Astra ballistic flight test carried out by india (Beyond-Visual-Range Air-to-Air Missile)

hans

Banned
New Delhi, May 20, India on Saturday carried out the ballistic flight test of Astra -- Beyond-Visual-Range Air-to-Air Missile -- from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Orissa state.

The missile was fired around 0950 hours, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources said, adding two more tests are likely to be conducted in the next two days.

The missile is envisaged to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in the head-on mode at a range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km.

'The main purpose of today's trial is to gauge the performance of the motor, propulsion system and the configurations of the vehicle and aero-dynamics evaluation,' pti reported quoting a DRDO scientist.

The data is being analysed by the scientists to ascertain the outcome of the trial.

The missile, after its final trials, would be integrated with fighter aircraft Su-30 MKI. Astra missiles would also be carried by MiG-29 and Light Combat Aircraft Tejas.

Astra, which uses solid propellant, can carry a conventional warhead of 15 kg. It is the smallest of the missiles developed by the DRDO in terms of size and weight.
It is 3.8-metre long and has a diameter of 178 mm with an overall launch weight of 160 kg.

The missile could be launched from different altitudes it can cover 110 km when launched from an altitude of 15 km, 44 km when fired from an altitude of eight km and 21 km when the altitude is sea-level.

DRDO officials said it is more advanced than the similar class of missiles of the US, Russia and France.

The missiles captive flight tests from Su-30MKI were carried out near Pune in November 2009 when seven sorties were conducted.
Astras first flight trial took place on May 9, 2003, from the ITR at Chandipur.

IRNA NewsCode: 30394443

messam

MPA (400+ posts)
Great News.. Motivates me more and more. Uplift my passion to design and research better on such a missile technology and design more sophisticated control system.. !!! Thank you India.. It is only because of you that this weekend I will read and understand latest research articles on the same issue and value add Pakistan in the future... Every such news add fuel to the fire of making Pakistan best country in every aspect in the world..INSHA ALLAH We will make it.. PAKISTAN ZINDA BAAD !!

GeoG

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Mole posing as Sunni Paksitani but will never respond urdu
Problem with Urdu Translation??

Messam said it right, this will only encourage us to be better than our enemies
You can't demoralize us

FaisalKh

Great News.. Motivates me more and more. Uplift my passion to design and research better on such a missile technology and design more sophisticated control system.. !!! Thank you India.. It is only because of you that this weekend I will read and understand latest research articles on the same issue and value add Pakistan in the future... Every such news add fuel to the fire of making Pakistan best country in every aspect in the world..INSHA ALLAH We will make it.. PAKISTAN ZINDA BAAD !!
:yes::yes::yes::yes:(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap):thank::d6c:(jhanda):biggthumpup:

God Bless U Brother... and May u succeed in making Pakistan and Pakistanis proud Aameen...

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

(clap)(clap)(clap)

Said it well with most + attitude

messam

MPA (400+ posts)
:yes::yes::yes::yes:(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap):thank::d6c:(jhanda):biggthumpup:

God Bless U Brother... and May u succeed in making Pakistan and Pakistanis proud Aameen...

THIS IS FOR FAYSKHAN AND GAZOOMARTIAN..
INSHA ALLAH.. We will do it together.. I swear to ALLAH the amount of love and appreciation you guys have shown had brought that "salty water drops" running down my eyes..!! we sometime call them aansoo !!!

FaisalKh

INSHA ALLAH.. We will do it together.. I swear to ALLAH the amount of love and appreciation you guys have shown had brought that "salty water drops" running down my eyes..!! we sometime call them aansoo !!!

And someday that salty water would again run down from ur eyes when u succeed in ur goal INSHAALLAH and we call that salty water "Khushi Ke Aaansoo:). Keep up the spirit....

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
Make us proud, it's just the beginning, we need to be prepared for any sort of aggression by any country. We need to make sure that our technology is always ahead of our enemy states, Only by research and hardwork can we do this and make sure no one has the balls to do PANGA with us.

LONG LIVE PAKISTAN

Imranpak

Test your toys at will! If you want war then feel free to attack us because it could be a blessing in disguise that will finally unite the cornered tigers!

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

jazakAllah khair brother.

بس یہی کہ سکتا ہوں کہ جو بات دل سے نکلتی ہے وہ اثر رکھتی ہے

یا رب یہ دعا ہے کہ کرم تو اگر کرے
وہ بات دے زباں پہ کہ دل پر اثر کرے

EniGma90

Minister (2k+ posts)
Lol. cant stop laughing after reading this article.... Guys PAF already adopted (BVRAAM) Long time ago, No need to panic... However Pak has better range in this technology.
Pakistan Air Force has inducted H-4 Beyond Visual Range missile which could strike a target from a distance of 120 km without visually citing it, evading enemy radars.
Our officials claimed that the missile was developed by the National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM), which works in close collaboration with Pakistan Missile Organisation and the Air Weapons Complex.
We had three successful tests of H-4 and produced satisfactory results leading to addition of arsenal in the fighter jets. these missiles were modified version of the South African T-Darter BVR missiles. The PAF claims to have H-2 BVR missiles which could hit targets up to 60 km.
The H-4 missiles which are an infra-red device and comparable to that of the AA11, AA12 and Python 4 missiles of the IAF are fitted on to the PAF's Mirage aircraft, F-16, and Jf-17