Ordinary persona, extraordinary deed

C

commander

Ordinary persona, extraordinary deed

Unveiling the rising stars of Pakistan

By Meena Ahmed

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/aug2009-week ... 9/p5.htm#1

The future of a country depends on its youth. It is the youth that can turn around the fortunes of a nation by dint of hard work and enterprise. The United Nations has allocated 12th August as the International Youth Day. To celebrate the youth of Pakistan, Us brings to you some of the shining stars of Pakistan who have made the whole nation proud…

Ali Moeen Nawazish: The genius
6a1.jpg

People take decades to make their mark in the world, but, making history merely in 18 years of one's life is no joke. The entire world was astounded when Ali Moeen Nawazish, an ordinary boy performed extraordinarily by securing 22 As out of 24 subjects in A-level exams. For this outstanding achievement, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani, bestowed on him the 'Pride of Performance Award'.

Ali, a 19-year-old whiz kid, opted for 24 A-level subjects, with a very rare combination of science and commerce subjects and secured 22 As. This feat has been duly recorded by Guinness Book of World Record (GBWR, 2009). Ali shares that he has his own unique style to retain information by linking the info with something funny. He considers himself just an ordinary student, like many others, who had the opportunity to do something completely different.

Ali feels that the youth should come forward to bring about a positive change in the society. "The youth must realise that they are the future. They need to start strengthening their morals and ethics above all else."

Ali loves to indulge in various activities. One of them is a series of lectures which he is recording on different subjects which will be available to all schools and on the Internet, free of cost. Ali has a passion to serve his country in the highest possible capacity. "Everyone should try to help out those who are less gifted. We need to give back!" says Ali.

Mantra for youth: 'Be ordinary, but do the extraordinary.'

Dr Khurram Shabbir: What say Newton?
6b1.jpg

Dr Khurram Shabbir, from the Department of Mathematics, GC University Lahore, is one of the youngest Ph.D. holders in Mathematics in Pakistan.

At the age of 26, Dr Khurram received this honour last year. According to him, "It was a great feeling for me because I am one of those who have achieved this at a very young age." While doing his Ph.D. he attended many national and international conferences. He was also invited by some international universities to deliver lectures. Not only this, Dr Khurram also received an invitation to conduct his Post Doctoral Fellowship in Mexico.

Mathematics is a tough domain but Dr Khurram had been good at it since his childhood. "I had been good at Mathematics since my childhood. Also during my studies I got enthused by some of my great instructors who also motivated me to do my Ph.D. in the subject."

Dr Khurram is an optimist who would like to contribute further in order to serve his homeland. He believes that there is a lot of potential in the Pakistani youth that needs to be explored.

Mantra for youth: 'Working with devotion and sincerity will guarantee you success. '

Ravendar Lal: And the award goes to…
6e1.jpg

IEEE (Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers) is the world's largest and oldest research body, initiated by Graham Bell some 125 years ago. Each year, the IEEE Larry K Wilson Award is given to the most active IEEE volunteer of the region. The award bears great significance for any IEEE researcher.

This year, nearly nine students from the Asia-Pacific region were nominated for the award. The honour, however, went to a young Pakistani student, Ravendar Lal, for his outstanding contributions. Ravendar is the first Pakistani to win this award.

Ravendar had been very active in promoting research activities in Pakistan under IEEE. He is also the Country Representative of GINI Pakistan Project and is leading the teams in various parts of the country. He is a passionate youth who would like to brand the name of Pakistan in Global BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) Industry. According to him, "This can help Pakistan with its employment and trade deficit issues. This enterprising youth, if utilised properly, can help in solving economic issues being faced by Pakistan."

Besides being a good student, Ravendar is also involved in a project called 'Educate Sindh' which includes career counseling in the rural areas of Sindh. He believes that Pakistani youth has great potential but all we need is to respect ourselves and our unrecognised potential.

Mantra for youth: Stand up, speak up and make a difference -- It's our time.

Rana Hasan Manzoor: The Flash
6f1.jpg

When it comes to guitar playing with max speed, Jimmy Hendrix, Michael Angelo Batio, Chris Impellitteri, Paul Gilbert spring to mind. Among the great guitarists of Pakistan, we have the likes of Amir Zaki, Faraz Anwer and Mekaal Hasan. And the latest addition to the list is Rana Hasan Manzoor, one of the fastest young guitarists of Pakistan. This young Lahori can play up to 60 notes per second. "Initially I could play 35 to 40 notes per second but currently I can play 50 to 60 notes per second," claims Rana.

