ThePashto.com: An English-Pashto online dictionary

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
463246-thepashto-1352459153-865-640x480.JPG

Heres a treat for all those you have been yearning to learn the Pashto language:ThePashto.com, an online dictionary which helps you translate from Pashto to English and English to Pashto.

According to a report by ProPakistani, the dictionary currently has more than 15,000 words along with grammatical descriptions of the words, and has the option of users registering themselves to help add more words. When typing a word in the search bar, a dropbox appears giving suggestions of words closer to the one you are typing.

After translating a word from Pashto to English, a bar appears at the bottom giving more similar words to search for. On clicking a word in Pashto after the translation is done, it presents users with more meanings of the word.

The website is lightweight and quick to use, and does not require users to download the Pashto font as it uses a phonetic keyboard.

What the website can possible add is pronunciations of the words as well as their use in sentences and a virtual keyboard that can assist in typing Pashto words.

Source

IhsanIlahi

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
[MENTION=10307]Geek[/MENTION] rora ,,, rata khkari tol siasat.pk membraan pukhtana di,,, staso rata om nan pata olagi da,,,, zaka kho PTI 95% popular dy siasat.pk banday

nice site by the way,,,, it would help css aspirants with pustho as subject

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
yar ye "laka laka poi poi" ka mutlab kia hota hai, English-Pashto online dictionary main ye availabe nahi hai.

GreenMaple

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Can anyone recommend an easy-read book to learn Pushto, preferably in Pushto-English dialog? Thanks

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
Mansoor Khan;1129897[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]laka poi shwi means yeni [/COLOR]samajh gaye ap or jaise samajh gaye ap? is ka mutlab kia hai.

nahi smajha asan lafzoun mainn smajhou kafi logoun se ye lafz suney hain. gali hai kia?

Mansoor Khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
nahi smajha asan lafzoun mainn smajhou kafi logoun se ye lafz suney hain. gali hai kia?

mei ne matlab batadia ab gali ka andaza ap khud lagale. by the way ye halaka poi shwi hoga jis ke mani hai ladke ap samaj gayi?
halaka poi shwi means guy did you get me. aur ye gali nahin hai a normal sentence or a normal question

Azizan

MPA (400+ posts)
Halaka means Larkey ya Aey Larkey...

Laka means Jaisey...

Poi means Samaj/Samaj Gaye...

BTW Thanks for Sharing, Dera Merabani

Last edited:

Azizan

MPA (400+ posts)
Can anyone recommend an easy-read book to learn Pushto, preferably in Pushto-English dialog? Thanks

http://www.khyberwatch.com/forums/s...ediate-advanced-Levels-Pashto-Language-Course

Read the above thread from khyberwatch.com it will help you a lot in Learning Pashto. Here is the first Lesson.

LESSON NO. 1
http://www.afghanistans.com/Alphabet.html
GRAMMAR ; pronoun

I .......................ZA. WE.....................MONG/J. YOU.SINGULAR....TA

YOU PLURAL........TASO.HE/SHE...............HAGHA.THEY..................HAGH OI

VOCABULARY.ZA HALAK/ZANKAY YAM....... I AM A BOY.

HALAK/ZANKAY..................BOY.

YAM............................. AM

communication.

how are you?............... sanga ye? / saranga ye ?

I m fine ......................... za kha/sha yam

GENERAL

there are two main dialects in pashto language.

hard dialect.......... spoken in areas like peshawar, mardan, swat, malakand, dir, kohat, paracinar, jalalabad, bajawar, mohmand, khyber,etc mainly in northern part of pashto speaking areas.here the pure pashto words are prounced as kh and g not sh and j if the word comprises the sound. as the word for fine is prounced here as kha not sha. the word for beard is prounced as gira not jira. from the pure pushtu words i mean not words borrowed from other languages .for example. the word khalis is prounced in both the dialects the same as it is not a pure pashto word. and such words are written with arabic khe not pashto khin

soft dialect......... spoken in SOUTHERN areas like banu, karak, waziristan, baluchistan, qandahar, paktya etc. here the above sounds are prounced as sh and g . fine is sha here and beard is jira here.

I will try for your orientation of both the dialects or accents.THERE IS NOTHING TO DO SPECIAL .often the symbol/ denotes the difference of dialects. however it is not necessary to learn both the dialects as both are easily mutually intelligible. accents of qandahar and peshawar or mardan are the strandard accents throug out the world.

remember that both the dialects are written in the same script . thats why you see special pashto letters for khe and ge..

GreenMaple

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
http://www.khyberwatch.com/forums/s...ediate-advanced-Levels-Pashto-Language-Course

Read the above thread from khyberwatch.com it will help you a lot in Learning Pashto. Here is the first Lesson.

LESSON NO. 1
http://www.afghanistans.com/Alphabet.html
GRAMMAR ; pronoun

I .......................ZA. WE.....................MONG/J. YOU.SINGULAR....TA

YOU PLURAL........TASO.HE/SHE...............HAGHA.THEY..................HAGH OI

VOCABULARY.ZA HALAK/ZANKAY YAM....... I AM A BOY.

HALAK/ZANKAY..................BOY.

YAM............................. AM

communication.

how are you?............... sanga ye? / saranga ye ?

I m fine ......................... za kha/sha yam

GENERAL

there are two main dialects in pashto language.

hard dialect.......... spoken in areas like peshawar, mardan, swat, malakand, dir, kohat, paracinar, jalalabad, bajawar, mohmand, khyber,etc mainly in northern part of pashto speaking areas.here the pure pashto words are prounced as kh and g not sh and j if the word comprises the sound. as the word for fine is prounced here as kha not sha. the word for beard is prounced as gira not jira. from the pure pushtu words i mean not words borrowed from other languages .for example. the word khalis is prounced in both the dialects the same as it is not a pure pashto word. and such words are written with arabic khe not pashto khin

soft dialect......... spoken in SOUTHERN areas like banu, karak, waziristan, baluchistan, qandahar, paktya etc. here the above sounds are prounced as sh and g . fine is sha here and beard is jira here.

I will try for your orientation of both the dialects or accents.THERE IS NOTHING TO DO SPECIAL .often the symbol/ denotes the difference of dialects. however it is not necessary to learn both the dialects as both are easily mutually intelligible. accents of qandahar and peshawar or mardan are the strandard accents throug out the world.

remember that both the dialects are written in the same script . thats why you see special pashto letters for khe and ge..

Thank you dear friend for the information, and for your time to write some explanatory notes. Much appreciated.

Baazz

Senator (1k+ posts)
waw gi was ,,,hurn main wi pashtoch gal bad keran ga.;)

i always think about regional languages taught in all over pakistan..will make a difference in bringing people together..
would love to see a pashtoon speaking saraiki, sindi speaking punjabi and punjabi speaking balochi...and so on

littlemaster

Minister (2k+ posts)
i always think about regional languages taught in all over pakistan..will make a difference in bringing people together..
would love to see a pashtoon speaking saraiki, sindi speaking punjabi and punjabi speaking balochi...and so on
\

zo pakhto hum wali shum,urdu bhi bol sakta hon,banjabi vi bol sakdan wan,saraki bhi bol landa wan,english but with some limitation.:)
trust me its fun to by multilingual.