'Gunah tax' to be imposed on smokers

Green Inside

Senator (1k+ posts)
As an ex smoker, I can say cost was one of the major factors which made me quit
bahi jo banson petat hai wo gold leaf per aa jieay jo gold leaf per hai wo capston per aur jo capston per hai wo marvon per aa jieay ga , marvon wala beeri per aa jieay ga .. lakin quit koe ni karay ga .

webnise

MPA (400+ posts)
ISLAMABAD: Taking another revolutionary measure in health sector, the government has decided to impose ‘Gunnah Tax’ (Sin Tax) on cigarette smokers across the country, ARY News reported.

Sources said the federal government was excogitating over different options as high-level consultation meetings are underway in this regard.

ARY News correspondent Jahangir Khan said the centre had decided to levy the sin tax on smoking tobacco. “The earning from this tax would be expended on welfare of masses under Prime Minister National Health Programme,” he said.

This step will likely climb cigarette prices as earning through this tax is estimated to be in billions of rupees. It is also pertinent to mention that this tax is not new to the world as it has already been introduced in some of the European Union countries in different forms and in Philippines it has been imposed with passing of Sin Tax Reform bill.

According to a World Health Organisation report, “Within the first year of passing the bill, Philippines raised more than USD$1.2 billion and allowed the Philippines to provide health care to an additional 14 million families or roughly 45 million Filipinos.”

Jahangir Khan said a tax of around 5 to 15 rupees a packet was also expected to be levied.

According to government sources, more than four billions of cigarette packs are sold across the country a year.

Sin Tax is being anticipated to generate billions of rupees tax to the public exchequer.

Source

bhaibarood

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Hoping for this great step for a long time...

naam change karlo , tax sahi hai!
should be 200 Rs per cigarette

Gunnah tax on cigarette!!!
what about heroine and cocaine ??
what about Teyriaan

kia woh sab gunnah nahi tha !

kia yeh khull tazaad nahi

پیر جی

Councller (250+ posts)
قوم کے پہلے گناہ کچھ کم پڑ گئے تھے کہ ایک اور کا اضافہ کردیا گیا، لگتا ہے کہ عمران خان کے مشیر انتہای طفلانہ سوچ کے حامل ہیں شائداسی لئے عجیب وغریب فیصلے کرکے پھر ان پر یوٹرن لیا جاتا ہے
سیگریٹ ایک عادت ہے دیگر عادات کی طرح اس پر ٹیکس لگائیں مگر گناہ ثواب کا فیصلہ اللہ پر چھوڑ دیں

kasa_diya

Councller (250+ posts)
Sin tax ?? is this for real ?? WTF !! Who decided it was a "Sin" to smoke a cigarette ?
IK needs to seriously review his team, I'm sure there are many snakes who's trying to take his Govt down the shit hole.

Humi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
What's the need of calling it a gunnah tax unless the state wants to say you are allowed to commit the "gunnah" as long as you are priveleged enough to have enough money to pay off the tax?

Sickening use of language to weaponize religion here. Just call it a luxury item tax or health related tax etc. Kindly stop maligning religious sentiments and feeding religious extremism. What's next? Gunnah tax for not praying? Mind your own business and stop policing people by labeling their actions "gunnah".

Humi

As an ex smoker, I can say cost was one of the major factors which made me quit

I am not sure what the stats are in Pakistan but in North America, people living near the poverty line and with lesser education tend to smoke at higher rates than the rest of the general population.

rolnrol

MPA (400+ posts)
This is stupid to name it gunah tax . If this is actually the case then simply ban smoking like any other drug . What a way to declare your righteous. Imran khan seems to be a narcissist

Will_Bite

Sin tax ?? is this for real ?? WTF !! Who decided it was a "Sin" to smoke a cigarette ?
IK needs to seriously review his team, I'm sure there are many snakes who's trying to take his Govt down the shit hole.

Not sure where you have been, but this is a very common and typical tax levied on products that are considered sinful for the body. Excise tax on tobacco products, soft drinks, power drinks etc have been levied in the US since the 90s....and 2 years ago, it was introduced in the UAE with good results. Either it improves govt revenue, or it improves peoples health.

This was a long time coming. Pakistanis should be rid of tobacco products, and the illegal under market of nuswar, paan and ghutka should be eliminated as well.

Shareef

Minister (2k+ posts)
Why involve religion in it? This is the same mindset which says if you recite durood sharif once or any particular soorah once, 2000 sins will be pardoned.etc. No tax can justify gunah. Let gunah be dealt with by abstaining from gunah, not imposing tax on it . You may name this tax as 'health tax' if you wish.

Will_Bite

Why involve religion in it? .

This reference of 'sin tax' is commonly used across the world for excise tax on tobacco, alcohol, power drinks, soft drinks etc. Its metaphorical, as using these things are 'sinful' to the body. They dont do any good, but provide temporary pleasure.