Lobby for English captions/subtitles

sher_khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistani TV channels should have english captions/subtitles for each polictically inclined show. Specially the onoes that are analysing the current situation between Pakistan and India.

This way we can advise our non-Pakistani friends to visit the channels' websites and inform themselves. Even better, we non-resident Pakistanies, can forward the links to TV channels' or newspapers' journalists in their places of residence.

Right now India is winning the propaganda war. Mainly because a good chunk of its news channels and print media cover the analysis in english, which is understandable for the people who don't speak hindi or urdu. Through urdu discussions we are only informing Pakistanies not the rest of the world.

We need a platform to present our point of view.

Any ideas on what steps can we take? Can some one help me? Better yet, how can I help?

By the way, this ios a great website. Thanks a million to the administrators.

Sher Khan
Toronto, Canada

lahori

Senator (1k+ posts)
Hello Sher,

Welcome to the forum.

If I was you, I would go to all TV websites and copy paste the above well written post in an email to them.

For example, If you go to geo.tv Send them an email to their main email. Also they have sections for each program and that email reaches to respective producers.

By the way, that is a great idea!

smali

Citizen
assalam o alaikum
Well there are multiple issues to this problem.
First of all, there is no guarantee that the programs will 'help' open the hearts of the Westerners. There are websites who actually try really hard to find clips from Muslim TV channels and cut-paste clips out of context to serve their own needs. Those people do not care about the truth will never change their opinion.

Secondly, right now it is more important that we educate our own masses. Presently, Pakistanis do not know themselves of what really is going on. Many are lead by their own interpretation of politics are blinded by the reality. Therefore, it is important that more than before Pakistani channels continue to broadcast in Urdu and avoid English as much as possible. One-third of the nation is under proverty and almost half the nation is illiterate. Rather than having a few hundred thousands non-Pakistanis benefit, it is more important that the 75 million people who are illiterate know what is going on first.

Moreover, in my opinion, there is no honour when one gives up their language just to convince the "other side". You may have heard of a famous saying in English: "If you want to take away someone's identity, take away their language." You can see that happening in India, who could have wanted to make Hindi as their official tongue to naturalize the masses but chose English instead. It's so disgraceful they even use total English in their parliamentary sessions.

If you sincerely believe that having English subtitles will benefit Western propaganda, then it is the same as saying you are allowing yourself to be sold to that propaganda. Do not let that happen and do not believe their lies. Have imaan and pray for the current situation. Right now, the country needs to be organized first.

I was watching GEO TV the other day and a really wise professor on Capital Talk said: "Dushman ko dost nahin samaghna chahiye. Jab dost ko dushman samghein gay aur dushman ko dost, to ham tabahi ki teraf jain gay."

sher_khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
Salaam Smali:

I appreciate your opinion and the time you took to prepare a reply. I agree with few things that you have raised and respectfully disagree with some.

Firstly, yes, there is no guarantee that it will work but things are not always done if the results are guaranteed. Yes, people on the west side of the world have misconceptions about Pakistan. However, whenever I visit Pakistan, I also see a lot of Pakistanis who have misconceptions about Westerners. Common westerners dont have an agenda against Pakistan. They can be convinced via discussions and investigative reports. They are quite capable of making their own decisions. Unfortunately, neither of the parties have reached out to fill the gaps among them. This cant be achieved only at the governmental levels. We the people will have to get involved.

Secondly, I agree that a lot of Pakistanis dont have an official status of educated people. However, they are not nave. They can make their own decisions. They know the difference b/w right and wrong. They have their own opinions. Although their opinions can be manipulated by their political leaders, I dont think that I have the right to stop them from having one. It is very common in democracies. People are rightest and leftist. Modest and extremist. Their views can be very isolated but they are not told to not express themselves. Pakistan has nothing to hide. We have all kinds of opinions. We dont have to hide from any1.

Thirdly, I respect your thought on retaining Urdu as the language of communication for these programs. I am a big fan of our mother tongue and find it graceful. If you noticed, I am lobbying for english subtitles/captions not to have English discussions. I find investigative reports from Pakistan very handy and have a view that if translated they can be used as an effective argument against the Indian propaganda.

Fourthly, I think that India has found English as an effective tool of communication. There are thousands of cultures and languages and they need to communicate effectively (yes, they have effectively assassinated Urdu from their culture, but thats a different discussion). I think its working well for them since they are creating quite a few jobs in India because of tele-marketing. I remember in 1990s National Assembly members in Pakistan used to stand up and make speeches in their folk languages without providing other members with any translated transcripts. That was just a red herring. They wanted to create chaos. I am all for preserving Urdu but have to communicate with westerners some how. Yes, I agree with India giving up its culture, but I dont think that its because of English. Its a matter of low self esteem.

Fifthly, I am not falling for any propaganda. I just want to communicate with other people in the world, rather than being isolated. India is beating its drum louder and louder, and people are buying it. We need to do the same. Times have changed. Its no longer just a physical war. Its information war. Also, praying is a good matter but taking actions is also imperative. Hence I am trying to contribute in a way that I think taht I can be useful for my country.

Furthermore, we have to evaluate our relationship with India on a perpetual basis. Step by step, piece by piece and situation by situation. Right now it is playing the role of our enemy. Over the long-run we have to have a better relationship with India. The region of sub-continent has a potential of becoming the leader in the world over next 50 to 60 years. We have to convince India that it is in their best interest to have a stabilized relationship with Pakistan in order to have a continuous economic development. If they are looking for a friendship they should look into Pakistan rather than a dying superpower. However, first thing is first. Its time for a propaganda war.

I appreciate your comment and it is important that people critique my opinions. This way there will be a check on my opinions and I will be better informed. Ill continue my efforts for the English subtitles and you should find a way that you think you can contribute to the cause of Pakistan. We both should mobilize.

Yours truly,

Sher Khan

Toronto, Canada

coolfadi

Voter (50+ posts)
Sher khan,
i totally agree with you. The person who is living abroad can understand what you are trying to say. I love my lanugauage but for penetrating international media we have to talk in English. We have to give such informative programs in English so that we can capture some of the loyalties from the world. I will prefer if somebody can translate Talat's program about Mumbai attacks in English and we can put English Dubbing with that program and can upload them here or on my blog or anywhere on the internet. In this way we will start translating all those programs which are good to explain our point of view. But we need somebody whose english is very good and can translate them. I am sorry my english is not that good. And then we will just put that audio with the program.

Thanks and Regards
Fahad