaching to shake hands with President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Bhutto is seen looking forward at Salam). In middle, Munir Ahmad Khan Shakes hand with Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. This image file is believed to be taken at KANUPP-I — a Candu-type nuclear power plant in Paradise Point, Karachi.

rehman1978

Senator (1k+ posts)

On January 20th of 1972, Nuclear engineer Sultan Bashiruddin Mehmood is addressing a conference in a classified meeting in Multan which later emerged as Multan Meeting. Here in this photo, President and Chief Martial Law Administrator (later elected Prime minister), Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is seated in center or (second right) with Abdus Salam, Science Adviser that time, on his (first right) and Ishrat Hussain Usmani on (far) right. Here, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto officially announced, authorized and orchestrated to build the atomic weapons in response to Indian nuclear efforts.
Yup, and it was you ZAB who declared him non-muslim: do a complete research

Internet

Banned
Yup, and it was you ZAB who declared him non-muslim: do a complete research

Yup and it was a smart move by PPP. Every religion and sect claims itself to be right and the others infidels. It makes no difference for PPP or Ahmedis. Why don't you ask your Generals to get the amendmend striked down ?

What did your Generals do in 1984 ?

You need to do a research to find out the difference in the reasons of PPP's move and the move of Generals.

Last edited:

Internet

Banned
Sorry to say, but aap agae apni aukat per, for me him as pakistani is enough to pay my regards.... dont make it sindi punjabi saraiki or muslim non muslim issue

For you that is enough but for me he automatically becomes someone from Saraiki waseb too. What is wrong in it ?

The dirt is in your brain not mine.

Last edited:

Farooq Khan

MPA (400+ posts)
Pakistan is great country only our system and so called leaders are to Blame who are Looter by the way if we call us Pakistani first and rest is secondary and change our Education system as well and teach our children we are Pakistani first Muslim,Christians,Hindu,Ahmedi,Sikh,Parsi,and all others comes later and be tolerant towards each other we all will benefit and Pakistan will be a Prosper country Insha Allah.

k.a.kiani

Minister (2k+ posts)
sorry to say but I am not proud of Dr. Abdu salam if he was part ahmadi religion. He understood about the complicated facts of universe but couldn't understand that Mirza Ahmad Qadiyan could not be prophet of God when Quran said that we have completed the Islam and now it is complete. I didn't have any problem if he was chritian, hindu of pakistan but I personally don't like Murtad (who became non-muslim from muslim). for me he was stupid who preferred darkness on light. how can I be proud of such a foolish person.

don't forget if Mirza Ghulam ahmed qadyan was also great islamic scholar who challenged and defeated so many scholars from other religion before claiming to be prophet. should we be proud of him as well after what he did. if your answer is no then why should I be proud of Dr Abdu salam just because he invented something.

I don't have problem who are born qadiyanis but I hate those who converted from Muslim to qadyani or ahmedi or whatever.

Believer12

this picture shows and also Multan meeting is a proof that he was also founder of Pakistan Atomic research center.

Believer12

Sorry to say, but aap agae apni aukat per, for me him as pakistani is enough to pay my regards.... dont make it sindi punjabi saraiki or muslim non muslim issue
take it normal coz if somebody belongs to some backward area than they can give reference with proud. some times this link create a very positive competition.:)

tz00007

Minister (2k+ posts)
there is one thing ppl are missing here..

he was a scientist.. he should not have given conditions of striking down the law of declaring qadiyanis as non muslim..

he sed he will not come back untill the law is abolished.. as a scientist, he shud not have sed that and continued his work.. by saying this, he created hatred for himself..

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
there is one thing ppl are missing here..

he was a scientist.. he should not have given conditions of striking down the law of declaring qadiyanis as non muslim..

he sed he will not come back untill the law is abolished.. as a scientist, he shud not have sed that and continued his work.. by saying this, he created hatred for himself..

Only Allah SWT knows if this is even true. I heard from somewhere that he would still try to come back in 1980s in order to setup a centre or lab,but Maulvis under Zia's rule never let that happen and kept on spreading rumours that he's coming here to preach his own beliefs. I even heard that based on international recognition that he received the best job he could have got in Zia's Pakistan was---------------------A Hostel Warden...how shameful!! But look at his commitment,Salam sahab remained a Pakistani citizen and didn't leave the Green Passport till his death.I don't belong to Ahmadiyya sect and so don't consider Mirza Ghulam Ahmed a Prophet,Mahdi or Mujaddid. But I don't think it gives me any right to deprive any Ahmadi of his basic human rights. I still consider Dr. Abdus Salam one of the greatest minds hailing from Pakistan and he must be appreciated and considered for his contributions. If one admires his professional and academic capabilities then it doesn't mean that he/she subscribes to Salam sahab's beliefs or sect.

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
[MENTION=14556]Internet[/MENTION] !

Could u please keep ur regional/provincial bias away on this thread? I still thank you for sharing the archives though.But dude,Bhutto sahab give in to the pressure of Mullahs and the same religious leaders would conspire against him with Zia.So he did make an error.