We are united; dont blame Misbah

amigos

Voter (50+ posts)
http://www.dawn.com/2011/04/01/‘we-are-united-don’t-blame-misbah’.html

KARACHI: The Pakistan cricket team was accorded a warm welcome by its fans as they returned home early Friday.

After returning to heroes welcome, captain Shahid Afridi said he wanted to thank the nation for giving the team unwavering support during the World Cup 2011.

Afridi, Younis Khan and Asad Shafiq touched down in Karachi, while the rest of the players and officials flew to Lahore where the Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman were present to welcome them.

The team left Mumbai late Thursday, and arrived in Karachi in the early hours of Friday via Dubai.

Despite losing to arch-rivals India in the semi-finals, Afridi was greeted at the airport by a large number of hollering fans who chanted Boom Boom Afridi we love you and cries of Pakistan team has done us proud, and waved the Pakistani flag.

However, after all their exploits in the tournament, Afridi wanted a break.

Batting needs improvement
To lose the semi-final was disappointing but I think now the time has come for senior players to be rested and new players to be tried out, he said.

With two Pakistani bowlers in tournaments highest wicket takers list, and Afridi as the leading wicket taker so far, the all-rounder praised his teams bowlers but said the batting needed improvement. He underlined the need of a batting coach for the team, none of whose batsmen feature in the top ten run-getters list despite reaching the semi-finals.

However, Afridi refused to blame Misbah-ul-Haq, who came under heavy criticism from all quarters, for the 29-run loss.

Misbah wanted to take the game closer to the end and then go for the big shots, which wasnt a wrong strategy, the captain said of his deputy.

United we fall
Members of the Pakistan squad, according to the captain, remains very supportive of each other and the defeat did not damage the unity.

The great support shown by the nation has really held us together after the loss, Afridi told reporters.

Interior ministers statement mistimed
Afridi said he was disappointed to hear Interior Minister Rehman Maliks statement on match-fixing, which was mistimed and appropriate given the pressure the team was under.

The interior minister called me a few times before the match and I ensured him that the team is wholly committed to the cause of winning.

Lahori love
Emotional scenes were also witnessed at Lahore airport where dozens of fans mobbed the players while others danced around.

The team has done the nation proud by defeating stronger rivals to reach this semi-final. I hope they continue to perform like this and bring more laurels for the country, Sharif said.

He announced a grand reception for the players on April 5 to celebrate their performance in the World Cup.

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
http://www.dawn.com/2011/04/01/‘we-are-united-don’t-blame-misbah’.html

KARACHI: The Pakistan cricket team was accorded a warm welcome by its fans as they returned home early Friday.

After returning to heroes welcome, captain Shahid Afridi said he wanted to thank the nation for giving the team unwavering support during the World Cup 2011.

Afridi, Younis Khan and Asad Shafiq touched down in Karachi, while the rest of the players and officials flew to Lahore where the Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman were present to welcome them.

The team left Mumbai late Thursday, and arrived in Karachi in the early hours of Friday via Dubai.

Despite losing to arch-rivals India in the semi-finals, Afridi was greeted at the airport by a large number of hollering fans who chanted Boom Boom Afridi we love you and cries of Pakistan team has done us proud, and waved the Pakistani flag.

However, after all their exploits in the tournament, Afridi wanted a break.

Batting needs improvement
To lose the semi-final was disappointing but I think now the time has come for senior players to be rested and new players to be tried out, he said.

With two Pakistani bowlers in tournaments highest wicket takers list, and Afridi as the leading wicket taker so far, the all-rounder praised his teams bowlers but said the batting needed improvement. He underlined the need of a batting coach for the team, none of whose batsmen feature in the top ten run-getters list despite reaching the semi-finals.

However, Afridi refused to blame Misbah-ul-Haq, who came under heavy criticism from all quarters, for the 29-run loss.

Misbah wanted to take the game closer to the end and then go for the big shots, which wasnt a wrong strategy, the captain said of his deputy.

United we fall
Members of the Pakistan squad, according to the captain, remains very supportive of each other and the defeat did not damage the unity.

The great support shown by the nation has really held us together after the loss, Afridi told reporters.

Interior ministers statement mistimed
Afridi said he was disappointed to hear Interior Minister Rehman Maliks statement on match-fixing, which was mistimed and appropriate given the pressure the team was under.

