Outrageous amount of tax on mobile phones... thoughts please

nawaz.sharif

Minister (2k+ posts)
PTI government has imposed following duties on mobiles since July 2019, and now even personal mobiles brought from overseas are subject to this tax. Last year, one personal mobile was allowed duty free but now that allowance has been removed.

Do you think this restriction is justified?
I think this is outrageous that people can't even bring their personal mobiles from overseas without paying duty ( if they intend to live more than 60 days in Pakistan).

Refer to following FBR document for details:

Q: Can I bring one mobile phone into Pakistan without payment of duty/taxes?
A: No. Recently Baggage Rules have been amended vide Finance Act, 2019 whereby facility for bringing duty/taxes free mobile set has been withdrawn w.e.f. 01.07.2019. Hence duty and taxes will be paid on that mobile phone

Reference: http://download1.fbr.gov.pk/Docs/201982016826049FAQs-DIRBS.pdf

75233585-679961089218626-1097393238236463104-o.jpg

surfer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
PTI government has imposed following duties on mobiles since July 2019, and now even personal mobiles brought from overseas are subject to this tax. Last year, one personal mobile was allowed duty free but now that allowance has been removed.

I think this is outrageous that people can't even bring their personal mobiles from overseas without paying duty ( if they intend to live more than 60 days in Pakistan).

A: No. Recently Baggage Rules have been amended vide Finance Act, 2019 whereby facility for bringing duty/taxes free mobile set has been withdrawn w.e.f. 01.07.2019. Hence duty and taxes will be paid on that mobile phone

Are you going to come back and give izzat to vote?

webnise

MPA (400+ posts)
I think these are temporary tax charges to balance the deficits, that is, less $ leave the country via imports but once the deficits are under control, bring the tax down.

Secondly, having high tax on an imported item signals that country is trying to make the manufacturers who import to Pak, to setup units in Pak to save their business. Latest example is the setup of Apple formal distributor and Huwai who have recently decided to create a unit in Pak for assembly, which will help in job creation.

Will_Bite

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

overseas Pakistanis data was being stolen to smuggle phones tax free. this has put a stop to it.
for individual users, one phone is not a big deal. but stopping millions of dollars worth smuggled phones is worth it.

nawaz.sharif

Minister (2k+ posts)
overseas Pakistanis data was being stolen to smuggle phones tax free. this has put a stop to it.
for individual users, one phone is not a big deal. but stopping millions of dollars worth smuggled phones is worth it.

Ohhh ok.. I didn't know that.. thanks

AbbuJee

But regardless everyone uses their phones like crazy. If they only use when its needed this shouldn't be an issue. But I have seen people who earn 10,000/month but spend 2000Rs on cigarettes and 1-2k on mobile phones.

Steyn

It's a good thing. Tax these expats who can't stop bak bak about IK singing his praises.

Kuch tou unko bhi takleef pohonchay pir ye shayed bak bak band kar day

AbbuJee

Ye amreeka/uk say plan kay phone wahan chori ka claim kar kay pakistan aa kar baich detay they.