Pak counsel rubbishes legal fees rumours, adds India misled ICJ

Uncle Q

Minister (2k+ posts)

142508_9230787_updates.jpg

LONDON: Khawar Qureshi, counsel for Pakistan before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Friday said the court is yet to decide the case on merit.

Speaking to Geo News, Qureshi said, "The order issued by the ICJ is just a procedural order to enable full hearing," before adding, "we have raised very strong arguments on the merits and jurisdiction.

"India misled the court and we have shown that," he said, urging the media to show restraint and not spread false news.

Speaking with regard to reports of his fees, Qureshi said references to his fees were complete lies fabricated by Indian Twitterati.

He said that Indian nationals behind such baseless propaganda may have government backing.
"My fees were not even 10 per cent of what the Indian propaganda suggests. I cancelled another professional commitment with another government to travel to Pakistan urgently," Qureshi said.
I gave a 30 per cent reduction on my fees, besides covering the cost of two of my juniors' fees, he added.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/142508-pak-counsel-rubbishes-legal-fees-rumours-adds-india-misled-icj

Husaink

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
اتنے اہم معاملے پر عالمی عدالت میں جانے سے پہلے یہ سوے ہوے تھے ؟ عمران خان کے خلاف تو بک بک کرنے پورے وزیروں اور وزیرنیوں کا جتھہ ایک دوسرے کے اندر سے منہ نکال نکال کر جھاگ اڑا رہا ہوتا ہے ، یہاں کیا موت پڑ گئی تھی کون سا سانپ سونگھ گیا تھا ؟

Eyeaan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
[h=3]Qureshi seems quite competent for this case at ICJ venue. I think current criticism and campaign against him is somewhat misplaced.
However, we need to keep an eye over the Noora government because they will certainly try to cut some deal with the foreign powers to undermine Pak military and enhance their credentials in the eyes of western powers. This will provide them useful help in the coming elections.

Pakistan shouldn't create a hype over ICJ because it isn't binding.
It is Indian government which seeks to create a hype for their local consumption and political needs.

"Background[/h] Qureshi has taken on numerous cases before English courts and has also appeared before International Arbitral Tribunals, advising on matters involving at least 80 different jurisdictions.

According to his website, Khawar was called to the Bar (Queen Mother’s Scholar, Middle Temple) in 1990 and took Silk in 2006. In 1993 he was the youngest advocate to have appeared in the International Court of Justice.
His stint at ICJ is not his first. In fact, in 1993, he was the youngest lawyer to have appeared in the ICJ as counsel for Bosnia in the Genocide case against (the then) Yugoslavia.
Khawar has made extensive appearances in the English Court at all levels, and in many international arbitration/commercial matters for and against more than 60 governments. He was an “A” Panel UK Government Treasury Counsel from 1999-2006. Khawar has been Chairman of TheCityUK Legal Services group which is designated by the UK Ministry of Justice as the lead organisation to promote UK legal services internationally.
[h=3]A professor and prolific writer[/h] Qureshi has taught Commercial Law at Cambridge University, Public International law at Kings London and was appointed a visiting professor in Commercial Law at the University of London in 2006. He was appointed a Deputy High Court Judge in 2013 and is a bencher of Middle Temple.
Qureshi is also an avid writer who has published several journals and books on the topics related to complex legal issues and their solutions.
According to The Lawyer, however, in one of the cases he had taken on involving Gibson Dunn and Peter Gray, Qureshi had reported himself to the Bar Standards Board following an adverse ruling. Gray had misled the High Court in March in a case between Gibson Dunn and Republic of Dijbouti, where Gray made a number of accusations to the court about Qureshi’s conduct, alleging that Qureshi was aware of misdated phone transcripts that led Gray to losing his job.
The Bar Standards Board (BSB) later dismissed complaints against Serle Court barrister Khawar Qureshi QC related to his conduct in the high-profile Djibouti case."

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Bhai saab biggest point yeh hai Pakistan ne ICJ ki jurisdiction mani hi kyu, jab ke Pakistan mein us trial already ho chuka tha aur saaza bi sunai ja chuki thi. Yeh NaaPak Sharfu ke ek aur harkat hai Pak Fauj ko zaleel kerne ke liye ke bhai hamari military courts jhooti hai aur hum un ko nahi maante is like ICJ ki jurisdiction ko qabool kerte hain. Kyun ke Pakistani military courts is qabil hi nahi hain.