Starvation will kill us first before Corona...

ejunooni

MPA (400+ posts)
Giving example of South Korea is like sending a patient from Mud Hut to the US for the treatment of stage-IV cancer.

Neither we can afford the treatment, nor expect the results that they have achieved.
Reason is on the tweet below!!!

https://twitter.com/x/status/1243187012745732102
As i said every country doesnt have the mass testing option available like SK. Also, most countries were too late to respond and were ill prepared which includes a lot of developed countries. Hence, the lockdown period to strategize next steps.

desan

President (40k+ posts)
As i said every country doesnt have the mass testing option available like SK. Also, most countries were too late to respond and were ill prepared which includes a lot of developed countries. Hence, the lockdown period to strategize next steps.

How much time will this lockdown give us and at what cost???
It's a losing proposition anyway one looks at it.

The best thing is to cut ones losses and accept the stark reality sooner than later.

Sonya Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Consider corona as influenza but much more virulent and 3 times more contagious ..... Now having said that flu season is just ending with about 8% of American population getting it and having a mortality of 0.1% ..... ( Do the math ) ... The question should be why there was no lockdown in flu season .... The answer is scientists know the flu virus , can predict the pattern of flu virus and even prepare the vaccine against the expected mutated strain every October .... Its the unpredictability of corona virus and it’s mutation that has shocked the scientists worldover .... Lockdown with social distancing is the only way to delay spread and buy time ..... The cured patients and their unaffected relatives will hold the key to further studies ..... which will take time ..... Curfew will only compound problems if lifted simultaneously for mandatory break .....

FaisalKh

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Containing the disease at this stage is like putting the toothpaste back into the tube...

COVID will automatically stop spreading once a certain threshold of infection is reached, but politicans of course will take the credit for their half hearted measures!!!

Sorry i did not get the context of analogy between the spread and toothpaste in the tube. But i dont see any harm in containing the spread on the level where govts can handle it.

Regarding your second point, looking at Italy and the deaths every day. Do you think they would agree with this? (reaching certain threshold and stop)