Hijab wearing police officer's photo makes powerful statement in wake of Christchurch mosque shootings

naveed

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
1553228788705.jpg

Police officer Constable Michelle Evans in hijab with a rifle and rose outside Christchurch Memorial Park Cemetery, as victims of the mosque shootings are buried.

First it was the image of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern wearing a hijab that captured the world's attention.
Now a photograph of a young female police officer guarding the Memorial Park Cemetery in Christchurch on Thursday is being shared widely.

It's a powerful image that combines solemnity, respect and protection.Constable Michelle Evans is wearing a Calvin Klein scarf over her head, a red rose on her chest and is holding a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle.

Stuff photographer Alden Williams said it was the mix together of the those three items that caught his eye.

"I've taken photos of police for a long long time but a combination of hijab, assault rifle and rose is something I've never seen before. Even if she had been only wearing one of them it would have something different."

Williams said most of the media seemed to be focusing on the arrival of the Mongrel Mob with families at the cemetery, where shooting victims were being buried.

"If anything she was kind of being overlooked."

1553228788705.jpg

Constable Michelle Evans stands guard.

The photo was published in Stuff's live blog and was shared rapidly.Williams also posted the photo on his Instagram and said in just a couple of hours had got more likes than any other.Comments include: "This image so strikingly captures NZ's example of tolerance, compassion and humanity, and should be seen as far and wide possible."

And "this photo is so incredible, beautiful and powerful".

Evans grew up in Whanganui and joined the police there.In a 2016 profile in the Whanganui Chronicle ,when she was 22, she said wanted to be a police officer from a young age.

"I wanted to work with the community that I was brought up in really, and just help people. It's a satisfying job knowing that you're going out there and that's what you're getting paid to do, is help people."

She enjoyed frontline work and said even though people were hostile at the start, they would often calm down when she and other officers began dealing with them.

"They know that we're going to have to solve the situation. We're not going to leave until we know everybody's safe."

Last edited by a moderator:

ram dar

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
1553228788705.jpg

Police officer Constable Michelle Evans in hijab with a rifle and rose outside Christchurch Memorial Park Cemetery, as victims of the mosque shootings are buried.

First it was the image of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern wearing a hijab that captured the world's attention.
Now a photograph of a young female police officer guarding the Memorial Park Cemetery in Christchurch on Thursday is being shared widely.

It's a powerful image that combines solemnity, respect and protection.Constable Michelle Evans is wearing a Calvin Klein scarf over her head, a red rose on her chest and is holding a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle.

Stuff photographer Alden Williams said it was the mix together of the those three items that caught his eye.

"I've taken photos of police for a long long time but a combination of hijab, assault rifle and rose is something I've never seen before. Even if she had been only wearing one of them it would have something different."

Williams said most of the media seemed to be focusing on the arrival of the Mongrel Mob with families at the cemetery, where shooting victims were being buried.

"If anything she was kind of being overlooked."

1553228788705.jpg

Constable Michelle Evans stands guard.

The photo was published in Stuff's live blog and was shared rapidly.Williams also posted the photo on his Instagram and said in just a couple of hours had got more likes than any other.Comments include: "This image so strikingly captures NZ's example of tolerance, compassion and humanity, and should be seen as far and wide possible."

And "this photo is so incredible, beautiful and powerful".

Evans grew up in Whanganui and joined the police there.In a 2016 profile in the Whanganui Chronicle ,when she was 22, she said wanted to be a police officer from a young age.

"I wanted to work with the community that I was brought up in really, and just help people. It's a satisfying job knowing that you're going out there and that's what you're getting paid to do, is help people."

She enjoyed frontline work and said even though people were hostile at the start, they would often calm down when she and other officers began dealing with them.

"They know that we're going to have to solve the situation. We're not going to leave until we know everybody's safe."

Lol
Propaganda to make some bigots happy .

jani1

ویسے اس تصویر کو دیکھ کے تو لنڈے کے لبرلز کی ماں مر گئی ہوگی جو کہتے تھے کہ 'اگر دوپٹہ اتنا پسند ہے تو خود اوڑ لو'۔۔۔
ماں بھی اور باپ بھی۔۔

shaheenzafar

MPA (400+ posts)
عورت مارچ کے مظاہروں میں لنڈے کے انگریز عرف دیسی لبرلز نے یہ ثابت کرنے کی کوشش کی کہ دوپٹہ انتہائی بری چیز ہے جبکہ اوریجنل لبرلز کو بھی معلوم ہے دوپٹہ مسلمان عورتوں کی عبادت بھی ہے اور پہچان بھی ہے اس لیے وہ سکارف اور دوپٹہ پہن کر تقاریب میں شریک ہورہے ہیں

jani1

عورت مارچ کے مظاہروں میں لنڈے کے انگریز عرف دیسی لبرلز نے یہ ثابت کرنے کی کوشش کی کہ دوپٹہ انتہائی بری چیز ہے جبکہ اوریجنل لبرلز کو بھی معلوم ہے دوپٹہ مسلمان عورتوں کی عبادت بھی ہے اور پہچان بھی ہے اس لیے وہ سکارف اور دوپٹہ پہن کر تقاریب میں شریک ہورہے ہیں
ساٹھ ستر کی دھائ تک۔۔سکارف اوڑھنا انگریزوں اور امریکیوں وغیرہ میں بھی عام تھا۔۔۔پرانی فلموں میں یہی فیشن دیکھنے کو ملتا ہے۔۔

Humi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
ویسے اس تصویر کو دیکھ کے تو لنڈے کے لبرلز کی ماں مر گئی ہوگی جو کہتے تھے کہ 'اگر دوپٹہ اتنا پسند ہے تو خود اوڑ لو'۔۔۔
Non Muslims wear hijab as a sign of solidarity towards Muslim women as their hijab is a symbol of the religion which makes them a vulnerable target for bigots. So like intolerant Muslim men to take an action meant to show solidarity with Muslim women to trash other women they deem less "Islamic". Two sides of the same coin, really.

bigfoot

Minister (2k+ posts)
what is difference between scarf and dupatta?

Waqitos

Senator (1k+ posts)
Kahan gaey wo jahil log jo kahtay thay k Christians aur jews hamaray dost nahi ho saktay? Kash in logo nay Quran tafseer k saath parha hota tab pata chalta k Quran kis reference main baat kar raha hai. Hint: Sulah Hudaibiya.

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)
Non Muslims wear hijab as a sign of solidarity towards Muslim women as their hijab is a symbol of the religion which makes them a vulnerable target for bigots. So like intolerant Muslim men to take an action meant to show solidarity with Muslim women to trash other women they deem less "Islamic". Two sides of the same coin, really.

Less than 0.01% think so. And your comments has nothing to do with my post. You are not getting what am I trying to say.

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)
ساٹھ ستر کی دھائ تک۔۔سکارف اوڑھنا انگریزوں اور امریکیوں وغیرہ میں بھی عام تھا۔۔۔پرانی فلموں میں یہی فیشن دیکھنے کو ملتا ہے۔۔
اسی، 80، کی دہائی تک انکی خواتین کے لباس بھی اسلام کے قریب تھے لیکن معلوم نہیں کن خبیثوں نے خواتین کو 'آزادی اور ماڈرنزم' کا ٹیکہ لگا دیا