We Had Enough Of War, It's Negotiation Time - US Commander

Nawazish

Minister (2k+ posts)
US general signals Taliban talks
Nato's top commander in Afghanistan has said increased troop levels could bring a negotiated peace with the Taliban.

US Gen Stanley McChrystal told the UK's Financial Times newspaper that there had been "enough fighting".

He said a political solution in all conflicts was "inevitable". His remarks came as the top UN envoy in Kabul said it was time to talk to the militants.

Afghan and Pakistani leaders are in Turkey to discuss tackling the Taliban-led insurgency in their countries.

This is the fourth such meeting initiated by Turkey, which has offered to broker talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban.

Both Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his Pakistani counterpart, Asif Ali Zardari, will attend an international conference on Afghanistan in London on Thursday.
'Focus on the future'

"I'd like everybody to walk out of London with a renewed commitment, and that commitment is to the right outcome for the Afghan people," Gen McChrystal told the Financial Times.

It's impossible to paint the Taliban all with one brush... [the rank and file] don't want to pay the price for al-Qaeda's extremism for ever

Gen Stanley McChrystal, Nato commander in Afghanistan
He said the arrival of the extra 30,000 US troops pledged by President Obama and the additional 7,000 troops promised by other Nato countries should deliver "very demonstrably positive" progress in 2010.
But he warned that the level of Taliban violence could increase sharply this year.
The Taliban wanted to create the perception that Afghanistan was on fire, and that President Karzai and his Western allies could not cope, Gen McChrystal said.
However, if the new US-led strategy was successful, the militants "could look desperate" in a year's time, he said.

"I think they will look like an entity that will be struggling for its own legitimacy... I think they will be on the defensive militarily, not wiped out."

On the issue of reconciliation, Gen McChrystal said: "I believe that a political solution to all conflicts is the inevitable outcome. And it's the right outcome."

Asked if he thought senior Taliban could have a role in a future Afghan government, he said: "I think any Afghans can play a role if they focus on the future, and not the past.
"As a soldier, my personal feeling is that there's been enough fighting," Gen McChrystal added.

'Time has come'

In an interview with the New York Times, United Nations special representative Kai Eide called for some senior Taliban leaders to be removed from a UN list of terrorists, as a prelude to direct talks.

"If you want relevant results, then you have to talk to the relevant person in authority," Mr Eide said. "I think the time has come to do it."
President Karzai recently told the BBC that he planned to introduce a scheme to attract Taliban fighters back to normal life by offering money and jobs.
He said he would offer to pay and resettle Taliban fighters to come over to his side.
Mr Karzai said he hoped to win backing for his plan from the US and UK at the London conference.

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8478076.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sshahid

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Re: US General Signals Taliban Talks - BBC Reports

what if Taliban rejects the offer saying "no negotiations with the terrorists" ?

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

I am so shocked!!! I suggested to StateDept's Fawad only few hours ago that the US should leave Afhg/Pak. I guess it worked. Thank you Fawad. I didnt know I was that good. [clap]
Ya rub yeh du'a key karam tu agar karey
woh baat dey zuban per key dil per asar karey

Ameen

But lets not get too overly excited. Something big star folks say things with some purpose in the back of their mind..... wait n see

Abdali

Senator (1k+ posts)

what if Taliban rejects the offer saying "no negotiations with the terrorists" ?Agreed

No negotiations with rapist terrorist christian jewish crusading army of SATAN.

Crimes of this criminal zionist run empire..

Number Of muslim Iraqis Slaughtered In US War And Occupation Of Iraq "1,366,350"

Second empire is being defeated by the great muslim mujahids of Khorrasan..
Doctors accuse Lord Hutton of concealing vital information
The body of former United Nations weapons inspector Dr Kelly was found in July 2003 in woods close to his Oxfordshire home, shortly after he was exposed as the source of a BBC news report questioning the Governments claims that Saddam Hussein had an arsenal of weapons of mass destruction, which could be deployed within 45 minutes.

