Religious Minorities in India

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
The US Commission on International Religious Freedom, an independent congressionally mandated panel that provides recommendations to the government, said in a statement Wednesday that India's response to attacks on Christians in the eastern state of Orissa in 2008 and against Muslims in western Gujarat state in 2002 was 'largely inadequate.'

The panel had recommended that India be placed on the more serious 'countries of particular concern' list after the 2002 riots, but it was removed in 2005.

In Orissa's Kandhamal district, widespread trouble began in late August last year after the killing of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, a hard-line Hindu leader who advocated that Christian converts return to Hinduism.

Police blamed local Maoist guerrillas for the killing, but Hindu militants quickly turned on local Christians and the rampages left at least 40 people dead, thousands homeless and dozen of churches destroyed.

In Gujarat about 1,000 people, most of them Muslims, were killed when Hindu mobs rampaged through Muslim neighborhoods, towns and villages in the state from February to April 2002.

The riots were triggered by a fire that killed 60 passengers on a train packed with Hindu pilgrims.
The religious violence was among India's worst since its independence from Britain in 1947
The Gujarat state government is controlled by Hindu nationalists of the Bharatiya Janata Party who have been accused of not doing enough to stop the violence and at times stoking it. Officials there, however, said they did everything they could to quell the rioting.

'In both Orissa and Gujarat, court convictions have been infrequent, perpetrators rarely brought to justice and thousands of people remain displaced,' the statement said. There was no immediate response from the Indian government.

Countries are placed on the watch list or the more serious 'countries of particular concern' list because their governments either discriminate against people for religious reasons or are unwilling or unable to stop religious violence by their citizens.

The other countries currently on the list are Afghanistan, Belarus, Cuba, Egypt, Indonesia, Laos, the Russian Federation, Somalia, Tajikistan, Turkey, and Venezuela.

The statement added that the panel issues its annual report on religious freedom in May and this year's India chapter was delayed because the Indian government refused to give visas to panel members.

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
As Always Deniers will come with lame and Senseless Excuses and totally logic out of the window stuff to save their Blushes :lol: :D :D

nabeel117

Councller (250+ posts)
A typical Indian reply: Yes we know there are still some issues in India and we will look into it as soon as we once finished pointing fingers on Pakistan (Which by the way will never end ;) )
:lol:

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
1. Whatever has happened in India is for everyone to see, our media brings out the truth.
And there is no excuse or justification for violence against people of different thinking or different customs.

2. Again, India is not perfect.... :| , but, India is better than.... ;) 8-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information added later----
USCIRF categorizes countries as follows---
i> Countries of Particular Concern.(CPC) [These are the countries with the worst record on freedom of religion]
ii> Watchlist [second category]
iii> Additional Countries Monitored [Third Category]

Pakistan--- Is in the list of Countries of Particular Concern(CPC) :twisted:
India---- Is in Watchlist :oops:

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
1. Whatever has happened in India is for everyone to see, our media brings out the truth.
And there is no excuse or justification for violence against people of different thinking or different customs.

--hahaha Defense Mechanism :geek: :geek: :oops: :P

--Yes,Tehelka Rocks ;)

-- **ND Bharat ain't any way Close to Beautiful Pakistan :P :P :P 8-)

--Hey why you keep comparing your I**** with ouR Beloved Pakistan,,,Why ya'll so Insecure :shock: :shock: Beats me :lol: :lol: ..Remember in your Fantasies you are Touching the Sky and are a World Super Power :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Compare with USA 8-) 8-) :geek: :lol: :lol:

I Believe ya'll very very Confused and Disoriented :shock: :? :? :? :shock: :lol: :lol:

nabeel117

Councller (250+ posts)
contra said:

1. No one can stop violence like Gujrat incedent to come to public..... Whats so fancy about Indian media ;)

2.Its simply a comlex my friend........try to get some respect, who is saying India is *********** ;)

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
I have edited my previous post in this thread and added some new information.
Please read it.

Thankyou.

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
I have edited my previous post in this thread and added some new information.
Please read it.

Thankyou.

You mean another bunch of gibberish 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) Poor you :oops: :oops: