Another confirmation of match fixing : Sri Lanka fix matches since 1992, alleges Tillakaratne

Bilal_Mushi

Minister (2k+ posts)
Sri Lanka fix matches since 1992, alleges Tillakaratne

Updated at: 0729 PST, Friday, April 29, 2011
4-29-2011_80878_l.jpg
COLOMBO: Former Sri Lanka cricket captain Hashan Tillakaratne has made a sensational revelation that match fixing has been common in Sri Lanka's cricket and promised that he would come out with the names of the responsible persons in the near future.

Tillakaratne who led Sri Lanka in Ten Tests between 2003 and 2004 said that he could vouch with responsibility that Match fixing has been a problem in Sri Lanka's cricket since 1992.

"I can tell this in agreement with my conscience. Match fixing is not something that started happening yesterday or today. According to my knowledge, it happened since 1992. I say this with great responsibility" said Tillakaratne.

"I am not saying that this match (The world cup final) was fixed. But anyway match fixing is something which has been in this country over a period of time. This has spread like a cancer today" he explained.

"There were threats of this issue being exposed during various times. But it was pushed down by giving money to various people. If the people who were responsible for that are listening to this, I state this today with great responsibility, I will shortly reveal the names of those responsible" Tillakaratne promised when he appeared in a TV talk show.

"Why? Because there is a huge following of people who love cricket, and this is a side which they don't know about" he explained.

Former captain who said he did not imply categorically that the recent world cup final was fixed, however expressed his reservations about the selections.

http://www.geo.tv/4-29-2011/80878.htm

Last edited:

Bilal_Mushi

Minister (2k+ posts)
"There were threats of this issue being exposed during various times. But it was pushed down by giving money to various people. If the people who were responsible for that are listening to this, I state this today with great responsibility, I will shortly reveal the names of those responsible" Tillakaratne promised when he appeared in a TV talk show.

So he is saying pay me money otherwise I will expose you.

karachiwala

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I believe ICC is part of the whole scam it just does not want any one to do it on their own. The last world cup was definitely a fixed event.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
"Sri Lanka fixing Game Since 1992" Former Captain, Hasan Tillakaratne

SRI Lanka's former cricket captain Hasan Tillakaratne has claimed that his country had been fixing games since 1992.

The left-handed batsman, who played 83 Tests and 200 one-dayers for Sri Lanka during his 15-year career, said he was prepared to back up his allegations by naming some of those involved.

"Match fixing is something which has been in this country over a period of time. This has spread like a cancer today," Tillakaratne was quoted as saying by Sri Lanka's Daily Mirror newspaper on Friday.

"According to my knowledge, it happened since 1992.
"There were threats of this issue being exposed at various times. But it was pushed down by giving money to various people.
"If the people who were responsible for that are listening to this, I state this today with great responsibility, I will shortly reveal the names of those responsible," he said.

Start of sidebar.

Tillakaratne, who skippered Sri Lanka between April 2003 and March 2004, stopped short of suggesting the 2011 World Cup final was rigged, although he expressed reservations about the selection of the Sri Lankan team that was beaten by India.

There was no immediate comment from the Sri Lankan cricket board over the allegations.

Tillakaratne is now an opposition politician

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)
I absolutely and completely stopped watching cricket.

Wasted a lot of time on it, but thanks GOD i realized it now atleast.

Now that time can be spent on some other useful stuff

Bilal_Mushi

Minister (2k+ posts)
Ranatunga backs Tillakaratne's match fixing allegations

25323_41918777_RANATUNGA_L.jpg

Former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga confirmed Hashan Tillakaratne's match fixing allegations.

Ranatunga said he would "reveal more details" that is likely to substantiate Hashan Tillakaratne s match fixing allegations.

"I am planning to hold a press conference soon and will reveal more details on this," Ranatunga said after his former teammate Tillakaratne revealed that match fixing in Sri Lankan cricket was rampant since 1992.

Both Ranatunga and Tillakaratne have entered politics and belong to the opposition party.

Ranatunga, who led the islanders to a World Cup triumph in 1996, also headed the Sri Lankan cricket board in 2008.