Minister (2k+ posts)
The strangest selection

Iftikhar Ahmed, Fawad Alam
(and hundreds of other Pakistanis)
Most months, most years
By Imran Yusuf

31934.jpg
194751.1.jpg

Across the world in recent months some bizarre selections have stuck out like a man in a tight pink suit at the funeral of a mullah.

There's Donald Trump's selection for president by the American electorate, when Hillary Clinton is far more qualified. There's Marouane Fellaini's selection by Jose Mourinho as a steadying substitute, when Bastian Schweinsteiger is far more qualified. There's the Swedish Academy's selection of Bob Dylan for the Nobel Prize in Literature, when the people who will write comments at the bottom of this piece are far more qualified.

In Pakistan, though, the natives have treated these shocking picks like water off a duck's back while the duck sits in a jacuzzi, listening to a meditation CD of water sounds. For Pakistanis, strange selections are the norm. And even in a country where Nawaz Sharif has been chosen by the people to be their prime minister not once, not twice, but three times, no institution has as rich and varied a history of strange selections as the Pakistan cricket team.

Every Pakistan follower has a favourite selection: one where some young, unknown, unfancied raw talent bursts onto the scene like a man in a tight pink suit at the funeral of a mullah breaking out into a Prince guitar solo after the last rites. These fans have even more infamous selections, where, due to one of many possible reasons, somebody turns up, fails, and is never seen again: "We don't have a proper domestic system, yaar, these guys aren't tested"; "It's pure sifarish, yaar, he's the chief selector's son's teacher's cook's former barber's (parted ways over a moustache trimmed too short) sister-in-law's son."

Never seen again, that is, until you are at a wedding decades later and your friend points at someone overenthusiastically scooping from the deep dish of chicken pilau and says, "That's Moshin-e-Akbar", and you say, "And I'm Buttu Butt the Third, so what?" And he says, "No, you South Punjabi ignoramus, he played the first Test against Australia in 1995," and you shrug and go back to overenthusiastically watching the bride's girlfriends' synchronised dance.

"Every Pakistan follower has a favourite selection: one where some young, unknown, unfancied raw talent bursts onto the scene like a man in a tight pink suit at the funeral of a mullah breaking out into a Prince guitar solo"

The most recent of these is probably Iftikhar Ahmed, who turned up for the Test series in England last summer, failed, and has never been seen since. A friend put it somewhat cruelly - "He can't bat, he can't bowl, he can't field, and if you ask him his name, he'll probably screw that up" - but cruelty is part of the high stakes of international cricket. (Cruelty is also the main part of the mostly sadistic practice that is being a sports fan, but we'll leave this for the special Freudian issue of the Cricket Monthly that I wait for in vain.)

Pakistan also has many cases of the inverse problem: the renowned non-selection. No individual has been more unfairly condemned to this purgatory in recent years than a tiny man with a gargantuan first-class record: he of the Test century on debut batting out of position: Fawad Alam. The better he has done, the less chance he has had of being selected. I have been told by a good source at the PCB that it's the diminutive size of his arms that puts off selectors. "They're just too small," one chief selector supposedly said. In our data-driven age, this is a strange comment; I'm sure it could also form part of the forthcoming Freud edition.

Despite such injustices, I welcome Pakistan's bizarre selections. For a start, they mirror life. Who among us hasn't had some unfair advantage: the extra tuition paid by our parents that helped us get into that college; the friend who helped get us that internship; the pure dumb luck to be born into a class or in a country at a particularly fortunate moment? And who among us has not been able to have a crack at something for no good reason? For me, this was piano lessons. My parents paid for them because I thought I was Mozart. I was not. There is some poor kid out there in some slum who actually is Mozart - but we'll never know.

The counterargument is that in a world where the dice are loaded, the closest we get to pure meritocracy is sport. To which I say, "Utter tosh, old trout" and point to the British gold medal winners from this year's Olympics. The dice are always loaded and strange selections help reveal this.

So I hope to see more oddball picks from Pakistan. They are like that man in the tight pink suit. Probably a mistake; rather inappropriate; almost certainly in the wrong place at the wrong time; but you just can't help watching for what happens next.

source:

Last edited:

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Fawad Alam has no batting technique at all. He is well and truly a mediocre street player - even club players have some established technique and prowess in their field. Don't know why people are honking horns for him. If you ever watched his batting in one complete inning, you would definitely see more fluke technique than an acquired one.

He sometimes even gets down to the level of street players of 'GULLI DANDA'... See him playing the England's spinner Swan, and see how England fielders are amazed on his ability to make an exhibition of himself by trying to play 'tukka strokes' to the bowler.

Forget about others, just watch his 'best and the longest' inning and let me know if you found one classy shot, one grounded stroke he played on his own volition.

That's all what he is... Don't know why some people are bent upon discovering a Bradman in him.

knowledge88

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Fawad Alam has no batting technique at all. He is well and truly a mediocre street player - even club players have some established technique and prowess in their field. Don't know why people are honking horns for him. If you ever watched his batting in one complete inning, you would definitely see more fluke technique than an acquired one.

He sometimes even gets down to the level of street players of 'GULLI DANDA'... See him playing the England's spinner Swan, and see how England fielders are amazed on his ability to make an exhibition of himself by trying to play 'tukka strokes' to the bowler.

Forget about others, just watch his 'best and the longest' inning and let me know if you found one classy shot, one grounded stroke he played on his own volition.

That's all what he is... Don't know why some people are bent upon discovering a Bradman in him.
Fawad Alam has played 145 first class matches. His current first class batting average is 55. Do you know any other pakistani batsman with that high batting average in the first class for such a long time and still not picked for the test. Look at Imam ulHaq. His first class batting average is only 33 and he got picked to play test. His test batting average is 28 and he is a regular.

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Fawad Alam has played 145 first class matches. His current first class batting average is 55. Do you know any other pakistani batsman with that high batting average in the first class for such a long time and still not picked? Look at Imam ulHaq. His first class batting average is 33 and he got picked to play test. His test batting average is 28 and he is a regular.

number of matches....average in batting....that make him shine on paper....but he doesn't have an iota of solid technique as a batsman. Seeing is believing....Just sit down and watch his 'matchless' technique on TV...I am sure you'll become his FAN.

Xiggs

I would disgree to the point that fawad alam is the most technically sound test batsman pakistan have right now. He may not be limited overs' material but no one beats him in test.

On the other hand the biggest parchi is imam ul haq who has absolutely no talent but nepotism has been riding his back for quite some time but let's see for how long...

knowledge88

In cricket, batting average is the best criteria to judge a batsman.
Just one question. If his batting technique is so bad then how did he manage to achieve the highest batting average in first class amongst all the batsmen of this country?[/QUOTE]

Complete Sense

Minister (2k+ posts)
number of matches....average in batting....that make him shine on paper....but he doesn't have an iota of solid technique as a batsman. Seeing is believing....Just sit down and watch his 'matchless' technique on TV...I am sure you'll become his FAN.
Did you really saw him playing cricket? Who are you to judge him that he has no technique? Are you expert in batting?...You must be joking on this forum....:)

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Did you really saw him playing cricket? Who are you to judge him that he has no technique? Are you expert in batting?...You must be joking on this forum....:)

Well, if I am joking on this forum....and you are an oracle on cricket batting..Let me know in two sentences what do we mean by 'BATTING TECHNIQUE'.

knowledge88

By the way I have Just one question. If his batting technique is so bad then how did he manage to achieve the highest batting average in first class amongst all the batsmen of this country?

Tochan

Voter (50+ posts)

What a doosh you are , clearly no sense of cricket. Where are you going to take all these classy shots , if they can't win us games. shove em up yours ? He has always given game winning performances. the year he played last where he helped pakistan winning asia cup his average was above 60 for that year in international cricket.

He is not fancy on paper only, he has also proven himself on the field. People would say his standing stance is wierd, but then look at javed miandad standing stance , it was unorthodox as well. Besides technique there are two more things which makes a player greate , talent and temperament which he has. On the other and current players in pakistan team now even though few of them have talent but none of them has temperament. And this is what makes Fawad Alam Classy.

israr0333

Minister (2k+ posts)
191900_9644108_updates.jpg

If I were captain, Fawad Alam would be in my Test team: Younis Khan

insouciant

Minister (2k+ posts)
I don't follow cricket but in my humble opinion I'd rate anyone who has the results higher than anyone who has the "technique". He is paid to deliver runs not "technique".

Similarly, I'd vote for anyone next time who'd deliver(Pervaiz Khattak) rather than someone who can talk (Showbaz/Billo) since a politician is elected to deliver rather than give speeches!

Well, if I am joking on this forum....and you are an oracle on cricket batting..Let me know in two sentences what do we mean by 'BATTING TECHNIQUE'.

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
By the way I have Just one question. If his batting technique is so bad then how did he manage to achieve the highest batting average in first class amongst all the batsmen of this country?
O ji uska tukka lag gia hay? Ab is mein kia?

Complete Sense

Minister (2k+ posts)
First go and learn cricket and than i will tell you batting technique......i hope you will send me fotos while learning cricket.. otherwise no use of writing me back....

WatanDost

فواد الم غلم کی سادہ سی مثال ابھی نندن سے دی جا سکتی ہے
گھر (ڈومسٹک / فرسٹ کلاس) میں شیر ، وقت پڑے تو ڈھیر

WatanDost

If you can score runs at an average of 55 , you deserve to be in the national team.

Period.
Batting and fielding averages
MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR100504s6sCtSt
Tests36025016841.6644156.681023130
ODIs383612966114*40.25129774.4716596100
T20Is241761942817.63169114.79007770
First-class1552454111441296*56.083058790
List A20317944657714948.71840800
T20s120982522587030.931893119.2801318234350