CIA MOSSAD Operation for this zionist crusade for OIL.
The militarization of Christianity and all terrorism committed in the name of God must be challenged in a world desperate for Christians who actually follow what Jesus was all about.

Jew control Media..says..
Fifty-three percent of respondents said their view of Islam was "not too favorable" or "not favorable at all," according to a 32-page "Religious Perceptions in America" report.Nagasaki and hiroshima..

Lies and fraud..Watch the U.S. media and its coverage of the crisis in Haiti, and you get the impression that Washington is a benevolent power doing its utmost to help with emergency relief in the Caribbean island nation. But tune into al-Jazeera English or South American news network Telesur and you come away with a very different view.
Five US soldiers have been killed in bombings over the past 24 hours in Afghanistan, Natos International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said Sunday. Two of the troopers were killed in a home-made bomb explosion in the south, where the insurgency is most intense, the force said in a statement

DR MEHMOODZAI

Councller (250+ posts)
We did Enough WAR",now Dialogue Time(Mc.Crystel US Commonder

1100836739-1.gif

A

Admin

Imran Khan had met many of US think tanks on his visits. This could be the reason, they are going ahead with this?

gazoomartian

sshahid said:
what if Taliban rejects the offer saying "no negotiations with the terrorists" ?

[hilar] [hilar] bahut khoob, wallah maza agya LOL

gazoomartian

Nawazish said:
US general signals Taliban talks
Nato's top commander in Afghanistan has said increased troop levels could bring a negotiated peace with the Taliban.

He means: look we got another 37000 soldier. You better end the war. This is actaully carrot n stick. he is definitley not serious about 'talk'

US Gen Stanley McChrystal told the UK's Financial Times newspaper that there had been "enough fighting".

Gen McC never said about his side had enough war. What he meant was to the taliban/alqaida etc. Look you have enough fightings. Stop it or face extra 37,000 troops. These people are pretty smart cookies

He said a political solution in all conflicts was "inevitable". His remarks came as the top UN envoy in Kabul said it was time to talk to the militants.

I seriously doubt any sincerity here.

Afghan and Pakistani leaders are in Turkey to discuss tackling the Taliban-led insurgency in their countries.

Zardari has dimentia. Will he represent Pak well also will he remember what they decided.

This is the fourth such meeting initiated by Turkey, which has offered to broker talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban.

Both Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his Pakistani counterpart, Asif Ali Zardari, will attend an international conference on Afghanistan in London on Thursday.
'Focus on the future'

Thats is so amazing, they came and destroyed and now conference.

"I'd like everybody to walk out of London with a renewed commitment, and that commitment is to the right outcome for the Afghan people," Gen McChrystal told the Financial Times.

It simply means when 37000 soldiers take actions, other people better stand by the coalition

It's impossible to paint the Taliban all with one brush... [the rank and file] don't want to pay the price for al-Qaeda's extremism for ever

Gen Stanley McChrystal, Nato commander in Afghanistan
He said the arrival of the extra 30,000 US troops pledged by President Obama and the additional 7,000 troops promised by other Nato countries should deliver "very demonstrably positive" progress in 2010.

no kidding eh?

But he warned that the level of Taliban violence could increase sharply this year.

He is preparing the coalition for more attacks by 37000 troops.

The Taliban wanted to create the perception that Afghanistan was on fire, and that President Karzai and his Western allies could not cope, Gen McChrystal said.
However, if the new US-led strategy was successful, the militants "could look desperate" in a year's time, he said.

And how they gonna look desperate in a year time, because to talking or thru increased bombing by new troops. Make your own judgement.

"I think they will look like an entity that will be struggling for its own legitimacy... I think they will be on the defensive militarily, not wiped out."

I guess we have to wait and see

On the issue of reconciliation, Gen McChrystal said: "I believe that a political solution to all conflicts is the inevitable outcome. And it's the right outcome."

Asked if he thought senior Taliban could have a role in a future Afghan government, he said: "I think any Afghans can play a role if they focus on the future, and not the past.
"As a soldier, my personal feeling is that there's been enough fighting," Gen McChrystal added.

'Time has come'

In an interview with the New York Times, United Nations special representative Kai Eide called for some senior Taliban leaders to be removed from a UN list of terrorists, as a prelude to direct talks.

is US suffering from fatigue from this adventurism?

"If you want relevant results, then you have to talk to the relevant person in authority," Mr Eide said. "I think the time has come to do it."
President Karzai recently told the BBC that he planned to introduce a scheme to attract Taliban fighters back to normal life by offering money and jobs.
He said he would offer to pay and resettle Taliban fighters to come over to his side.
Mr Karzai said he hoped to win backing for his plan from the US and UK at the London conference.

And once they are IN, they will be greeted with handcuff or secret bullets. Thats what happened in movie The Outlaw Josey Wales.

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8478076.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the other hand:

1. May be Allah has given the General a light to see that this is not the right reason for war. But only MAY BE

2. They are trying to drive a wedge between taliban and alqaida

3. OR may be US doesnt want to be left out of the action since Karzai has announced that he wants to talk. So cleverly US has taken over this possiblity of talks between the two warring factions. If these talks are successful and al-qaida is left alone or disintegrated, Obama will take the credit which really should go to Karzai

4. OR they forsee Zardari gone and new election on the radar. Imran Khan is interested talking to Talibans to bring about peace in the region. Again, US wants to reserve a seat with Imran Khan for future. Take the credit from IK and Obama will shine his badge and by that time Us will have elections also or at least the primary will have started.

Politics is an ugly state of a country. Hell with it. I am goin to make mahself a cup-o-tea. Anybody wants to join me???? :mrgreen:

G

US Commander is stupid
dosen't he know
laato k bhoot baato se nahi mantey
[/b]

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
This was said repeatedly that war isn't the solution, US has lost almost 1000 soilders and hundred of thousands have died. US policy makers should be turned and smacked on their bums for creating a havoc in the world

Fawad Digital Outreach Team US State Department

?????? ????? ?? ????? ?? ???? ?????? ??? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??? ??? ???? ?? ????? ???? ?? ?? ???? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ??? ????? ?? ???? ?? ?? ?? ???? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ??? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?? ????? ??? ????????? ??? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ??? ??????? ?? ??? ?? ??? ?????? ?? ??? ?? ????? ??? ?? ?? ?? ????? ???? ?????? ?? ?? ???

?????? ???? ?? ?? ?? ??? ??? ?? ???? ???? ?????? ?? ???? ???? ???? ?? ????? ?? ????? ?????? ??? ?? ?? ????? ?? ????? ???? ??????

????????? ??? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ?? ???? ??????? ??? ???? ??????? ?? ?? ????? ????? ??? ??? ?? ????? ??? ??? ??? ???? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ??????? ?? ??? ???? ????? ??? ??? ?????? ????? ?? ????? ????? ??? ???? ???? ????? ??? ????? ?? ?? ???? ???? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ?????????? ???? ??? ??????? ??? ????? ???? ?????? ?? ??? ????? ???

???? ?? ?? ????? ??? ????? ?? ?? ?????? ????? ?? ???? ?? ???????? ?????? ?? ??????? ??? ??? ???? ???? ????????? ??? ??????? ?? ??????? ?? ???? ?? ??????? ??? ?? ??? ??? ???????? ????? ???? ?? ???? ??? ??? ?? ??? ?? ???????? ?? ????? ???? ????

???? ??????? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ????? ????? ??? ???? ???? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ?? ????? ???? ??? ??? ???? ?? ?? ???? ?? ???? ??? ??

