Comey Confirms F.B.I. Inquiry Into Trump Campaign Links to Russian Hackers; Sees No Evidence of Wire

naveed

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
■ The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, publicly confirmed an investigation into Russian interference in the presidential election and whether associates of the president were in contact with Moscow.

■ Mr. Comey also said the F.B.I. had no information to support President Trumps allegation that Barack Obama wiretapped him.
■ The hearings featured witnesses: Mr. Comey and Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency.

Comey confirms F.B.I. investigation into Russian election interference

The F.B.I. is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible links between the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination, Mr. Comey said.
Continue reading the main story

Mr. Comey said that it was unusual for the F.B.I. to confirm or deny the existence of any investigations, but that in unusual circumstances when it is in the public interest, the bureau will sometimes discuss such matters.

This is one of those circumstances, he said.

The F.B.I., as part of our counterintelligence effort, is investigating the Russian governments efforts to interfere in the 2016 president election, he continued, adding that the investigation included looking at whether associates of Mr. Trump were in contact with Russian officials, and whether they colluded with them.

Admiral Rogers made it clear that Russian efforts to interfere in democratic elections were not a one-off intrusion. They continue now in Europe.Weve seen some of the same things weve seen in the U.S. in terms of disinformation, fakes news, he said.

President Trump, offering commentary on Twitter, put the best spin on it, noting that the witnesses did not say Russian hackers had changed vote tallies.

Last edited by a moderator: