IMRAN KHAN STARTS BIGGEST IT PROGRAMME PAKISTAN HAS EVER SEEN

Shahid Abassi

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Technology parks alone can't help. They need to establish many new IT educational institutions as against a demand of 25000 IT graduates, we produce only 5000 a year.
Secondly, the quality of our education must be enhanced. The IT graduates should be taught subjects like marketing and product development.
Thirdly, we also need IT experts with a vast knowledge of multiple fields at the same time. I have been told that there is a lot of IT expertise that is difficult to find in Pakistan.

iltaf

Technology parks alone can't help. They need to establish many new IT educational institutions as against a demand of 25000 IT graduates, we produce only 5000 a year.
Secondly, the quality of our education must be enhanced. The IT graduates should be taught subjects like marketing and product development.
Thirdly, we also need IT experts with a vast knowledge of multiple fields at the same time. I have been told that there is a lot of IT expertise that is difficult to find in Pakistan.
Good points, a small thing like tech online/offline video courses in local languages will highly improve the local talent esp in cutting edge technologies.

Shahid Abassi

Good points, a small thing like tech online/offline video courses in local languages will highly improve the local talent esp in cutting edge technologies.
Agreed. My son is a director of a big European IT house which employs about 350 developers in Pakistan and about 3000 elsewhere. The positive and the negatives about their facility in Pakistan is that their customers believe, the Pakistani developers are better than their Indian counterparts but they have difficulty in looking at the project from the customer and users' point of view. Technically they are good but that's it. They don't have international exposure or a marketing sense of the required level. Me being an MBA of older times and with vast experience in the west, think that our business schools and IT institutions need to collaborate in designing our IT education according to changing demands.

iltaf

Agreed. My son is a director of a big European IT house which employs about 350 developers in Pakistan and about 3000 elsewhere. The positive and the negatives about their facility in Pakistan is that their customers believe, the Pakistani developers are better than their Indian counterparts but they have difficulty in looking at the project from the customer and users' point of view. Technically they are good but that's it. They don't have international exposure or a marketing sense of the required level. Me being an MBA of older times and with vast experience in the west, think that our business schools and IT institutions need to collaborate in designing our IT education according to changing demands.

Yes sir, I agree. I studied from a renowned university in Pakistan but when started my career in software development, I had just core programming skills :( Now I own a software company in Pakistan and face the same issues i.e. polished talent is nowhere and we in our company usually work on polishing the skills for 3-6 months of competent young lads.

We have worked with Indians and they are crap, there will be great talent there as well. But my suggestion was for the masses who are not great in English so with local languages content, they can do wonders as our kids are alot sharper, in my humble opinion but yes, as you said, exposure from a customer's perspective is highly needed as well and that can be done with some partnerships with local or abroad IT firms like internships etc. based on a preset criteria.

Last edited:

Rambler

Software developers with marketing skills - Are you in the right frame of mind. These are two very separate fields. What is lacking in educational institutions even in the west is the abstract level systems thinking. Also you cannot produce quality developers without a firm grounding in Mathematics. Coding is and will get automated further but its the ability to recognise patterns and apply these to problems in different situations and fields is what is lacking.