World Cup: ICC finally responds to overthrow incident in final match

Mughal Badshah

MPA (400+ posts)
England were awarded six runs after the overthrow raced towards the boundary.

AR-190719427.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20190716132405

The International Cricket Council, the governing body of the sport, finally responded to the overthrow controversy during the final match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 between England and New Zealand.

An overthrow during England's chase had resulted in six runs coming off a delivery after the fielder threw the ball at the stumps while the batsmen were taking their second run. The ball hit one of the batsmen and went all the way to the boundary rope. The on-field umpires awarded England six runs off that delivery -- two runs that the batsmen ran between the wickets, and four overthrows.

However, according to ICC rules, only five runs should have been given and not six. The rules state that an extra run should have been given only when the batsmen had crossed each other when the fielder threw the ball. The English batsmen hadn't crossed.

Now, the ICC has responded, stating that it was against its policy to react on decisions taken by umpires.

"The umpires take decisions on the field with their interpretation of the rules and we don't comment on any decisions as a matter of policy," an ICC spokesperson was quoted as saying by foxsports.com.au.

Former five-time ICC umpire of the year and member of the MCC laws sub-committee, Simon Taufel has also since admitted the on-field officials got it wrong.

"It's a clear mistake ... it's an error of judgment," Taufel had said.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
It should be obstruction and given out, Some years back Hafeez was given out this way. In fact he was running with his back towards the fielder and had no way to see where the ball was coming from and it hit him on the back of his thigh and he was given out for obstruction.

Whole video of batsmen being given out in similar situation, save for inzi ofcourse! lol

MHAMZA

Minister (2k+ posts)
NZ team should have stuck to their guns and have the decision overturned on the field.. nothing can be done now ...

Xiggs

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Dharmasena is one of the worst umpires i have ever seen. How could they appoint such dumbasses to the final match? Fucking screwed up icc.

pkpatriot

Its Aleem Dar these days

Don't know about the long span but the matches I have seen, dharmacena is clearly the worst, he don't deserve to stand in finals.
In a match his 8 decisions were overturned on reviews including 3 in six balls against moeen Ali.
In world cup he was below par.

pkpatriot

It should have been reffered to 3rd umpire to see whether it was intentional or not.
To me it was intentional his bat was high above the ground when he got the ball. Generally it is sliding.
Even if it wasn't out then 5 runs would have been rewarded and Rashid would have on strike.
Anyways..hardluck NZ .

asifA1

Minister (2k+ posts)
England are following in the footsteps of India win by hook or crook to falsification of distorted facts.

karachiwala

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Don't know about the long span but the matches I have seen, dharmacena is clearly the worst, he don't deserve to stand in finals.
In a match his 8 decisions were overturned on reviews including 3 in six balls against moeen Ali.
In world cup he was below par.
I agree I have not seen poorer umpiring in a world class match. I believe Dharmasena was given the match only because of Jason Roy's outburst against him in Semi Finals. his performance in that match also left a bad taste in mouth