India state-run banks 'turn away Muslims' - A reply to Molana Madni of India- Muslim not allowed ban

sarbakaf

Siasat.pk - Blogger
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10718243

21 July 2010 Last updated at 16:50

India state-run banks 'turn away Muslims'

By Sanjoy Majumder BBC News, Delhi
_48442280_48442282.jpg
Muslims make up India's largest minority community
State-owned banks in India have been accused of discriminating against the country's Muslim minority.
India's minorities watchdog has received a record number of complaints from Muslims who say they have been prevented from opening bank accounts.
India's Muslim community is among the poorest in the country.
Some bankers say it is not so much their religious background, but their economic status that makes it hard for Muslims to get banking facilities.
The National Commission of Minorities says that there has been a 100% increase in the number of complaints it has received over the past year from Muslims who say they are being prevented from opening accounts in state-run banks.
Reports say the worst case took place in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, where some 90,000 Muslim students were unable to open accounts to deposit scholarship cheques given to them by the government.
Official reports frequently put Muslims at the bottom of India's social and economic ladder - even beneath than low-caste Hindus.
Their economic status means they are often excluded by private banks, which prefer more well-to-do clients.
Already a number of reports have suggested that India's Muslims fare poorly when it comes to getting access to quality education or employment opportunities.
This latest finding will add more pressure on a government which is seen as doing very little for the country's largest minority group.

bons

Minister (2k+ posts)
They should come out of the secular camouflage now and rename their country as Hindu Republic of India.

Zionist Hindu

Senator (1k+ posts)
They should come out of the secular camouflage now and rename their country as Hindu Republic of India.

1) I fail to understand the logic, why would bank do that ( if this is true!!). Its stupid .... I haven't seen much of it in Indian media. As far as I know Muslims can open any account in any bank in India and they do. If bank did this solely because they were Muslims than this is gross violation of fundamental law of Indian Union. It would have created a huge uproar. I am inclined to think the reason must be different and not their faith.
2) Indian Muslims were and are behind most other populations in India. Lack of education being the major culprit. There are still million of Muslims who prefer to go to madrassa (or not study at all due to poverty) rather than government school (which is free). Once they finish it they will be useless for society and will not be able to compete with general population.
3) Situation of Muslim was poor even before the independence of India. There are no laws in India which discriminates minorities.
4) Government of India should do more for minorities. Already 2 states have introduced reservation for Muslims in schools and jobs.
5) In my opinion government should replace/reform Madrassa with schools. Bring special packages for education of Muslims . Empower Muslim women. Teach them about world religions/ cultures/ traditions so that they become/remain open minded and peaceful individuals.
6) There should be more Muslims in our armed forces and other government departments.
7) Majority of Pakistani Muslims life is no better than Indian Muslims. In 10 years time (looks like) Pakistani Muslims will be far behind. Indian Muslims are largely patriotic, liberal and open minded people. No wonder Indian Muslims consider themselves lucky to be called Indians are are very proud of it.
8) Opposite of secularism is fascism. Therefore it is better to be a flawed secular country rather than fascist one.

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I hope all those great minds who think that india should have remained undivided and that way muslims would have been better of, will try to expalin the surge in the economic level of muslims. To be the largest minority and be placed at the rock bottom of the socioeconomic ladder speaks for the conditions that are prevalent and obviously it is constructed by the state instruments.
I bet all those fine dining indian intellectuals who are constatntly trying to educate us on the Reforms being introduced by the indian governments are going to repeat themselves ,but here is what I would like to know.
Is this part of the great reform by the indian government to first pull the muslim population down to the level of the ground and then bring them up a few notches to say to them 'Hey look we are looking after your interst and very concerned for you, and you better say Yes!!'

