Qur'an By Heart - HBO Documentary(Greg Barker) - Must See!

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
Koran By Heart: There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, many of whom grapple with the role religion should play in their lives, and the lives of their children. Each year during Ramadan, more than a hundred of the best young students from more than 70 countries across the Islamic world converge on Cairo for Egypt?s International Holy Koran Competition, one of the Islamic world?s most prestigious contests. Some of the competitors are as young as seven, and several have memorized the entire 600-page Koran without actually speaking Arabic.

[h=2]Storyline[/h]
110 kids from the Islamic world are chosen and arrive in Cairo for the world's oldest Koran reciting contest. KORAN BY HEART follows two boys from Senegal and Tajikistan, and a little girl from Maldives - who go head-to-head with kids nearly twice their age in the pronunciation, recitation and perfected memorization of the Qur'an. Even as their own future hangs in the balance, they are caught between fundamentalist and moderate visions of Islam.​

I watched this documentary last night and felt that I really have to share this. Listening these kids reciting Qur'an is like Angels reciting. I really got emotional while I was watching this documentary. May Allah reward all these kid and their parents.

An engaging look at the unique experiences and aspirations of Muslim children throughout the world.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, many of whom grapple with the role religion should play in their lives, and the lives of their children. Each year during Ramadan, more than a hundred of the best young students from more than 70 countries across the Islamic world converge on Cairo for Egypt's International Holy Qur'an Competition, one of the Islamic world's most prestigious contests. Some of the competitors are as young as seven, and several have memorized the entire 600-page Qur'an without actually speaking Arabic.

Please watch, I am sure, once you start, you would definitely see the whole documentary, at least I did.

I also intend to make my son memorize Qur'an when he grow up. Please make Dua for him, so that he will be able to memorize the whole Qur'an.

Jazak'Allah Khairan

Trailer

Part 1/6

Part 2/6

Part 3/6

Part 4/6

Part 5/6

Part 6/6

koran-by-heart-hbo-documentary-premieres-august-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

molson4u

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: Qur'an By Heart - HBO Documentary - MUST MUST WATCH

It's beautiful to see these little kids do such a great job in learning Quran. However, I have watched the entire competition and found it to be very unfair one and the result was discouraging.

First letting a 10 year old compete with 17 year old is unfair to say the least. It should have different age groups like 7-10, 11-15 and 16-19. I know that regardless of the age, they all know Quran by heart but age gives you more confidence and without a confidence, you can never win a competition.

Secondly, letting a 17 years Egyptian boy with arabic as a mother tounge win the competition with non Arabic speaking kids is unfair in the name of tajweed. If the tajweed is the biggest scoring point then, non arabic kids will never win. It was unfair.

Third, moderator speaking Arabic with children who can't understand arabic instruction. The moderator even
said that, he know the child is not understanding what he is saying or asking. Totally unfair, the moderator should have been speaking English which all other non Arabic speaking kids would have understood.

Demeanor of some moderator was insulting to the black child just because he was not understanding Arabic instructions. The child was crying shows how much confused he was and how stressed out he was because of insulting behavior.

Over all I think Egyptian stole the competition because of the home ground and moderator assisted set up. These action will live a long time with those little kids and in their memories.

May Allah bless all those kids and provide guidance to the adults to arrange this competition.

Last edited:

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)

I totally agree with you that there should be different age groups and the competition could have been arranged in a better way.

The other issue is that if moderators were speaking english, even then it could have been a potential problem, because some of these young kids would still wont understand. They could have arranged the interpretors or before the competition all the kids should have given a rehersal, so that they would exactly know what to do.

Silly mistakes like Rifdah did not know, that there is going to be a second round. Djamil did not know, that he could also read the verses from the computer etc...

I really thought during the whole documentary that Nabiollah (kid from Tajikistan) will win the competition. His memorization was excellent. This is the miracle of Qur'an that these kids memorized the whole Qur'an without understanding or speaking arabic.

It's beautiful to see these little kids do such a great job in learning Quran. However, I have watched the entire competition and found it to be very unfair one and the result was discouraging.

First letting a 10 year old compete with 17 year old is unfair to say the least. It should have different age groups like 7-10, 11-15 and 16-19. I know that regardless of the age, they all know Quran by heart but age gives you more confidence and without a confidence, you can never win a competition.

Secondly, letting a 17 years Egyptian boy with arabic as a mother tounge win the competition with non Arabic speaking kids is unfair in the name of tajweed. If the tajweed is the biggest scoring point then, non arabic kids will never win. It was unfair.

Third, moderator speaking Arabic with children who can't understand arabic instruction. The moderator even
said that, he know the child is not understanding what he is saying or asking. Totally unfair, the moderator should have been speaking English which all other non Arabic speaking kids would have understood.

Demeanor of some moderator was insulting to the black child just because he was not understanding Arabic instructions. The child was crying shows how much confused he was and how stressed out he was because of insulting behavior.

Over all I think Egyptian stole the competition because of the home ground and moderator assisted set up. These action will live a long time with those little kids and in their memories.

May Allah bless all those kids and provide guidance to the adults to arrange this competition.

Last edited:

JUST AMAZING......................

I think our words cannot do justice with these youngsters' talent. That is why I am not saying anything except this "JUST AMAZING".

GreenMaple

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Masha-Allah: Gifted children performing amazing recitations...

shehreyar

MPA (400+ posts)

:mash::mash::mash:allah tala en bachon ko zindagi day aalh tala nay bahut hi khubsurat awaz di hay jis ka ya theak estamal kar rahay haien

Adeel

Founder

Didn't know it was uploaded on youtube. I watched it last week and I was in a process of uploading it on a server. Thanks for making things easier for me. (bigsmile)

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)

You're most Welcome.

Jazak'Allah

Didn't know it was uploaded on youtube. I watched it last week and I was in a process of uploading it on a server. Thanks for making things easier for me. (bigsmile)