Govt Soon to Invite PayPal, Amazon and Ebay for Operations in Pakistan: Anusha

Uncle Q

Minister (2k+ posts)
Anusha_Rehman.jpg

Pakistan has finally made all prerequisite regulatory arrangements needed for global tech companies to start their operations in Pakistan, said Anusha Rehman, Minister for State for IT and Telecom, here at a conference organized by GSMA in Islamabad.

Anusha said that Pakistan is now ranked in FATFs white-list, meaning that Pakistan has now internationally accepted anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing standards in place which were previously not available.
Pakistan, until recently was listed in grey-list of FATF (Financial Action Task Force), which potentially blocked the way of global tech companies, such as PayPal, Amazon etc. in starting their operations in Pakistan.

Pakistan is now ranked in FATFs white-list, meaning that Pakistan has now internationally accepted anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing standards in place

Anusha further revealed that State Bank of Pakistan is already working with partners for the opening up of payment gateway in Pakistan, after which Government is now working on framework for ecommerce to address consumers rights, dispute resolutions and all sorts of procedural and mechanical challenges of eommerce industry.
Minister said that the working on regulatory framework for ecommerce industry is lead by Ministry of Commerce, while Ministry of IT and State Bank of Pakistan are assisting in the formulation of protocols for ecommerce industry.
Ms. Rehman said that this framework will be formulated with-in next few weeks after which all current issues and challenges of ecommerce industry will be addressed.

She said that soon Pakistan is going to invite global tech companies including PayPal, Amazon and eBay to start their operations in Pakistan.

Ministry of Commerce, assisted by MoIT and SBP, is formulating the framework for ecommerce industry

Ms. Rehman said that her ministry is making all possible efforts, positive measures and incremental steps in every direction to make sure that ICT is used at fullest to contribute towards economic growth of the country and to enhance common mans lifestyle.
She said that direction has been set, however, a lot is still to be done and all stakeholders should work together in achieving the goal.

She said that we have to become a strategic enabler to become an ecosystem that would spur the economic growth to ultimately make us an knowledge based economy.

http://propakistani.pk/2015/11/24/g...n-and-ebay-for-operations-in-pakistan-anusha/

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Too good to be true. These services(Specially Paypal) are best and will be helpful for the third largest country in terms of Freelancers.

mujh92

MPA (400+ posts)
These companies are invited to do bussiness in Pakistan but I am unable to understand how they operate as other infrastructer required is not in place.

aqeel813

Minister (2k+ posts)
Too good to be true. These services(Specially Paypal) are best and will be helpful for the third largest country in terms of Freelancers.

You don't have experience of Amazon then. I would say the best online place to buy on the whole planet. A few days ago they started a service of same day delivery. Means you order in the morning and receive it in the evening. Believe me pakistanis do need Amazon. Not a big fan of ebay though.

Ali raza babar

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
You don't have experience of Amazon then. I would say the best online place to buy on the whole planet. A few days ago they started a service of same day delivery. Means you order in the morning and receive it in the evening. Believe me pakistanis do need Amazon. Not a big fan of ebay though.

ebay is the land of cheap knock offs

aqeel813

Minister (2k+ posts)
ebay is the land of cheap knock offs

You are right. I prefer amazon due to many things. The best is user comments. They given you every information about goods and bads of the product. Secondly, return policy is awesome. Thirdly, delivery options and so on...

But the main difference: Amazon is itself a seller but ebay isn't. I would gladly pay a few more bucks to buy directly from amazon instead of buying from third party via amazon...

Ali raza babar

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
You are right. I prefer amazon due to many things. The best is user comments. They given you every information about goods and bads of the product. Secondly, return policy is awesome. Thirdly, delivery options and so on...

But the main difference: Amazon is itself a seller but ebay isn't. I would gladly pay a few more bucks to buy directly from amazon instead of buying from third party via amazon...

yeah and if u wanna be a seller on amazon specially in some categories like jewelry and clothing, you're bound to fulfill a criterion.

Gotta have a website and atleast 400 products with a given dimension. now thats some criterion

aqeel813

Minister (2k+ posts)
yeah and if u wanna be a seller on amazon specially in some categories like jewelry and clothing, you're bound to fulfill a criterion.

Gotta have a website and atleast 400 products with a given dimension. now thats some criterion

Exactly. If I am a seller, my first stop will be ebay but if I am a buyer, I will prefer amazon over ebay. :)

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Thanks for the info and while Paypal will give Freelancers easy revenue(which currently they do through various indirect and expensive sources), Ebay in this case might provide many jobs to local people because ultimately the delivery will be done by people and there will be a need for local offices and people, specially for the same day delivery service like you said..

Last edited:

aqeel813

Minister (2k+ posts)
Thanks for the info and while Paypal will give Freelancers easy revenue(which currently they do through various indirect and expensive sources), Ebay in this case might provide many jobs to professionals because ultimately the delivery will be done by people and there will need to be set offices for it too giving more jobs to local population..

You are definitely right. These are big giants and can invest a lot and it will be good for the locals as they require a lot of workforce. Not only this, but this will improve the post system of the country.

Furthermore, paypal will not only be good for free lancers, but it will also improve online businesses due to easy transactions and buyers-protection.