bons

Minister (2k+ posts)
1) I fail to understand the logic, why would bank do that ( if this is true!!). Its stupid .... I haven't seen much of it in Indian media. As far as I know Muslims can open any account in any bank in India and they do. If bank did this solely because they were Muslims than this is gross violation of fundamental law of Indian Union. It would have created a huge uproar. I am inclined to think the reason must be different and not their faith.
2) Indian Muslims were and are behind most other populations in India. Lack of education being the major culprit. There are still million of Muslims who prefer to go to madrassa (or not study at all due to poverty) rather than government school (which is free). Once they finish it they will be useless for society and will not be able to compete with general population.
3) Situation of Muslim was poor even before the independence of India. There are no laws in India which discriminates minorities.
4) Government of India should do more for minorities. Already 2 states have introduced reservation for Muslims in schools and jobs.
5) In my opinion government should replace/reform Madrassa with schools. Bring special packages for education of Muslims . Empower Muslim women. Teach them about world religions/ cultures/ traditions so that they become/remain open minded and peaceful individuals.
6) There should be more Muslims in our armed forces and other government departments.
7) Majority of Pakistani Muslims life is no better than Indian Muslims. In 10 years time (looks like) Pakistani Muslims will be far behind. Indian Muslims are largely patriotic, liberal and open minded people. No wonder Indian Muslims consider themselves lucky to be called Indians are are very proud of it.
8) Opposite of secularism is fascism. Therefore it is better to be a flawed secular country rather than fascist one.

Zionist Hindu,
I only said that India should change its name to Hindu Republic of India and thats not a bad idea because practically India is a Hindu state. You gave a full fledge bhashan in response to a straightforward advice. Here are replies to your points.

1.) You can't close your eyes to the reality. That's what is actually happending in India. I have a Muslim colleague here. His parents are from India. He was born in UK and raised in USA and Canada. Three month ago he went to India for the first time. He visited Delhi and Agra. He told me that he and his brother were travelling in a rented. The driver's name was Arun. After a while they started chatting with the driver and the driver told them that he is a Muslim. His real name was Ahmed but he has to adopt a Hindu name to find a job. If he reveal his real name he will be fired. Hindu extremism is prevailing in India. In Mumbai, the economic capital of India, Muslims cannot even rent an apartment.

2.) You are right in saying "Muslims were and are behind most of population in India". But you reasoning is too narrow minded, typical excuse of a Hindu baniya. That's why we got Pakistan, a blessing of Allah the Almighty. InshaAllah another partition is in the making.

3) There are no laws, but Hindu majority is openly oppressing the minorities. Even your government and armed forces are also supporting them. Just do some googling and you will find the examples.

4) Reserving seat will not do the trick unless the Hindu mentality of oppression is changed. Which is very unlikely. The history has proved that Hindus only understand one language, bashing.

5) Government should replace/reform your asharms and ban the Hindu extremist parties. Islam gives more power to women than any other religion. Hindus are practicing the shameful practice of "Sati" even today.

6) I agree that there should be more Muslims in armed forces and governemnt department. But the mentality of majority population needs to be changed.

7) Are you kidding? Even your Hindu majority is not living a happy life in India. There is no comparison of Muslims of Pakistan and India. Muslims are always open minded but there are some requirements of survival in India. If they don't express their patriotism their life would become hell; which is already so difficult.

8) Are you educated in India? You can come to Pakistan for better education. Opposite of secular is spiritual or religious. Infact India is a Hindu state which only protects rights of upper caste Hindus. Practically nothing is secular about India. So why are you deceiving the whole world by your so called secularim? Just accept yourself as a Hindu state. After all Hindus are also Zionists.

Waseem

Staff member
India state-run banks 'turn away Muslims'

State-owned banks in India have been accused of discriminating against the country's Muslim minority.

India's minorities watchdog has received a record number of complaints from Muslims who say they have been prevented from opening bank accounts.

India's Muslim community is among the poorest in the country.

Some bankers say it is not so much their religious background, but their economic status that makes it hard for Muslims to get banking facilities.

The National Commission of Minorities says that there has been a 100% increase in the number of complaints it has received over the past year from Muslims who say they are being prevented from opening accounts in state-run banks.

Reports say the worst case took place in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, where some 90,000 Muslim students were unable to open accounts to deposit scholarship cheques given to them by the government.

Official reports frequently put Muslims at the bottom of India's social and economic ladder - even beneath than low-caste Hindus.

Their economic status means they are often excluded by private banks, which prefer more well-to-do clients.

Already a number of reports have suggested that India's Muslims fare poorly when it comes to getting access to quality education or employment opportunities.

This latest finding will add more pressure on a government which is seen as doing very little for the country's largest minority group.

Source

LeftBrain

MPA (400+ posts)
this is serious. If muslims are not encouraged for business or for even doing day to day activities with the help of loans, this could result in a further economic and social downfall of muslims in India.