Striking Resemblance between Nawaz Sharif and Satan in Paradise Lost

Dr ali ahmad

Voter (50+ posts)
By Dr Ali Ahmad

London/14/03/18

The deposed prime minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif, has launched into a diatribe against judges while addressing crowds, and when secluded, he loses hope, however; and thus turns into a miserable character like Satan of John Milton’s Paradise Lost, an epic narrative of Satan’s rebellion against God. Nawaz Sharif’s strident tenor against the judiciary bears close resemblance to that of Satan against Heaven.

In gatherings, Nawaz Sharif becomes a rebellious leader with no regrets, but in private his inner thoughts gush forth, turning him into a sad, miserable character devoid of hope. In the same manner, how Satan behaves in front of fellow demons is not the same as when he is alone. Satan appears more confident in himself when others are before him. Satan on finding himself with his demons in the Hell stands and speaks: “What though the field be lost? All is not lost; the unconquerable will, And study of revenge, immortal hate, And courage never to submit or yield.”

And Nawaz said: “what though if the premiership be lost? And what though I have been deposed from the post of presidency of Muslim League(N). My name is still Nawaz Sharif.” Nawaz Sharif presents himself to be very resolute in his fight against the state laws. The indignity Nawaz suffered and which caused him to fight the establishment hasn't changed. He parallels Satan, who says: “Though chang'd in outward lustre; that fixt mind/And high disdain, from sence of injur'd merit,/That with the mightiest rais'd me to contend,”

However, when he is alone, Nawaz Sharif spins a different tale and he questions himself as a strong rebel against the law, being conscious of the supremacy of the apex court and the might of military establishment as Satan was conscious of the Supremacy of God. A verse in which Satan recognizes God’s superiority reads: “”boasting I could subdue/The omnipotent. Ay me, they little know/How dearly I abide that boast so vain/Under what torment inwardly I groan” (4.85-88).

The boasting Nawaz Sharif, like that of Satan, did has a great cost to him emotionally because he knows that in the end he could not compete with the judiciary, yet he has to hide that fact from those who surround him. Whilst his followers are not aware of this fact, Nawaz Sharif is aware. He knows that the judiciary and the security establishment will not let him slip away unpunished at any cost. This causes him distress, but he can only express it when he is alone and that is evident from the sad shape of his face.

“Better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven” (1.263) are famous words uttered by an insubordinate Satan soon after his fall. And Nawaz appears with similar assertion in gatherings.

Nawaz knows he will never be happy now-- or ever again-- since he can never overtake the supremacy of law or the might of the security establishment. His inward pain of dread and hopelessness creates a sympathetic and tragic character and a sympathetic devil is a dangerous devil.

Last edited by a moderator:

mian_ssg

MPA (400+ posts)
Justice delayed is justice denied. Had the culprits been punished in time, they would not have been able to build their narrative and gather sympathies of the public.
Even if a killer is not punished in due time and his case prolongs, then people tend to shift their sympathies towards him. It is natural psychological tendency. With the passage of time the wounds are healed and pain of the loss reduces and people (even from within the sufferer's family) start to think that one soul has already been lost so now the second one should not. While on the other hand if justice is served in due time then all the sympathies are with the sufferers and sufferers also desire for the capital punishment for the killer and if served in time can act as a deterrence for similar acts in future.