Every fourth person in Pakistan has diabetes-I

Imran the legend

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Dia2.png

6th nternational Diabetes Conference organised by Sanofi and DAP concludes

KARACHI: Sanofi and the Diabetic Association of Pakistan (DAP) collaborated to bring to Pakistan renowned international diabetes experts from globally recognized centres of academic excellence to address the “Sanofi International Diabetes Conference”.

The conference was held in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad for the sixth consecutive year. The event brought together the following global diabetes experts onto a common platform to share their opinions, insights, perspectives and best practices with healthcare professionals from across Pakistan.

Eating-well-with-diabetes-North-India-and-Pakistan-diets-resized.jpg

Prof. Gerry Rayman:

Head of Service at the Diabetes and Endocrine Centre, the Diabetic Foot Clinic and lead of the Diabetes Research Unit, Ipswich Hospitals NHS Trust, UK

Prof. Rhys Williams:

Professor of Clinical Epidemiology, Deputy Head of the College of Medicine, Swansea University, UK

Prof. A. Samad Shera:

Secretary-General of the Diabetic Association of Pakistan; Honorary President International Diabetes Federation (IDF); Head of World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre.

Speakers at the conference highlighted the criticality of good diabetes management by healthcare professionals in line with the latest scientific research in tandem with adherence by patients to prescribed therapies, oral or injected (insulin). This partnership between doctors and patients is essential to avoid or delay the onset of complications.

images

This year there was particular emphasis on complications pertaining to Diabetic Foot Disease. Speaking on “Screening and Prevention of Diabetic Foot Disease” Prof. Gerry Rayman said “neuropathy is common in people with diabetes because high blood sugar damages nerve fibres. A poorly controlled patient may have nerve damage leading to loss of sensation in his/her feet or other extremities. A thorough foot examination is important to detect the disease early. Screening for peripheral neuropathy and peripheral arterial disease can help identify patients at risk of foot ulcers.”

Secretary-General of the Diabetic Association of Pakistan (DAP) and Honorary President International Diabetes Federation (IDF), Prof. A. Samad Shera, stressed the need for healthier lifestyle and regular screening for diabetes, particularly for those at high risk.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyeaan

Very doubtful numbers.
What is exact detail and qualification of this statistics in the research paper?

Imran the legend

Very doubtful numbers.
What is exact detail and qualification of this statistics in the research paper?
Instead of doubting everything learn from it and improve your diets strop eating high sugar , high salts, oils. Learn good things from rich countries instead of sending your top crook leaders Nawaz zardari rob you keep you poor and give you lot diseases and you doubting this report.
The best thing you should have doubted was why after so many years of Panama and Swiss why still crooks are out on bail? Is the public sleeping? Why they not protesting that they want looted money back and these crooks hanged.
Doubt the menatality Of people that suppport crooks and listen to lafafa journalist fake news daily.

Eyeaan

Instead of doubting everything learn from it and improve your diets strop eating high sugar , high salts, oils. Learn good things from rich countries instead of sending your top crook leaders Nawaz zardari rob you keep you poor and give you lot diseases and you doubting this report.
The best thing you should have doubted was why after so many years of Panama and Swiss why still crooks are out on bail? Is the public sleeping? Why they not protesting that they want looted money back and these crooks hanged.
Doubt the menatality Of people that suppport crooks and listen to lafafa journalist fake news daily.
Sorry if I did some wrong!
The matter is about science and statistics and not about politics or anyone's diet. I asked for the original report so the readers can make better sense of these numbers, because the numbers in the heading of the post seem quite doubtful. Of course the number in the report refer to some demographic of the population.
If you have any further information - that's ok and if you don't have any, that's also fine.

Without getting into any needless argument, neither I oppose nooras based on some random political advice nor I set my diet based on some news report. Perhaps i may have a bit more experience of 'rich' countries and academia over ther
e- so please calm down.
Sensationalism in health related news reports is a common problem here and everywhere.