Rana always had a zeal for music and thus started playing guitar at a very young age. He is not only a guitarist but also a composer. Rana is running a studio called 'Studio 17', where he conducts guitar instructional sessions. Rana has also introduced his own band called 'Rana Hasan Project (RHP)'. The band has been performing in various commercial concerts and TV shows. "I strongly believe in keeping up the original spirit of the music alive. This is why most of my compositions are folk based with a modern touch of shred and rock metallic keeping a balance between the three," says Rana.

Officially, Rana started his career 10 years back. He is a completely self-taught musician. While discussing his major projects he discloses, "My shred instrumental album will be released globally very soon. I am also working on my band's album. I feel proud that I am the only guitarist of Pakistan who has introduced shred music in Pakistan. My album will be the first of its kind in Pakistan."

He hopes to promote his music and band worldwide. Rana has also been awarded 'Best Talent Award' scholarship from Berklee College of Music, USA. Soon he will be on 'The Book of Alternate Records' as the fastest guitarist of Pakistan.

Mantra for youth: 'Be what you are!'

Mir Zafar Ali: The show-stopper
6g1.jpg

Last year at the Oscars, Mir Zafar Ali, along with his team, won an Oscar for 'Best Visual Effects'. Mir, a Karachiite, won the award for a fantasy movie 'The Golden Compass'. Mir was one of the Effects Technical Directors who worked on producing the special visual effects for the Oscar-nominated movie. 'The Golden Compass' also won the 2008 BAFTA Award (British Academy of Film and Television Arts Award) for the same category. 'The Golden Compass' is about a magical world and a magical world is no good without smashing visual effects and Mir, along with his team, provided the effects with a panache that speaks volumes of his caliber.

Mir is undoubtedly a talented Pakistani youth whose forte is computer graphics. Mir's first ever project as an effects animator was 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

Mir has also been a part of several other major projects including 'Surf's Up', 'Spider-Man 3', 'Ghost Rider', 'Open Season', 'Monster House' etc.

Source: Internet

Kiran Khan: The little mermaid
6d1.jpg

19-year-old Kiran Khan from Lahore is the national female swimming champion of Pakistan. She won the title of 'Water baby' at the 17th Commonwealth Games. Kiran is the daughter of a former International Pakistan swimmer, Khalid Zaman Khan.

Kiran started swimming at the age of four and has been swimming for the past 12 years. She participated in the 14th Asian Games held in Korea, and was the only Pakistani swimmer to reach the 100m free-style final. At the 4th World Islamic Games held in Iran, Kiran made the entire Pakistani nation proud by winning three gold, three silver and two bronze medals and made five new national records. A total of 18 medals were won by the Pakistan contingent in 18 disciplines, out of which eight belonged to this 'Water baby'.

At the South Asian Swimming Championship held for the very first time in Pakistan, Kiran won the gold medal in the 50m butterfly. This was Pakistan's first-ever gold medal in women's swimming overall. She also represented Pakistan in the 29th Olympic Games.

Kiran feels honoured to represent her country in the international arena. "I am proud of achieving my biggest goals - to represent Pakistan in the Olympics and to win medals in the South Asian Championship." Kiran has also been awarded 'Benazir Women Excellence Award' for Best Sportswoman at the 5th International Conference on Women's Leadership.

Mantra for youth: 'The youth of today becomes the leader of tomorrow.'

Kiran Ikram: The rising star
6c1.jpg

Kiran Ikram started her career almost four years back under the supervision of Captain of Boats of Karachi Boat Club Arif Ikram. She has won laurels both at national and international levels. Kiran was the youngest competitor and the only female in 'Under -18' category at Qatar Sailing International Regatta 2003 and 2004. She tried her luck hard at Domaso Regatta, Italy and won the third position (female) in rowing.

Kiran recalls, "When I competed at the US Nationals, most people were surprised to see a Pakistani female competitor."

Kiran believes that it is important to be involved in some co-curricular activity. She says, "Rowing is a great way to achieve a sense of personal fulfillment. Thus, I have made it my mission to ensure that rowing on an international level becomes possible for all Pakistanis."

Currently Kiran is being trained to take part in the following international events: Annual Asian School Rowing Championship being held in Sri Lanka this month and Junior Asian Rowing Championship being held in Taiwan this November.

Mantra for youth: 'Achievement is the simple result of passion, strength and determination.'

Well done, folks. The entire nation is proud of you!

Last edited by a moderator: