Incompetence worse than corruption: Atif Mian

kayawish

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Incompetent can be and cannot be corrupt BUT a Corrupt is also 100% Incompetent.So with Incompetent leader u have 50/50 chance but with corrupt leader its sure he is also Incompetent.

Imran the legend

atif-mian.jpg

Pakistani-American economist Atif Mian put up a twitter poll on Wednesday that proved to be quite a discussion among the Twitterati.He asked if corruption is the bigger problem or incompetence, in the developing countries, Atif questions, “which one is the bigger constraint in the developing countries,” the poll had both ‘corruption of the elite’ and ‘incompetence of the elite’ as the answer.

View image on Twitter

The percentage was as followed, ‘corruption of elite’ had 60 percent of the votes and ‘incompetence of elite’ had 40 percent, which bagged Atif’s vote as well.

The economist stated while citing Saudi Arabia and China as examples, “I will go with the minority view on this poll and argue that incompetence is the bigger constraint on the development than corruption (of course ideally we want avoid both).”

He further added how China and Saudi Arabia have corruption at the top end regardless of being centralised powers. However, he said that the Chinese system encourages competition which leads to stronger productivity, appreciating the ‘growing pie’ which enables the centralised powers to stay longer. The Saudi Arabian system had failed to do something similar leading to no ‘dynamism’, hence leading to incompetent policies like ‘saudization’.

He continued: “The eventual success of a system relies on one key question: How effectively does it delegate power to the most competent? There is no doubt that corruption can come in the way of such delegation. But even a corrupt system can deliver if it finds a way to delegate to the competent.”

Atif Mian is also the author of the critically acclaimed book ‘House of Debt’ and was the former member in the Pakistan Economic Advisory Council, before he had to resign due to religious pressure he faced for his belief.

Good job pti has got rid of this clown corruption is more worst

expert analysis

Senator (1k+ posts)
when they are refused jobs, people like him become hussain haqqani and start writing to IMF and spreading lies that this country is doing genocide of minorities and all money will go to army or China
brother, universties honor feel kerti hy to have one lecture from atif...any way pak ma researchers ka kia idea... jahil logo ka mulak ..apni traf say atif mian per thoookny ki try ker rahy hy,osko job ka greedy keh ker,apny monh per hi gir rha hy thook plut ker....asad umer (Just MBA) Hammad Azhar ( Barrister,dealing as economist) ya oqat hy tum logo ki...

kakamuna420

brother, universties honor feel kerti hy to have one lecture from atif...any way pak ma researchers ka kia idea... jahil logo ka mulak ..apni traf say atif mian per thoookny ki try ker rahy hy,osko job ka greedy keh ker,apny monh per hi gir rha hy thook plut ker....asad umer (Just MBA) Hammad Azhar ( Barrister,dealing as economist) ya oqat hy tum logo ki...
which uni felt honored? I haven't heard one. to be honest, I didn't find his research to be remarkable. His book house of debt is nothing special. There are 100s of articles in WSJ and I would rather listen to Grundlach, Ray Dalio or Peter Schiff who are in the field and not sitting eating up grants at uni. My research and work in MMT would be much better than his own even thought I am a technologist.

kakamuna420

Our nation should do some soul searching. We have sent our talent outside of Pakistan and now inviting people born with a UK passport to head our economy. Therefore, the overseas Pakistanis don't want to come back because they know that talent and hard working has no place in the country.

Vitamin_C

Its not about you choose or prefer. Its about what eventually makes your financially better off.

So if this man had to choose between being born in a poor but honest household or a rich but lying no-ikhlaaq household he would choose the latter? And if morals dont mean anything and that they are placed below money then wouldn't this mean you would sell your own women if it was required?

Vitamin_C

Iwith corrupt leader its sure he is also Incompetent.

Not true. There are many people who are damn good at their jobs but supplement their income with money under the table. This can happen if people dont get compensated enough for their hard work. So they take what they believe is their rightful bonus but still do a good job at their work.

