Obama proposes a visitor tax on Canadians.

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Is US getting so hungry ?

U.S. President Barrack Obama has proposed a new 'passenger inspection fee' on Canadian travellers entering the country
The draft budget for 2012 submitted to Congress on Monday, includes a proposed fee for all Canadians travelling to the U.S. by air or sea.

If the proposal is accepted, Canadian travellers arriving by air or sea would be slapped with an additional service charge of $5.50 above and beyond all existing taxes.

Presently, all visitors from Canada, Mexico and a number of Caribbean countries are exempt from this fee and have been since 1997.

The draft budget for 2012, submitted by Obama to Congress Monday morning, includes a proposal to lift these exemptions which would generate an estimated $110 million a year, according to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The revenue from the proposed charges would support U.S. Customs and Border Protection's inspection functions which have recently grown more intensive, according to the documents submitted by Homeland Security.

The proposed fee comes just a week after Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Obama agreed to a deal that would establish a North American security and trade perimeter.

The fee would not apply to Canadians travelling in private vehicles.

In 2009 alone, 16.3 million Canadians took trans-border flights between Canada and the U.S., according to Statistics Canada.

Do you think the proposed passenger inspection fee is reasonable? Share your comments below.

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I dont think this is fair but Canadian's dont have a choice either.Both Countries are intricately linked in so many ways,there is no example anywhere in the World.For example thousands of Canadians living in Windsor have jobs across the bridge in Detriot.Appx 20 million Canadians go to US every year.I guess they will have to swallow this bitter pill also.

concern_paki

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
USA is getting so cheap now...... anyways most will be hurt by this will Canadians and also the tourists .... as there are hundreds of connecting flights from USA... and I do not think that it would be fair that these charges would apply on the tourists as well who just have some connecting flights from USA. I do understand that USA is spending a lot of money for the security purposes in order to get the travel documents check from these passengers, but trust me that this is totally their internal affair and nothing more than an extra headache for the passenger who unfortunately have a connecting flight from USA. However, it also should be appreciable that they did not impose any tax on the people who uses their vehicles to cross the borders as there are many Canadians who used to live in Windsor and work in Detroit or somewhere nearby in Michigan and they transit on the daily basis. Otherwise, it would be a big mess up. I do not what type of decisions are taken by US government... but it is quite clear that they are losing everything and the situation is getting out of their hands and they are in the state of PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!! careful USA

sarmad

Senator (1k+ posts)
oh sir ji, when Americans enter Canada, they get charged 3 dollars and something. So what is the big deal if they are charging Canadians $5.

If you can't afford $5 then you shouldnt be going to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ;)

Bilal_Mushi

Minister (2k+ posts)
Its $ 3.00 per car and its been to every car no matter where is it registered....... I guess this $ 3.00 charge is for the bridges connecting these two countries. $ 5.50 is not a big deal but what is the reason behind can be an interesting news...........Canadian business are after Harper to cut down of airline fees. Lots of people flying from neighboring U.S cities airports.

oh sir ji, when Americans enter Canada, they get charged 3 dollars and something. So what is the big deal if they are charging Canadians $5.

If you can't afford $5 then you shouldnt be going to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ;)