China Gives Drones To Pakistan: Washington Post !!

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
US%20DRONE.jpg

China is catching up to the US in developing unmanned drones and plans to sell computerised warplane machines to customers in Pakistan, the Middle East, Africa and throughout the world, according to a report in The Washington Post .
Chinese aerospace companies unveiled 25 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) during the Zhuhai air show in southern China last November, five years after the first Chinese drone flew at a demonstration.
The US stands like a giant above the rest of the world in military supremacy and is far ahead in drone technology and associated satellite and sensor technology. But more than 50 countries had either bought or begun researching surveillance drones from 2007 onwards, according to US Air Force drone expert Lt. Kendra L.B. Cook.
Richard Fisher is a senior fellow at the Washington-based International Assessment and Strategy Center and predicts that the rest of the world could start catching the US. The Chinese are catching up quickly. This is something we know for sure, Fisher told The Washington Post. We should not take comfort in some perceived lags in sensors or satellites capabilities. Those are just a matter of time.
Every major manufacturer for the Chinese military has a research center devoted to drones, Chinese analysts told the Washington Post.
In 2011, the market for drones has increased, and Chinese companies are expected to fill the demand. Global spending on drones will double to $94 billion by 2021 with the US accounting for nearly 70% of purchases, according to a 2011 market study by Virginia-based Teal Group.
Many nations have access to some surveillance UAVs, but few have drones with weapons. Nations covet US drones because they are relatively cheap and undetectable scouting weapons that could put soldiers further away from battlefield harm.
According to The Washington Post, drones can save hundreds of millions of dollars. A single F-22 fighter jet costs $150 million, while General Atomics Aeronautical Systems manufactures the high-end Predator B drone or MQ9-Reaper for $10.5 million. Ground troops can even hand-launch drones costing tens of thousands of dollars.
The Chinese Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) gets many of its high-tech aircraft from the Chengdu Aircraft Design and Research Institute, a company looking to profit from global drone demand.
Via: The Nation

faari249

Councller (250+ posts)
We should look further into the future and start developing technologies in house. We cannot progress by depending on others, no matter its USA or China. We should spend money on research and transfer of technology. It might take time but thats the way forward towards self reliance. What is the gaurentee that China will not be against our country when it becomes a super power. we should understand and safegaurd our own interest and stand on our own two feet.

rana14801

Senator (1k+ posts)
We should look further into the future and start developing technologies in house. We cannot progress by depending on others, no matter its USA or China. We should spend money on research and transfer of technology. It might take time but thats the way forward towards self reliance. What is the gaurentee that China will not be against our country when it becomes a super power. we should understand and safegaurd our own interest and stand on our own two feet.

i agree. it is very necessary to spend on research but the question is where from?if our corrupt leaders will leave the money only then nation can think to spend more on research. a day earlier i have read a post on this forum that Dr. Samar Mubarik Mand has been refused money for compressors to develop gas out of coal in the project and now Dr Sahib is searching KABAREE MARKET to find out those compressors.isn't it a pity? brother we must get rid of these corrupt leaders of all parties plus corrupt officers of beaurocrates.judiciary, armed forces and all other departments. we must have to sort out those who r against our armed forces and agencies. we have many many agents of our enemies among's us now.it is a difficult task but not impossible.May Allah help us.aameen.

rakeem

Senator (1k+ posts)

There is a Pakistani who is making drones in Pakistan long before there were drone attacks in Waziristan. His name is Raja Sabir Khan, he is an MIT alumni:

Pakistani makes drones for peaceful use but business risky

By Sahar Ahmed
KARACHI | Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44am EDT

r

(Reuters) - In Pakistan's commercial hub, a Pakistani is developing his own drone technology despite security challenges arising from the current political climate and the public anger over the U.S. use of the unmanned aircrafts.
Located in a narrow industrial lane in Karachi is the 90,000 square-foot research facility called Integrated Dynamics. There, Raja Sabri Khan, the company's chief executive, makes unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), commonly known as drones. But his are for civilian and scientific research.
But when he tells Pakistanis what he makes, the initial reaction he gets is one of shock. Pakistan is obsessed with just one kind of drone -- the Predator -- that is used by the United States to kill militants in the country's northwest.
"The usual reaction I get when I tell people I make drones is: Are you the guy who is making the drones and supplying to the Americans so that they can come back and bomb them over here?" said Khan.
The U.S. drone campaign is hugely unpopular in Pakistan, surrounded by criticism and controversy, and considered flagrant violations of sovereignty.
The United States has made a series of attacks since 2004 in Pakistan's northwest region as part of its struggle against militancy. According to the New America Foundation, which tracks drone strikes, between 1,561 and 2,461 people have been killed in 254 attacks, mainly in the country's restive tribal regions.
Pakistani officials have criticized them, saying the strikes anger the public and play into the hands of the militants. But strikes that kill high-profile militants would not be possible without Pakistani intelligence, analysts say.
"One of the major areas is the misconception people might have about drones because the media has propped up the drone as something which is a completely different animal from what I do," said Khan.
Khan's markets are primarily the government, armed forces and also foreign exports for search and rescue operations, and agricultural monitoring among others.
There are two other Pakistani drone companies, Satuma and East West Infiniti, both based in Islamabad, but they mostly service military clients. Khan's is the only one specializing in civilian applications.
Khan supplies 12 to 18 drones a year on average, along with two to three support systems. He declined to comment on his total revenue, but said a typical system for a small civilian UAV would cost around $10,000 to $15,000.
But he runs a risky business. A few years ago he had to go into hiding after receiving copies of circulated emails, which accused him of making Predator drones. His company is now spread out throughout Karachi so he cannot be targeted in one location.
CHANGING LIVES
Part of Khan's business is trying to create more awareness about civilian drones despite the security challenges.
"With the civilian and scientific application, you can change lives," he said.
But there is no government support for developing indigenous drone technology, he added.
He now works on using drones for insecticide spraying on crops, an operation that would cost less than using a conventional aircraft and could cover large areas quickly -- something that would be useful for Pakistan's agricultural-dominated economy.
Japan has been using remotely piloted helicopters for years for crop spraying.
A local non-profit organization has also asked his company for drones to help monitor the rehabilitation of devastating summer floods of 2010.
"There's a real answer in this technology to a lot of things that Pakistan can be doing in a more cost-effective manner," he said. "We need to understand that this technology is there to help, not to kill people."

rana14801

Senator (1k+ posts)
i do not wish to quote the approximate dates of Pakistan having successfully tested pilot less small air crafts much before. i can only say more than a decade before and v have that technology for some defensive purposes but as far as the attacking drones r concerned, these require much money and research. it may take some time but not impossible. to my mind i think v r capable to develop if enough funds r provided to our scientists.

qamar_zaman

Councller (250+ posts)
Congratulations and where do we use it to spy opposition parties as we have no intentons to use it on any other country what a bullshit we are begging to China for drones we have no abiliity to beg for a single air compressor to get from China that they refused to us what Dr. Sammar Mubarak was asking to give him for experimenting for Thar Coal Project that can produce low cost electric power for our needs we are devloping bombs and missiles fighting air crafts but we are not least interested in raising living standard of common person getting worse day by day

Last edited:

crankthskunk

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
In a previous thread few months back, I wrote Pakistan handed over the down drones part to China 3/4 years ago. A drone similar to Predator is doing test flights at the moment, give another year or so, it will be flying in Pakistan, Inshallah. That was the deal, my sources tell me.