In Pakistan there is no example of a competent corrupt person. Its our badqismati that we get leaders like Bhuttos and Sharifs, who are both extremely incompetent and corrupt. So when you mention corruption, Pakistanis confuse it with incompetence.

Corruption happens in all countries, US probably loses 10x more money to corruption than Pakistan and Russia is alot more corrupt than Pakistan over all but they are doing better than us because they are more competent.

expert analysis

Senator (1k+ posts)
which uni felt honored? I haven't heard one. to be honest, I didn't find his research to be remarkable. His book house of debt is nothing special. There are 100s of articles in WSJ and I would rather listen to Grundlach, Ray Dalio or Peter Schiff who are in the field and not sitting eating up grants at uni. My research and work in MMT would be much better than his own even thought I am a technologist.
Check his resume and now share urs ...jealous people....

kakamuna420

Check his resume and now share urs ...jealous people....
aap hain kon, When you don't know the ABC of research and business then no need to consider you as a judge. People like you are slaves per Karl Marx of these Qadiani kings.
Sharing my CV would jeopardize my RSU and million dollar bonus.. lol
If you want an academic debate then bring out his studies and discuss their applications.

Last edited:

expert analysis

Senator (1k+ posts)
Its not about you choose or prefer. Its about what eventually makes your financially better off.
Agree with ur Preference part ,offcourse fundamental core of every person is prefrence .this is basic principal of economics that every agent wants to maximize its preference. Now next question does every person has financial preference...I dont agree the with this part...preferences not necessarily to be rational ..for example if u see in afhgan war many people sacrificed their luxury lifestyle and preferred religiuis ideology over to be financial better off...
Actually to live in pak their is no motivation as every one wants to be rich in pak .so to achieve this goal optimum choice is not to live in pak and choose some other places ...if we want to stop drain of human capital we need to change the dimension of society e.g justice even one dont have money, protection of respect, protection life etc ..

expert analysis

Senator (1k+ posts)
aap hain kon, When you don't know the ABC of research and business then no need to consider you as a judge. People like you are slaves per Karl Marx of these Qadiani kings.
Telling you my CV would jeopardize my RSU and million dollar bonus.. lol
Bro share ur reaserch I want compre with atif mian...empty bowl make only noise ....He is MIT graduated and princeton prof . U can only dream to be their I bet .;) I heard his conference in UC Davis ..I see claps for him after his lecture for at least 3 minutes ....please share ur resume

Last edited:

kayawish

Not true. There are many people who are damn good at their jobs but supplement their income with money under the table. This can happen if people dont get compensated enough for their hard work. So they take what they believe is their rightful bonus but still do a good job at their work.

In Pakistan there is no example of a competent corrupt person. Its our badqismati that we get leaders like Bhuttos and Sharifs, who are both extremely incompetent and corrupt. So when you mention corruption, Pakistanis confuse it with incompetence.

Corruption happens in all countries, US probably loses 10x more money to corruption than Pakistan and Russia is alot more corrupt than Pakistan over all but they are doing better than us because they are more competent.
magar bhai corruption has limits in US and Russia , Pakistan main tu in haramzadon ne puray puray bank hi nigal lyea ? agar 10 rupees main 10-15 rupees ki corruption ha jayee tu chalo admi accept kar le magar Pakistan main tu 100 rupees main yea log 101 rupees ka jate hain .. hain na achambe ki bath ?

expert analysis

Senator (1k+ posts)
magar bhai corruption has limits in US and Russia , Pakistan main tu in haramzadon ne puray puray bank hi nigal lyea ? agar 10 rupees main 10-15 rupees ki corruption ha jayee tu chalo admi accept kar le magar Pakistan main tu 100 rupees main yea log 101 rupees ka jate hain .. hain na achambe ki bath ?
Corruption pak ma bht hy I agree but 2007 ky bad asal issue ya hoa terrorism aur energy ki waja hy foreign investment khtm hu gai almost ...exports khtm ....wo increase honi chiy immediately...

Vitamin_C

Russia is more corruot than Pakistan on the corruption index.