Take my gun and deliver it to General Sahib

mohib

Senator (1k+ posts)
Story of a brave FC soldier who died fighting in Swat

By Rahimullah Yusufzai

PESHAWAR: "I am dying, take my gun and deliver it to General sahib," were the last words of Sepoy Gul Farosh as he lay critically injured near Manglawar village in Swat on October 28, 2007.

His surviving colleagues from the Frontier Corps conveyed his words and delivered his gun to their officers. Maj General Mohammad Alam Khattak, Inspector General of the Frontier Corps, was subsequently informed about Sepoy Gul Farosh's dying words. In his meetings with FC soldiers and visitors, the general often mentions the brave Jawan as someone who fought till the end and didn't lose control of his gun even after being fatally wounded.

There was a background as to why Gul Farosh uttered those memorable last words. He had heard Maj General Alam Khattak, himself a Pashtun from Nowshera, telling a darbar, or soldiers meeting, that losing one's gun amounted to abandoning ones wife. There cannot be a greater insult to a Pashtun than to lose his wife. And it is common to hear the Pashtuns telling each other that abandoning one's gun was just as dishonourable as losing a wife.

Gul Farosh, a typical Pashto name meaning flower seller, later succumbed to his injuries. It took time to retrieve his body and transport it to his village, Shamozai, in Mardan district for burial. Three days after his death, the young bearded soldier was buried in his ancestral graveyard.

His death shocked his old father, Dervesh Khan. The tragedy made him ill and one could see that life was slowly ebbing away from this frail and poor farmer. He had spent almost all his life tilling other people's land as tenant and fetching firewood from the mountains to sell to villagers. Like his name, he was a Dervesh in the real life. Simple and honest, he couldn't even properly count the currency notes. And even though he was desperately poor, Dervesh Khan always carried sweets in his pocket to give to children. One does come across sweet persons in life and he definitely was amongst them.

About two and a half months after Gul Farosh's death, Dervesh Khan quietly bid farewell to the world. On January 10, 2008 he was buried close to the grave of his dear son. It was a double tragedy, which deprived the family of its breadwinners.

Gul Farosh's mother and wife would have coped better with the grief of his death if he had children. The couple remained issueless during the seven years of marriage. In August 2007, Gul Farosh was injured in action in Thall. But he recovered and continued to serve the FC with distinction. He had also qualified an anti-terrorism course at the FC training centre at Mir Ali in North Waziristan.

After his recruitment in FC Khyber Rifles wing on April 1, 1997, he served at a number of places, including Ali Masjid in Khyber Agency, Ghallanai in Mohmand Agency, Thall, Regi Lalma, Peshawar and Torkham. He also took part in rescue and rehabilitation activities for the earthquake-affected communities at Battagram in Hazara. That was the kind of work in which the deeply religious and kind-hearted Gul Farosh found satisfaction.

http://thenews.jang.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=13404

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
I salute this brave soilder and his family. Why are we fighting, why are we killing our own people/losing our brave soilders, this isn't our war, let US sort out its own mess.

YAHYA87

Senator (1k+ posts)
Remind me of a movie name Saving Private Rayan after reading this...where 3 brothers from one family were accidentally sent to WW2 in France by USA...According to their Military law at least one person serving Military in a Family should stay home if other person from same house is also serving military....Any ways Pashtun Soldiers have done awesome job for Pakistan Army...

Last edited:

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
subhanaAllah

jisko shahadat milti uske munh sey akhri waqt mein yehi alfaz nikaltey hain

Alhamdulillah koi to pyar karta hay is mulk sey. cabinet sey to tawaqo hi bekar hai

sarbakaf

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Majors up to Generals had only "STICK" which they move and keep it in their 'ARM'. Is it NOT "ENOUGH?"

bajwa yar .....aaween he na yabli mara karo .....
go in any army unit and see how many majors have sticks and how many have guns, go to border and see go to siachan and see go to northern area and see....
maloom kuch hota nahi and comments daitay hain kay they keep a stick under their arms....

o bhai ...bravery of a soldier is thanks to his leader i.e platoon commander , company commander , unit commander etc....

look at the wars of indo pak , look at casualties of war of terror and then seee if your words are right or not

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
bajwa yar .....aaween he na yabli mara karo .....
go in any army unit and see how many majors have sticks and how many have guns, go to border and see go to siachan and see go to northern area and see....
maloom kuch hota nahi and comments daitay hain kay they keep a stick under their arms....

o bhai ...bravery of a soldier is thanks to his leader i.e platoon commander , company commander , unit commander etc....

look at the wars of indo pak , look at casualties of war of terror and then seee if your words are right or not

WHO-is-WHO
I fought 1970 WAR while 47th Long course was turned as 1st "Special".HOWZZAT!Gen.A.A.K.Niazi (TIGER) handed over his pistol/revolver to Gen. Arora at the advent of surrender ceremony on the fall of DHAKA in presence of World Press/TV Photographers. More than 93,000 “Prisoners of War” were also having “Weapons”. Where those gone later 'Bhai Sarbakaf?' I reaspect & admire PAK-ARMY up to NCO's rank!

Last edited:

sarbakaf

Siasat.pk - Blogger
WHO-is-WHO
I fought 1970 WAR while 47th Long course was turned as 1st "Special".HOWZZAT!Gen.A.A.K.Niazi (TIGER) handed over his pistol/revolver to Gen. Arora at the advent of surrender ceremony on the fall of DHAKA in presence of World Press/TV Photographers. More than 93,000 “Prisoners of War” were also having “Weapons”. Where those gone later 'Bhai Sarbakaf?' I reaspect & admire PAK-ARMY up to NCO's rank!

sorry ....that means ur knowledge of army is just up to NCO level....
secondly ...1971 defeat .......go and read history and how political mistakes influenced that defeat , secondly 93000 POWs how many were army men.
IF you get a chance go read book by Col Irshad of Bangladesh army ..about 1971 you may get a better idea about that defeat.

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
Col Irshad of Bangladesh army ..about 1971 you may get a better idea about that defeat.
.................................................................................................................................
Sunny how old were you then in 1970? Respect NCO's. They are real soldiers whom WE all are Proud of. My colleagues were Core Commanders in Musharraf period and senior to present Army Chief. No mockery!
Maturity in men comes after 40’s and attained “Knowledge” is “POWER”. Recipients of Nishan-E-Haider include, NCO’s “Lalik-JAN” & Sawar Muhammad Hussain” among others. Captain “Sher-Khan” is also among them as “Kargil-War” Heroes. Flight Lt. ‘Rashid Minhas’ of “1970 War” was also a youth. Similarly, other WHO got this highest after ‘death’ gallantry awards were not having a rank higher than ‘Majors’. These all were “JAWANS” whom NATION is proud, today! Being commandant is not a symbol of bravery. Senior ranking “Shaheeds” are found in ongoing war against terror. A “Professional” enforced calamity of being “Non-NATO” ally!

Last edited:

Humble Pakistani

Councller (250+ posts)
A sad story... We salute our brave solders who are the defenders of our nation from external and internal enemies. Our soldiers are the one who are fighting this Jehad against the enemies of Pakistan who kill ruthlessly! We pray for our Ghzis & Shaheeds!