FBR to grill 24,000 Pakistanis for buying dollars in bulk

webnise

MPA (400+ posts)
LAHORE:

The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has obtained the data of 24,000 Pakistanis who had bought large sums of dollars during the fiscal year 2017-18.

The officials of the board are investigating the tax records of these individuals and preparing to grill them.

According to FBR sources, 9,880 of these people are based in Lahore.

The board has sent the list of their names to the Regional Tax Office in Lahore and they will be issued notices.

The FBR will ask them about the sources of income that allowed them to buy dollars in large quantities.

Many of these individuals, the sources added, had withdrawn money from their bank accounts to evade withholding tax and invested it in dollars, pounds, euros and gold.

The government had launched a crackdown last year on those involved in dollar hoarding and speculative currency trade.

It was initiated in coordination with the State Bank of Pakistan and the finance ministry.

Asad Umar, the then finance minister, had maintained that speculations in the local money market had depreciated the rupee against the greenback.

Several money exchange companies were raided across the country as the government accused them of creating an “artificial crisis” by hoarding dollars and involvement in the illegal Hawala and Hundi business.

Source

disgusted

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Don't spare any crook.
We have allowed the biggest crooks to go abroad. NAB and corrupt judiciary is the biggest facilitators of the corrupt. As most cases are in Lahore then Lohar High court will rescue them. Do not get your hopes high. It will be another disappointment. We are a nation of sheep.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Haram khor zakheera andoz harami. Hoard dollars at lower rate and then drive the price up and then sell it at high profit.

islamabadi

Minister (2k+ posts)
Abhey ullu k pathey....Speculators exist in EVERY country in the world. there is NO LAW against buying dollars in 99% of the countries in the world....you were not able to nab speculators because of your incompetence ...the onus is on YOU FBR to prove that money used to buy dollars was illegal ...accused are PRESUMED INNOCENT until proven guilty.....here the FBR is presuming they are GUILTY until they prove innocence. the onus is on FBR to prove their guilt. The money could have been earned 10 years ago for which NO proof is required to be maintained. By law only proof of income up to a maximum of 5 years has to be kept in document form....not frmo 10 years ago not frmo 20 years ago. If I earned 10,000 dollars 10 years ago I am supposed to keep a proof for the next 5 years not my entire life. LAANTION ki hakumat hai ye

Tit4Tat

Minister (2k+ posts)
Abhey ullu k pathey....Speculators exist in EVERY country in the world. there is NO LAW against buying dollars in 99% of the countries in the world....you were not able to nab speculators because of your incompetence ...the onus is on YOU FBR to prove that money used to buy dollars was illegal ...accused are PRESUMED INNOCENT until proven guilty.....here the FBR is presuming they are GUILTY until they prove innocence. the onus is on FBR to prove their guilt. The money could have been earned 10 years ago for which NO proof is required to be maintained. By law only proof of income up to a maximum of 5 years has to be kept in document form....not frmo 10 years ago not frmo 20 years ago. If I earned 10,000 dollars 10 years ago I am supposed to keep a proof for the next 5 years not my entire life. LAANTION ki hakumat hai ye

Tik tok govt

asifA1

Minister (2k+ posts)
Corruption & not following rules to cheaters must be caught and inside Pakistan people should learn to do things the legal way.