"???? 70 ???? ????? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ??????? ?? ??? ??? ?????? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?? ?? ?? ????? ??? ?? ???????? ?? ????? ??? ???? ??? ???? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ????? ?? ????????? ??? ??????? ?? ????? ?? ????? ?? ????? ?????? ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ??? ??????? ????? ???? ?? ?? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ????? ????? ??? ???? ?? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ??????? ??? ??? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ???? ????? ??? ??? ??? ????? ?????? ????? ?? ????????? ??? ??????? ?? ????? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???? ???? ??? ?? ??? ?? ??? ?? ????? ?????? ?????? ?? ??? ?? ???? ???? ??? ?? ???? ???? ?? ?? ????? ?????? ?? ????? ??????? ??? ???? ?? ?????? ?? ??????? ?? ????? ???? ?? ????? ?? ???? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????? ????
"
??? ?? ??? ???? ?? ??? ?? ???? ??????? ?? ??????? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????? ?? ??????? ????? ??????? ??? ??? ??? ???? ??? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ??????? ?????? ?? ????? ???

?????? ????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ??? ???? ????? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?? ????? ??? ??? ???????? ??? ????? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ???? ?? ??? ???? ????? ??????? ?? ???? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ???? ??? ?? ???? ??? ???? ?? ????? ??? ?????

???? ?????? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ????? ??????????
[email protected]
http://www.state.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazoomartian

pappufromindia said:
US Commander is stupid
dosen't he know
[/b]

pappu beta saheeh kaha tu ney,

yehan a' mein tujhey laat marta hoon [hilar]

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
1. I sincerely hope that US and NATO should not negotiate with Taliban and continue fighting them.

2. Also, they should expand the war inside Pakistan. US ground troops should operate in North Waziristan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is another way of interpreting this: (This is my personal opinion)
a) Maybe the US knows that Taliban will never negotiate, and hence when the offer of talks is rejected, then US can sell the war to its citizens...???

b) Or, if Taliban is ready to negotiate, then US casualties will go down and also Taliban will become a part of the government, i.e., will be responsible.
Suppose the Taliban gets a certain ministry, and they are not able to do a good job, then the Afghans will not look at them as an alternative...???

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
I sincerely hope that US and NATO should not negotiate with Taliban and continue fighting them

--Someone needs to use brains [funnny] guess they rightly opted leaving you behind :cry:

Also, they should expand the war inside Pakistan. US ground troops should operate in North Waziristan.

---Your fantasies will remain and will further deteriorate [hilar]

Or, if Taliban is ready to negotiate, then US casualties will go down and also Taliban will become a part of the government, i.e., will be responsible

-- :shock: You mean poor occupying forces are forced to kneel down coz of their casualties or the picture is much more bigger than that :)

G

gazoomartian said:
pappufromindia said:
US Commander is stupid
dosen't he know
[/b]

what do u mean gazzu uncle .m i bhoot
bachey ki jaan loge kya [hilar]

gazoomartian

pappufromindia said:
gazoomartian said:
pappufromindia said:
US Commander is stupid
dosen't he know
[/b]

what do u mean gazzu uncle .m i bhoot
bachey ki jaan loge kya [hilar]

naheeh beta, tumhari jaan kaisey le sakta hoon? tum to hamarey pyarey ho [clap]

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)
America to Pakistan - "there is no such thing as good taleban, you cannot differentiate between them"

now they want peace talks with good and bad, hypocrites.

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)
the game is turning again.. with Pakistans insistence on being involved and the fact that the US have asked the Indians to play a bigger role with perhaps Indian troops replacing some NATO forces after 2011, the US is looking for a way out..as Pakistan has said only a negotiated peace can work,, one which includes the Taliban and helps secure our western border..

they have failed to destabilise Pakistan via the TTP, and with the shooting down of a drone yesterday and the militarys insistance that a major assualt in north waziristan is unlikley until 2011 at best, the US is running out of time..peace talks are the only way..!