The team has done the nation proud by defeating stronger rivals to reach this semi-final. I hope they continue to perform like this and bring more laurels for the country, Sharif said.

We love our team and support them all the way,BUT this does not me4an that we should not point out the mistakes correction of which could take them to higher levels. They are such a talented lot of young men and deserve a stronger more professional chance to be at the pinnacle of glory.
Lets discuss it and not accuse any one.

umarriaz

MPA (400+ posts)
What Younas Khan did in the whole tournament? When did he played a match winning inning for Pakistan?
When did Kamran Akmal not dropped a catch in a crucial match?
When did Abdul Razzaq bowled more than 4 overs in a match or scored more than 20 runs in a match?

Why these 3 are in the team? Misbah is still better than these 3.

mush_pride

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
YOUNIS KHAN IS THE WORST. HE SHOULD BE KICKED OUT RIGHT AWAY!:angry_smile:
What Younas Khan did in the whole tournament? When did he played a match winning inning for Pakistan?
When did Kamran Akmal not dropped a catch in a crucial match?
When did Abdul Razzaq bowled more than 4 overs in a match or scored more than 20 runs in a match?

Why these 3 are in the team? Misbah is still better than these 3.

karachiwala

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

I beg to disagree. I would point to Kamran Akmal as being the worst culprit of the whole tournament. They need to get a new wicket keeper and there are no ifs and buts about it. It also seems taht he also running a group within the team which should be grounds for immediate chucking!

A.Ali.T

Minister (2k+ posts)

No one should be kicked out, they should be retired gracefully. I think they have served and entertained us enough, and we have compensated them very lavishly. Now the time has come for them to step aside and make room for new comers.

umarriaz

MPA (400+ posts)

No doubt Younis Khan is the worst player in the whole tournament. He was responsible for our lose against NZ in Champion trophy. He scored a duck in WC2007 match against Ireland. I don't know how he quietly avoid backlash every time. He don't deserve a place even in team like Kenya or Canada.

sahiL

Senator (1k+ posts)
younis khan has served the country gr8ly....always brought pride to the side....no allegations....no satta.....didn,t find any alternative ways to make bucks.....
but i think he should retire from odi's and t20's.....but continue playing test cricket for another 2/3 years

fido82

Senator (1k+ posts)
Esi unity ka kia faida jis main zilat hoti hy. Nikal bahir karoo en bhuddon ko Yunis, Misbaha Razaq and K. Akmal, ye one day match ky kabil ni hain. bagairat ky bachy.

fido82

Senator (1k+ posts)
No doubt Younis Khan is the worst player in the whole tournament. He was responsible for our lose against NZ in Champion trophy. He scored a duck in WC2007 match against Ireland. I don't know how he quietly avoid backlash every time. He don't deserve a place even in team like Kenya or Canada.

Yonis Khan is the only player in the history of T20 world cup who played 2 madden over. We lost the final in T20. ******

tiger54

MPA (400+ posts)
LOL i cldnt stop laughing at the comment. and i agree with people here who say younus khan should reture.
a player who cant ball, batt or field is a burden on the team. so we actually played with 10 players not 11!!
Yonis Khan is the only player in the history of T20 world cup who played 2 madden over. We lost the final in T20. ******

fido82

Senator (1k+ posts)
If two lazy batsman Yonis Khan and Mishabha it means Pakistan is not playing for 50 overs. Pakistan is playing with 40 overs because these two lazy turtal play 5 over Madden each to just set in on the pitch. Get these two bloody out of our team. Whoever selected them are the worst cricketer in Pakistan.

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Esi unity ka kia faida jis main zilat hoti hy. Nikal bahir karoo en bhuddon ko Yunis, Misbaha Razaq and K. Akmal, ye one day match ky kabil ni hain. bagairat ky bachy.

You can say what ever you want to say but atleast keep your choice of words within the decent norms and it goes for all the members who seem to be more upset than the rest of the Pakistanis, every one is sad remember that.
Hazrat Mohammad (SAWW) said, "Those who do not respect the elders and those who do not show shafkat to the young one's ,are not from among us."
Please do not use derrogatory language for any one for then you invite similarly inclined rebuttle from others.