Poll : Financial Options for Mega Projects Like DAM's and Infrastructure? Chanda vs Consortiums

What do you think is the best option for financing mega projects like Hydro electric dams etc ?

• Total voters

shujauddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
I strongly believe that Mega projects like Hydro electric DAM's /Motorways etc. cannot be accomplished with donations/Chanda from the citizens.
The scale of these project require a much higher level financing and for that we need to develop partnerships/consortium with other countries that have sufficient capital and skills to invest like China, Japan and Turkey etc.

What is your opinion on that? please cast vote to share it. Zaidi Qasim Judge bhaibarood knowledge88

Nadir Bashir

Minister (2k+ posts)
Agreed that huge capital is required to build such projects.
I think Government can introduce some small taxes to generate revenue other than looking to foreign countries.

shujauddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Agreed that huge capital is required to build such projects.
I think Government can introduce some small taxes to generate revenue other than looking to foreign countries.
That's why I was very unconvinced when they started collecting chanda for the dam fund. I was like " Do they even have the idea what project management is and what are financial constraints etc. ?"

Nadir Bashir

Minister (2k+ posts)
That's why I was very unconvinced when they started collecting chanda for the dam fund. I was like " Do they even have the idea what project management is and what are financial constraints etc. ?"
Chanda has symbolic meaning.............Its not bad as well. 10 billion rupees collected under dam fund scheme has provided upfront money.
Since we have fiscal constraint as well. So i hope that in next ten years, at least we shall build two to three major water reserviors.
And we need to get out of this mess of IPPs. I have not seen any such security on investment in my life.............

surfer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I strongly believe that Mega projects like Hydro electric DAM's /Motorways etc. cannot be accomplished with donations/Chanda from the citizens.
The scale of these project require a much higher level financing and for that we need to develop partnerships/consortium with other countries that have sufficient capital and skills to invest like China, Japan and Turkey etc.

What is your opinion on that? please cast vote to share it. Zaidi Qasim Judge bhaibarood knowledge88
1) why are the two options in your poll mutually exclusive?
2) I don’t recall govt saying they will build dams from donations only? Why do you assume so?

shujauddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
1) why are the two options in your poll mutually exclusive?
2) I don’t recall govt saying they will build dams from donations only? Why do you assume so?
Mutually exclusive , reason being that the current PTI government does not have partner building experience like the previous government. The previous government established consortiums with Turkey , Korea , China etc ( Both Public and Private Sector) and accomplished big projects like Motorway, and other public transit projects.
PTI on the other hand has no such experience and always make a Chanda exclusive call and no other mean of financing the project.

ChulBul

Senator (1k+ posts)
I witnessed aswell how Canadian Pakistanis collected this donation. I still belevie as soon corona issue over, there should be part saved from tourism industry for dams and other environmental projects.

surfer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Mutually exclusive , reason being that the current PTI government does not have partner building experience like the previous government. The previous government established consortiums with Turkey , Korea , China etc ( Both Public and Private Sector) and accomplished big projects like Motorway, and other public transit projects.
PTI on the other hand has no such experience and always make a Chanda exclusive call and no other mean of financing the project.
The statement that Govt has no other means of financing the project is certainly incorrect. Now I recall you had asked similar questions before and I believe they were answered- although I admit the answers were not spoon fed to you

Regarding the previous “experienced” gov and dams, I don’t recall any consortium they put together. In fact in Aug 2013 Ishaq Dar said work on dasu and bhasha dams would start immediately, be self financed and both projects would be run concurrently and take 10-12 years to complete.

Even if we take 12 years, by May 2018 , about 40% of these two projects should have been completed by your beloved experienced team of lions? Can you find and share any evidence of this 40% completed projects?

Hope ramzan is going well for you....