Religious Autonomy and Politics in Islam, Good reading material for Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan (SSP)

hans

Banned
Many mistakenly believe that Islam does not tolerate the existence of other religions present in the world. This article discusses some of the foundations the Prophet Muhammad himself laid in dealing with people of other faiths, with a practical examples from his lifetime.

Freedom of Religious Assembly and Religious Autonomy

Given consent by the constitution, the Jews had the complete freedom to practice their religion. The Jews in Medina at the time of the Prophetpbuh had their own school of learning, named Bait-ul-Midras, where they would recite the Torah, worship and educate themselves.

The Prophet pbuhemphasized in many letters to his emissaries that religious institutions should not be harmed. Here in a letter addressed to his emissary to the religious leaders of Saint Catherine in Mount Sinai who has sought the protection of the Muslims:

This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by God! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil Gods covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are declared to be protected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world). ( Ref: Muslim and Non-Muslims, Face-to-Face, Ahmad Sakr. Foundation for Islamic Knowledge, Lombard IL.)

As one can see, this Charter consisted of several clauses covering all important aspects of human rights, including such topics as the protection of minorities living under Islamic rule, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.

On another occasion, the Prophetpbuh received a delegation of sixty Christians from the region of Najran, then a part of Yemen, at his mosque. When the time for their prayer came, they faced the direction of east and prayed. The Prophetpbuh ordered that they be left in their state and not harmed.

Politics

There are also examples in the life of the Prophet in which he cooperated between with people of other faiths in the political arena as well. He selected a non-Muslim, Amr-ibn Umaiyah-ad-Damri, as an ambassador to be sent to Negus, the King of Ethiopia.

These are only some of the examples of the Prophets tolerance of other faiths. Islam recognizes that there are a plurality of religions on this earth, and gives the right to individuals to choose the path which they believe to be true. Religion is not to be, and was never, forced upon an individual against their own will, and these examples from the life of the Prophet are an epitome of the verse of the Quran which promotes religious tolerance and sets the guideline for the Muslims interaction with people of other faiths. God says:

There is no compulsion in religion (Quran 2:256)

The Prophet Muhammadpbuh, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, was described as a Mercy for all the Worlds, as God said in the Quran:

We have sent you as a mercy for all the worlds. (Quran 21:107)

Prophet Muhammadpbuh mercy and compassion was so great that on more than one occasion, God, Himself, reprimanded him for it. One of the greatest opponents of Islam and a personal enemy, was Abdullah bin Ubayy, the leader of the hypocrites of Medina. Outwardly proclaiming Islam, he surreptitiously inflicted great harm to the Muslims and the mission of the Prophet. Knowing his state of affairs, the Prophet Muhammad still offered the funeral prayer for him and prayed to God for his forgiveness. The Quran mentions this incident in these words:

And never (O Muhammad) pray for one of them who dies, nor stand by his grave. Lo! They disbelieve in God and His Messenger, and they died while they were evil doers. (Quran 9:84)

Abdullah bin Ubayy worked all his life against Muhammad and Islam and left no stone unturned so as to bring him into disrepute and try to defeat his mission. He withdrew his three hundered supporters in the battle of Uhud and thus almost broke the backbone of the Muslims at one stroke. He engaged in intrigues and acts of hostility against the Prophet of Islam and the Muslims. It was he who tried to bring shame to the Prophet by inciting his allies to falsely accuse the Prophets wife, Aisha, of adultery in order to discredit him and his message.

Keep to forgiveness (O Muhammad), and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant. (Quran 7:199)

Do hope I have not offended SSP, as they are very voilent for any kind of Wording agianst Sahaba. But When Quran diffrenciate between Sahaba how can I raise my fingure.

Refering to Quran 9:84, SSP should disband there party or make some changes to there Charter, without knowledge or intention these misfits are ganging against Quran.

Once again I repeat this quranic Verse......

Sahih International
"And do not pray [the funeral prayer, O Muhammad], over any of them who has died - ever - or stand at his grave. Indeed, they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger and died while they were defiantly disobedient.

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Quran also do not want Islam to be dominated by other religions. The objective of sending Muhammad SAW is described by in Quran.

هُوَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَرْسَلَ رَسُولَهُۥ بِٱلْهُدَىٰ وَدِينِ ٱلْحَقِّ لِيُظْهِرَهُۥ عَلَى ٱلدِّينِ كُلِّهِۦ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ ٱلْمُشْرِكُونَ {9:33**
He it is who hath sent His apostle with the guidance and the true religion that he may make it prevail over all religions, although the associators may detest.
وہی تو ہے جس نے اپنے پیغمبر کو ہدایت اور دین حق دے کر بھیجا تاکہ اس (دین) کو (دنیا کے) تمام دینوں پر غالب کرے۔ اگرچہ کافر ناخوش ہی ہوں

Mughal1

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
In time of the prophet almost all people believed in religions ie separation between theology and politics. Islam did not believe in this idea rather it put forth its case for rule in the name of Allah.

The major goals were freedom, justice, fairness, compassion, brotherhood, progress and prosperity for all. If anyone disagreed with these goals then it was same as one declared war of God and humanity.

So when muslims were not powerful they preached these goals and those who did not like these goals opposed them in all sorts of ways however there came time when muslims began to gain power and when they did they established the very same goals no less and no more. This is islam of Allah and the prophet. Even today this is exactly what jihad is about ie establishing these goals by peaceful discussions through convincing arguments unless people rise up against that and take up arms then muslims must not back down unless it is for strategic reasons. Anyone who is anti freedom ie oppressor and suppressor, unjust, unfair, cruel, regressive and pushes for poverty is anti islam. It is because you are not a peaceful person if you are working for any of these things. Islam is very clear. Muslims are only those who work for goals set by Allah and according to his guidelines anyone else is not a muslim who claims to be a muslims but fights against the very goals set by islam or tries to justify end goals by wrong means.

If anyone is fighting for religion then one is fighting against islam and if anyone is fighting for political reasons to gain power and wealth he too is fighting against islam. Because either way one is leading humanity into slavery of religious leaders or political leaders who do not accept the principles of islam as basis for common ground and common good.

If you are taking away my livelihood then how can you be my friend? By doing so you are declaring war on me so it is up to me to defend my self. Regardless you are a mullah or a king you are my enemy and not man of God or friend of humanity. This is why killing you is fine because that is what you indented to do to me.

So over all context of jihad is very clear. It is made clear just in very first several verses of the quran. It is therefore not right to stay silent and suffer cruelty at hands of others. It is god given right for man to defend his life, liberty and dignity. Mullahs' islam is islam of rulers not of the quran. It is worse than islam of rulers. Both want power and wealth by fooling masses.

This is what the quran is talking about in verses like 2/219 or 5/90. NASHA of power and wealth because there these verses are in context of power struggle between people for power and wealth. Drinking sharaab and gambling is nothing compared to cruelty of powerful people against masses.

These verses were deliberately misinterpreted to mask the hurmat of caste and class divine by mullahs to give free hand to themselves and their rulers to use and abuse people like dogs.

Islam is deen in this context and not a religion. Religion is anti islam to turn islam useless and ineffective. Islam is divine rule of law for mankind to hold each other accountable according to their god given rights and responsibilities against each other.

There are atheists, secularists, mullahs, hindus, christians etc here, all are running away from debates that really matter. All because the quran is based on real things not make beliefs. The quran challenges them all to come up with any other system they think can beat islam when it comes to creating real peace in this world between mankind.

This should proves to all enemies of islam that they are wrong and islam based on the quran is right. This is why islam is a challenge that is impossible to answer by reason.

Islam is islam=peace=terms fixed right from the start for mankind. Jihad is jihad within this context ie to get rid of oppression, injustice, unfairness, cruelty, animosity, stagnation and regression, poverty and ignorance.

It is very clear that all people will do themselves a huge favour if they could work together to get proper understanding of islam and bringing about such a rule otherwise they can try all they like but they will fail to get peace in the world. If the world is burning you are not going to be safe in your own house or even within your minds. So get rid of priestly classes and ruling elites and be one with each other. You will see the benefits for yourselves.

Please check your religious books against the quran and judge for yourselves whether the quran is better than them in guiding humanity or not.

Last edited: