China's top coronavirus expert predicts the pandemic will reach 'a turning

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
  • The estimate comes from Dr Zhong Nanshan, Beijing's chief medical advisor
  • He forecast the number of new confirmed cases to decline at the end of April
  • He also projected that China would not see a second wave due to its monitoring
  • The coronavirus pandemic has claimed more than 30,000 lives in Europe alone
26679782-8176375-image-a-5_1585749676987.jpg

Beijing's chief medical advisor has claimed that the coronavirus pandemic will likely reach a turning point at the end of the month.

The prediction comes from Dr Zhong Nanshan, the leader of a team of experts appointed by Beijing to tackle the health crisis.

The epidemiologist, 83, also forecast that China would not see a second wave of infections 'due to our powerful monitoring system'.

'As more countries have imposed strong measures, I estimate that it should be around the end of April when [the number of new confirmed cases] would decline,' Dr Zhong said to a reporter

Dr Zhong made the comments during an interview with Shenzhen Television Station today.

He said: 'To deal with [the novel coronavirus pneumonia], which is highly infectious and has, we should say, a high mortality rate… there are two methods.

'One is to suppress [the transmission rate] to the lowest level and stop it from spreading, and then buy more time.

'The other is to delay [the transmissions] and reduce the number of patients through some methods.

'As more countries have imposed strong measures, I estimate that it should be around the end of April when [the number of new confirmed cases] would decline.'

Dr Zhong also dismissed claims that the country is facing a looming new outbreak due to the so-called 'silent carrier', who are infected with the virus but show no symptoms.

He said no evidence showed that asymptomatic cases have a high transmission rate.

People in China have also feared that those who test positive again after being declared recovered could bring risks to their communities.

Commenting on that, Dr Zhong said the chances of recovered patients being infected again were small due to the antibodies in their bodies.

And even they do test positive once more in rare cases, the transmission rate of these people would be low because 'no live viruses have been cultivated from test samples of such cases'.

Aslan

Well nobody trusts china anymore. This has been a PR disaster for China. Chinese thought too much of themselves.
China did not report the outbreak for two weeks because the local officials did not take it seriously.It was not only China other countries were very lax and did not take strict measures.I booked a holiday to Spain from 16th to 23 March.I was very reluctant but my wife wanted to go.As it happened British Airways cancelled all flights and we did not go(we got our money back).I was telling everyone in my family in February not to use public transport in London but they were laughing at me.In UK they started taking it seriously just over two weeks ago.

Reason

Minister (2k+ posts)
China did not report the outbreak for two weeks because the local officials did not take it seriously.It was not only China other countries were very lax and did not take strict measures.I booked a holiday to Spain from 16th to 23 March.I was very reluctant but my wife wanted to go.As it happened British Airways cancelled all flights and we did not go(we got our money back).I was telling everyone in my family in February not to use public transport in London but they were laughing at me.In UK they started taking it seriously just over two weeks ago.

Why did they arrest the doctor who tried to warn of this virus? Yes other countries like Italy, Spain, and USA responded poorly. But the virus originated from China. SARS also came from China.

Ko Ko Korina

Councller (250+ posts)
1st COVID19 case appeared in November 2019

By end of 2nd week of December 2019, Doctors in Wuhan China had identify that they were facing something "different"

For 4 cruical weeks, China tried to blackout the News and did not provide
clear picture to WHO

&

the
rest is history

AbbuJee

Even after it was known by the WORLD, it took 2 months for the WORLD to act. The same WORLD who was making fun of China's actions to quarantine, lock-down, social distancing, even wearing masks.

Today they admin that wearing mask may have helped Asia in containing since the carrier without symptoms would still infect others, so if everyone would wear masks, the chances of spread decreases.